SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

It seems to be a trend from year to year that relatively unknown guys will run and jump at a pro-day and in comparison to the guys at the combine will out perform in many categories. 

Is there a standard at the combine that makes the times trend upward? Is there more pressure on kids while at the combine so they underperform? It just seems to me, people usually don’t run and jump their career best at the combine from year to year.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It seems to be a trend from year to year that relatively unknown guys will run and jump at a pro-day and in comparison to the guys at the combine will out perform in many categories. 

Is there a standard at the combine that makes the times trend upward? Is there more pressure on kids while at the combine so they underperform? It just seems to me, people usually don’t run and jump their career best at the combine from year to year.

Curious how you would be familiar with their career bests.

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Curious how you would be familiar with their career bests.

When you watch the combine, they’ll often give some context as to what they are expecting from each athlete based on previous performances. 

“This guy has been as clocked as fast as 4.4 in the past” or “he has jumped x inches and we expect him to be our best jumper today”

It just seems rare that a player has their best times/jumps at the combine.

you disagree?

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

When you watch the combine, they’ll often give some context as to what they are expecting from each athlete based on previous performances. 

“This guy has been as clocked as fast as 4.4 in the past” or “he has jumped x inches and we expect him to be our best jumper today”

you disagree?

Although nerves and environment probably play a part, I'd definitely question the validity of individual bests measured by the athlete's coaching staff.

18 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although nerves and environment probably play a part, I'd definitely question the validity of individual bests measured by the athlete's coaching staff.

Agreed.

How do the testing standards compare at the combine vs a pro day? Identical you’d think right?

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

you disagree?

The Issue isn’t whatever they were clocked at in the past because they were never at the combine previously and were never subject to their means of measurement.  Also some guys just don’t test well, they have game speed.  I also think a lot of the top guys are victims of hype where their legend outgrows their physical capabilities.  This would make it easy for an unheralded player to seemingly outperform their expectations.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

Draft is around the corner. 

Any thoughts on the Sioux hopeful?

All likely undrafted FAs - don’t expect any to be drafted. Hope a few make the 90 man roster for training camp. It will be an uphill battle for any of them to make a final roster, but I’ll be rooting for them. 

John Santiago, Brady Oliveira, and Deion Harris are likely top 3. I’m less hopeful with Tank Harris and Austin Cieslak, but you never know. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

All likely undrafted FAs - don’t expect any to be drafted. Hope a few make the 90 man roster for training camp. It will be an uphill battle for any of them to make a final roster, but I’ll be rooting for them. 

John Santiago, Brady Oliveira, and Deion Harris are likely top 3. I’m less hopeful with Tank Harris and Austin Cieslak, but you never know. 

Cieslak could make it happen in the right situation. He’s got the frame and length.

I follow Dane Brugler, who is the Athletic's draft expert. I think he's done an excellent job in previous drafts. Here's what he has to say about our UND players:

Brugler rated Santiago as the 58st best RB in the draft, which places him pretty far outside of the category of "draftable" or "priority free agent." Hopefully someone measures his heart and not his size; if so I think they'll find he could have a shot as a special teams player. Here's a video from KARE 11 in the Cities: https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/minnesota-native-preparing-for-nfl-draft/89-fe8cb4dd-94ec-41e5-8794-0698e78da985

Brady is not listed on Brugler's RB list. I would expect him to make a CFL roster. Coach Agnew has been consistantly posting Brady's pre-draft workout videos, which are all impressive. Interestingly, none of the other players are getting the same social media attention as Olivera. 

Deion is listed as Dane's 52nd rated DB, which is pretty high on Brugler's list, and puts him two spots away from from being considered a "priority free agent." He's the highest rated of the all of the UND guys. Based on this I would think he's got a decent shot at a FA contract.

Tank and Austin are not listed on Brugler's list.

It would be great for all them to get a FA contract and have a shot to make a roster. I'm rooting for them!

• Upvote 1

Brady is at least a lock for the CFL.

$60,000 is a lot less than $450,000 but still getting paid for football and still a long shot opportunity for the NFL in future years.

Santiago certainly may hang around somewhere as RB's are highly valued

Someone did find out that 40% of UDFA did make NFL rosters between active and practice squad

Kinda disappointed the AFA folded. It was a good opportunity for FCS kids to get some attention at a higher level. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I follow Dane Brugler, who is the Athletic's draft expert. I think he's done an excellent job in previous drafts. Here's what he has to say about our UND players:

Brugler rated Santiago as the 58st best RB in the draft, which places him pretty far outside of the category of "draftable" or "priority free agent." Hopefully someone measures his heart and not his size; if so I think they'll find he could have a shot as a special teams player. Here's a video from KARE 11 in the Cities: https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/minnesota-native-preparing-for-nfl-draft/89-fe8cb4dd-94ec-41e5-8794-0698e78da985

Brady is not listed on Brugler's RB list. I would expect him to make a CFL roster. Coach Agnew has been consistantly posting Brady's pre-draft workout videos, which are all impressive. Interestingly, none of the other players are getting the same social media attention as Olivera. 

Deion is listed as Dane's 52nd rated DB, which is pretty high on Brugler's list, and puts him two spots away from from being considered a "priority free agent." He's the highest rated of the all of the UND guys. Based on this I would think he's got a decent shot at a FA contract.

Tank and Austin are not listed on Brugler's list.

It would be great for all them to get a FA contract and have a shot to make a roster. I'm rooting for them!

If healthy I think Santiago can make an NFL roster because of his elusiveness in space and strength for his size.   Look at his Washington Highlights for a reminder.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, northernraider said:

Brady is at least a lock for the CFL.

$60,000 is a lot less than $450,000 but still getting paid for football and still a long shot opportunity for the NFL in future years.

Santiago certainly may hang around somewhere as RB's are highly valued

Someone did find out that 40% of UDFA did make NFL rosters between active and practice squad

Kinda disappointed the AFA folded. It was a good opportunity for FCS kids to get some attention at a higher level. 

He will get more than that in the CFL. Entry level salaries are higher than entry level American salaries