SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

John will bust some ankles and get noticed. He’s got a gift.

I still love that 1 yard TD run against Wyoming where he made the defender eat air in the backfield.  The entire game was a breakout game for John, but seeing how easily he made that guy miss.........you knew he was going to be something special. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I still love that 1 yard TD run against Wyoming where he made the defender eat air in the backfield.  The entire game was a breakout game for John, but seeing how easily he made that guy miss.........you knew he was going to be something special. 

Some kids are just really good at tag from day one and they end up making people look silly in football years later.

Not posting this to bash anyone, but this is factual.  Roc Thomas was sentenced to probation for MJ possession.  Probably won't get kicked off the team because of this, but if he's a borderline player anyways, and if the coaches care about character at all, maybe this will make it "easier" for a rookie to land a spot on the practice squad at RB.  https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/01/vikings-roc-thomas-sentenced-felony-marijuana/

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Not posting this to bash anyone, but this is factual.  Roc Thomas was sentenced to probation for MJ possession.  Probably won't get kicked off the team because of this, but if he's a borderline player anyways, and if the coaches care about character at all, maybe this will make it "easier" for a rookie to land a spot on the practice squad at RB.  https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/01/vikings-roc-thomas-sentenced-felony-marijuana/

This story is featured on the next episode of "Keep'n it reelz gone wrong".

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Should be interesting to see where Brady O goes tonight in the CFL draft. This article mentions him among the top RBs: https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/01/primer-need-know-2019-cfl-draft/

I know they can obviously sign non Canadians, like Dressler, but for the draft is it only Canadians that can be drafted or can they draft anybody? 

21 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I know they can obviously sign non Canadians, like Dressler, but for the draft is it only Canadians that can be drafted or can they draft anybody? 

Good question. I know there are roster limitations so I did some digging and found: CFL roster sizes are 46 players (rather than 53 as in the NFL, though only 45 will dress for a game). A CFL team may dress up to 44 players comprising 21 "nationals" (essentially, Canadians), 20 "internationals" (almost exclusively Americans), and 3 quarterbacks.

• Upvote 1

Brady was taken in the second round at 14th overall. Congrats to him.

Do you think he kept any nfl camp invites on the down low so it wouldn’t hurt his chances at a high cfl draft pick? I would assume they wouldn’t want to burn a high pick on a guy that might jump to the nfl

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

CFL draft is for Canadians only. For Americans l, each team gets a negotiation list of 50 players who could be in college or the NFL.    The players can be added or dropped at any point as long as they aren’t on another teams list.  If a player wants to come to the CFL and they are on a list the team must offer them a contract within two weeks or they are released.  These lists are generally kept quiet from the public.   If Americans aren’t on a list they can be signed as Free Agents.  

5 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Great article about Santiago and Oliveira by Patrick Reusse in the spirts section of today’s Minnneapolis Star Tribune....

Thanks for letting us know about the article....here it is:  http://www.startribune.com/north-dakota-running-back-john-santiago-fighting-above-his-weight-for-shot-in-the-nfl/509462572/

Good luck John!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Well they signed an eagles cornerback and WR Darius Shepherd today. Haven’t seen any other announcements.

GB only had spots to sign two players so Harris will likely head to Redskins camp.

10 hours ago, southpaw said:

GB only had spots to sign two players so Harris will likely head to Redskins camp.

They only signed one rookie (Shepherd) from their mini camp. The CB  they signed after mini camp is a second year player the Eagles let go.  

On 5/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Any news on Santiago or Harris? Will they try the CFL route next?

No news is not a good sign. John will land somewhere in the CFL at best, and Harris is likely done. Pretty disappointing end result considering the hype this class had through the years. How many of us would've guessed this empty result after their Sophomore season? We all know that Brady's CFL shot probably wouldn't even exist if he wasn't a Canadian. I hope he's able to develop some with his new staff before the season starts and I hope he's able to take advantage of his opportunity. 

How many of these Cow U kids that just signed were at the same level as Brady and John their Sophomore seasons? Outside of Stick my guess would be 0. Both Brady and John went backwards instead of forward after their sophomore seasons which shines a bright light on the UND coaching staff's development abilities. They got passed up HARD by kids in their class around the country. I'm really really hoping a lot of that had to do with their limitations caused by Rudy, but deep down I know he was only a portion of the problem. Time will tell, but UND isn't going to get many Kleinsasser caliber players to lean on for NFL production. Remember, UND is a FCS program where NFL production is an important attraction for top recruits. If an upper midwest recruit was to compare with the other 3 local team's NFL production list, they'll notice UND is far behind, if they're even included on the list whatsoever. Unfortunately they're actually behind several of the local d2 programs as well...

As much as I'd like to be excited about the future of the UND football program, I just can't get myself to trust Bubba's system. It's hard to even get excited about seeing some top recruits sign because I don't trust the development skills of this staff, so it doesn't seem to matter who they land. Which I think is a fair argument after seeing what happened to John, Brady, Reyes, Harris, Harris, and now what we're seeing happen to Kett and some of these LB and OL. Yes some of those had to do with injuries, but that's a part of the game and other teams are getting through it. 

Next year will be a .500 season at best with a few blowout losses. My opinion is that the Rudy termination was done 2 seasons too late and the Bubba change will come 1 season too late. Either way I'll be watching their games and contributing in any way I can, but I'm just a bit frustrated. Hopefully I break fewer remotes next season now that my expectations are a little lower. 

• Upvote 1