Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

Former Players

Recommended Posts

3 of 5 getting NFL opportunities thus far.

RB Oliveira and DL Cieslak still not accounted for. As said earlier, Oliveira may be settling in for CFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

3 of 5 getting NFL opportunities thus far.

RB Oliveira and DL Cieslak still not accounted for. As said earlier, Oliveira may be settling in for CFL. 

Getting an opportunity but very much a long shot. It is much better to be an un-drafted free agent than a training camp invitee. All an invitee gets is his expenses paid and a day or two to impress enough to get an UDFA contract.  Less than 10% of rookie mini-camp invitees get a contract after the two days. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Getting an opportunity but very much a long shot. It is much better to be an un-drafted free agent than a training camp invitee. All an invitee gets is his expenses paid and a day or two to impress enough to get an UDFA contract.  Less than 10% of rookie mini-camp invitees get a contract after the two days. 

I thought the bison were expecting to have more than just one player getting drafted, and Stick at one time had been rumored to go much earlier.   Do you think the Robbins’ comments about illegal substance use being widespread throughout the locker room had anything to do with the bison’s disappointing draft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I thought the bison were expecting to have more than just one player getting drafted, and Stick at one time had been rumored to go much earlier.   Do you think the Robbins’ comments about illegal substance use being widespread throughout the locker room had anything to do with the bison’s disappointing draft?

My uniformed opinion 

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I thought the bison were expecting to have more than just one player getting drafted, and Stick at one time had been rumored to go much earlier.   Do you think the Robbins’ comments about illegal substance use being widespread throughout the locker room had anything to do with the bison’s disappointing draft?

No, it’s just what bison fans do every year, they prove how ill informed they are. They would have told you Stick was going on day two. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I thought the bison were expecting to have more than just one player getting drafted, and Stick at one time had been rumored to go much earlier.   Do you think the Robbins’ comments about illegal substance use being widespread throughout the locker room had anything to do with the bison’s disappointing draft?

There was nothing disappointing in their draft results. Stick goes to a team where he can learn under one of the top QB’s in the league. He is also a great guy. He is athletic enough to make the team and maybe develop into a starter some day. The guys who sign as free agents get about the same deal as the 6th and 7th rounders. The Robbins deal isn’t going to influence who is drafted. You do realize teams draft players who light up the drug test at the combine and draft guys who are arrested for theft/assault/drugs. They aren’t worried about someone’s teammates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a quick glance at the Vikings roster, it's not a bad situation for Santiago if he can get a camp spot. After Cook, it's a bunch of nobody's. He's going to do his thing and make people miss every play which is a talent you can't teach.  If he can show them he's got the ability to be their Tereke Cohen he could make the team. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess my attempt at trolling nd1sufan, after he comes on here for the first time in months just to explain in intricate detail the slim odds of our guys making a squad, was taken literally. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

After a quick glance at the Vikings roster, it's not a bad situation for Santiago if he can get a camp spot. After Cook, it's a bunch of nobody's. He's going to do his thing and make people miss every play which is a talent you can't teach.  If he can show them he's got the ability to be their Tereke Cohen he could make the team. 

He needs to win the spot in the return game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

After a quick glance at the Vikings roster, it's not a bad situation for Santiago if he can get a camp spot. After Cook, it's a bunch of nobody's. He's going to do his thing and make people miss every play which is a talent you can't teach.  If he can show them he's got the ability to be their Tereke Cohen he could make the team. 

Santiago is somewhat similar to McKinnon and the Vikings never really McKinnon after he left last year. It won't be easy to get noticed, but I'd say that there is an opportunity with the Vikes for a guy with Santiago's skill set, especially given Dalvin Cook's injury issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Santiago is somewhat similar to McKinnon and the Vikings never really McKinnon after he left last year. It won't be easy to get noticed, but I'd say that there is an opportunity with the Vikes for a guy with Santiago's skill set, especially given Dalvin Cook's injury issues.

John will bust some ankles and get noticed. He’s got a gift.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

John will bust some ankles and get noticed. He’s got a gift.

Do they go live at all during the rookie mini camps? If so, that would be to John's benefit I would think.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Marcus Sherels not on the team anymore, I think Santiago's best change at making the Vikings roster is as a punt returner.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

With Marcus Sherels not on the team anymore, I think Santiago's best change at making the Vikings roster is as a punt returner.  

I'm hoping that punt returner is enough to get him a contract.  If he can spend more time in camp they will see how valuable he is as a RB and slot guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

With Marcus Sherels not on the team anymore, I think Santiago's best change at making the Vikings roster is as a punt returner.  

Sherels was pretty solid at catching the ball and making good decisions, but athletically not real gifted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

With Marcus Sherels not on the team anymore, I think Santiago's best change at making the Vikings roster is as a punt returner.  

You're right, special teams is the easiest way for UDFAs to make the roster. That may well be why the Viking's invited him.

 Still, he does seem to fit Jet McKinnon's at RB role well, and  McKinnon was, after all,  an FCS guy too.

Who knows? I'm a Viking fan, so whatever's good for the Vikes is good with me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You're right, special teams is the easiest way for UDFAs to make the roster.

The more I think about it, Sherels signing with the Saints is good news for John Santiago. It means there's a position open to competition. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The more I think about it, Sherels signing with the Saints is good news for John Santiago. It means there's a position open to competition. 

PSU punt return at 2:20:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vikes did re-sign Ameer Abdullah but a quick look shows he has only returned kickoffs and not punts in his NFL career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...