SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

59 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Toews gives as much love to UND as Parise does.

Whatever happened to David (I've only heard rumors) were David's issues and his issues alone. UND doesn't hand out roster spots to players, they are earned and David wasn't as good as he thought he was.

I think some people feel that Toews should have brought the Cup to UND, therefore is not as "loyal." 

I'm not one of those people. You just didnt hear much out of Toews because he wasn't active on social media until recently. 

Not gonna touch the issue with his bro, though. I also heard the rumors. 

5 hours ago, Fetch said:

My take on Toews was he was really young & Dumb about most everything but Hockey when he was here

Not at all what I heard.  A young, but very mature and focused man.  That's precisely why he was captain of an NHL team at such a young age. 

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think some people feel that Toews should have brought the Cup to UND, therefore is not as "loyal." 

I'm not one of those people. You just didnt hear much out of Toews because he wasn't active on social media until recently. 

Not gonna touch the issue with his bro, though. I also heard the rumors. 

Whether he's miffed at UND or not; 3 Cups won but no trips to Grand Forks...just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Whether he's miffed at UND or not; 3 Cups won but no trips to Grand Forks...just sayin'.

Just because a UND alum wins the cup, does not mean they have to bring it back to GF. Not every player who has won it has brought it back. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I liked what I saw of what Toews did with the cup the last time had it.  He's a class act.  He's also been very complimentary of the time he spent at UND and how his game grew there. 

8 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Just because a UND alum wins the cup, does not mean they have to bring it back to GF. Not every player who has won it has brought it back. 

True...but its sweet when they do.

16 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Toews gives as much love to UND as Parise does.

Whatever happened to David (I've only heard rumors) were David's issues and his issues alone. UND doesn't hand out roster spots to players, they are earned and David wasn't as good as he thought he was.

No clue, and I certainly am not going to criticize how UND handles its hockey player from a playing time or roster perspective. I was just speculating in response to some other  comments. David certainly had opportunities to play and didn't exactly do a ton with it. To be fair, there may have been some lofty expectations (particularly from fans) purely because of his last name and the success his brother had. Nevertheless, I don't care who you are, how high of draft  pick you are, or what you have done in the past, you spot on the roster needs to be based on your effort, motivation, and current production (not necessarily measured by points either). 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

True...but its sweet when they do.

It sure is nice when they do bring it back to GF but we as fans need to realize that these guys only played at UND for a short time. It's one thing if they bring it to Vegas and just walk around with it but if they choose to bring it back to their hometown and show it off to the local children's hospital/ youth sports teams, I won't criticize them for that. 

• Upvote 2

Who cares if they don't bring the cup back to UND.  It doesn't mean that they aren't loyal or faithful to UND anymore. Toews played 2 years of his hockey life here, very little compared to the rest of his life.    

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Who cares if they don't bring the cup back to UND.  It doesn't mean that they aren't loyal or faithful to UND anymore. Toews played 2 years of his hockey life here, very little compared to the rest of his life.    

Which brings up another interesting point.  We read all the time how former players sign these big contracts.  Curious to see how loyal they are in the area of donating back to the University that gave them the opportunity to better their career.  Now I am not talking about guys like Nick who get their rookie deal.  I'm talking about the Toews or Parise's out there that sign tens of million dollar contacts.  Is that something that is public info?  Or can a guy like Parise make an anonymous donation to the athletic department (specifically hockey)?

6 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Again who cares?  They don't owe UND or us anything.  Toews / Parise would have been successful ANYWHERE they went. Let's not kid ourselves, UND is doesn't have a monopoly on developing players.  Sure, in my opinion, it's the best college hockey route, but let's not act like former players owe UND or us as fans anything except continued verbal support. 

Neither does anyone else, technically, but people choose to give back/pay forward in recognition of the services and life impact UND provided.  No need to get so upset and defensive, he was just asking a question.

To @Siouxperfan7's question, names of donors and donation amounts are not public info, unless the donor chooses to allow the university to publicize it.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Neither does anyone else, technically, but people choose to give back/pay forward in recognition of the services and life impact UND provided.  No need to get so upset and defensive, he was just asking a question.

To @Siouxperfan7's question, names of donors and donation amounts are not public info, unless the donor chooses to allow the university to publicize it.

I believe Matt Greene has a scholarship in his name...

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm not upset or defensive at all. Just stating my thoughts.

When players and alumni give back financially or just with moral support, either way, it doesn't matter.   My whole point is that fans sometimes act like former players should be thanking the university forever and always for everything good that happens to them.  It's just not true, especially with top end talent, we are fortunate that they chose/choose UND for 2-3 years of their development.   

If they win the cup and decide to spend the day on a mountain top or on a lazy river with family, instead of bringing it to Grand Forks, good for them. Let's not take that as an offensive toward the program, Grand Forks, or their own Sioux legacy.  

4 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Again who cares?  They don't owe UND or us anything.  Toews / Parise would have been successful ANYWHERE they went. Let's not kid ourselves, UND is doesn't have a monopoly on developing players.  Sure, in my opinion, it's the best college hockey route, but let's not act like former players owe UND or us as fans anything except continued verbal support. 

I bet London gets huge donations from their alums, right UNDBIZ? ;)