SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

That NDSU game was very important for the growth of this team. I couldn't disagree more with you. That loss did not keep us out. That three game stretch of Bartels kept us out.

I disagree. That loss was one factor that kept us out.  I disagreed with playing them before we were ready.  That was Bubba's decision.  Faison discussed it with UND FB alumni before he agreed to schedule the game. A lot of the older guys wanted to resume the series.  A lot of guys didn't want to under the terms offered by the AC.  Bubba stood up and said he wanted to schedule them. My feeling was if the coaches want to play it, and can get our kids ready then we should support the coach.  We obviously were not ready. The fact is if we play and beat any other FCS team we are in.  You don't need to get your butt kicked to measure where we are.  Most knowledgeable fans and certainly the coaches should have been able to make that clear. Losing a playoff selection isn't worth that measuring stick.

To blame Bartles for 3 losses isn't fair to Bartels.  He didn't lose those games, he was the QB in 2 games we lost and part of a third. Studsrud was QB against the AC but it wasn't his fault we got our but kicked.  Why were either Weber or Idaho still in those games in the 4th quarter?   We had 14 point leads.  If we are a playoff team we need to put those games away.  We do that in either game and we are in despite the loss to the AC.  There were 10 other guys on offense and our defense and special teams who also should have played better. I think by the end of the year Studsrud was arguably the most improved player on the team.  He wasn't much of a factor in the earlier games other than he was adequate and wasn't a negative factor.  These last 3 games and especially the last 2, he was near perfect.  He was a positive factor and potential difference maker. The oline gave him plenty of time to throw.  Had they done that for him earlier in the year I think he could have done the same thing.  Had they done that for Bartels we probably win those 2 games.  It is a team game and I think the loss of Reyes was a bigger factor than the loss of Studsrud.

Lastly, the win against Wyoming wasn't such a positive factor cuz they were terrible.  The blow out losses to the AC and to Montana where we couldn't even compete were big negative factors.  We controlled our own destiny and screwed the pooch.  We need to focus on the things we can control. 

I think we deserved to get in but these things happen when you put yourselves on the "bubble".  We made progress this year.  The guys we have returning and coaches need to keep improving, we need to continue improving our recruiting and we need to get phase 2 of our new facility done. We made strides this year.  On selection day next year,  the talk shouldn't be about whether

we get in but who we play and whether or not we have a first round bye.

• Upvote 2

Hard to imaginbe that we would not mop the floor with the likes of William and Mary. Little else to do but root for the Big Sky teams.

Or, we can hit the film room, weight room and field and prepare to dominate the BSC next year. Let's just focus our business and be ready for them to ring the bell in 2016. But I agree, we would have stunned some teams in the playoffs this year with the execution and confidence we played with the past few weeks. 

I disagree. That loss was one factor that kept us out.  I disagreed with playing them before we were ready.  That was Bubba's decision.  Faison discussed it with UND FB alumni before he agreed to schedule the game. A lot of the older guys wanted to resume the series.  A lot of guys didn't want to under the terms offered by the AC.  Bubba stood up and said he wanted to schedule them. My feeling was if the coaches want to play it, and can get our kids ready then we should support the coach.  We obviously were not ready. The fact is if we play and beat any other FCS team we are in.  You don't need to get your butt kicked to measure where we are.  Most knowledgeable fans and certainly the coaches should have been able to make that clear. Losing a playoff selection isn't worth that measuring stick.

To blame Bartles for 3 losses isn't fair to Bartels.  He didn't lose those games, he was the QB in 2 games we lost and part of a third. Studsrud was QB against the AC but it wasn't his fault we got our but kicked.  Why were either Weber or Idaho still in those games in the 4th quarter?   We had 14 point leads.  If we are a playoff team we need to put those games away.  We do that in either game and we are in despite the loss to the AC.  There were 10 other guys on offense and our defense and special teams who also should have played better. I think by the end of the year Studsrud was arguably the most improved player on the team.  He wasn't much of a factor in the earlier games other than he was adequate and wasn't a negative factor.  These last 3 games and especially the last 2, he was near perfect.  He was a positive factor and potential difference maker. The oline gave him plenty of time to throw.  Had they done that for him earlier in the year I think he could have done the same thing.  Had they done that for Bartels we probably win those 2 games.  It is a team game and I think the loss of Reyes was a bigger factor than the loss of Studsrud.

Lastly, the win against Wyoming wasn't such a positive factor cuz they were terrible.  The blow out losses to the AC and to Montana where we couldn't even compete were big negative factors.  We controlled our own destiny and screwed the pooch.  We need to focus on the things we can control. 

I think we deserved to get in but these things happen when you put yourselves on the "bubble".  We made progress this year.  The guys we have returning and coaches need to keep improving, we need to continue improving our recruiting and we need to get phase 2 of our new facility done. We made strides this year.  On selection day next year,  the talk shouldn't be about whether

we get in but who we play and whether or not we have a first round bye.

I agree.  I don't see how failing miserably on one test (playing on the road in hostile conditions) is an indicator you will fare any better the next time.

True statement bit doesn't excuse the fact UND got hosed.

I agree, we should be in ahead of a few other teams. This team was primed for a run in the playoffs. Maybe the committee saw that too and chose not to invite us. But, the best way to eliminate the politics is to win the winnable games and destroy the outclassed teams...show no mercy. We surerly got hosed, but we left the door open to get hosed. I don't think it will happen next year.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  I don't see how failing miserably on one test (playing on the road in hostile conditions) is an indicator you will fare any better the next time.

But Western Illinois got beat by that same team by a worse score and had a worse record.

• Upvote 1

I agree, we should be in ahead of a few other teams. This team was primed for a run in the playoffs. Maybe the committee saw that too and chose not to invite us. But, the best way to eliminate the politics is to win the winnable games and destroy the outclassed teams...show no mercy. We surerly got hosed, but we left the door open to get hosed. I don't think it will happen next year.

I disagree.  The NCAA did an excellent job scheduling two easy bus rides with Western Illinois.  With EIU there's um......I got nothing:)

I believe winning is a process. How many times have we seen pro teams in the NFL, NBA etc. get close before they break through and when they do, its with a loud bang. I see UND in that same process now. This playoff snub is disappointing but its also a test to find out how bad do the players and coaches really want it? If they grind this offseason with the talent on this roster, good things are coming by the truckload for this program. Its all in how we handle it over the next 8 months.

• Upvote 2

I've never once trolled on this board. Try again.

My posting theme in this thread revolves around the original poster saying UND's win over PSU trumps WIU's win over SDSU. I disagreed. If that sort of discussion is trolling than you need thicker skin my friend.

I don't think we are friends, are we?  Doesn't really matter what you are saying.  The fact is you saw no reason to post here while UND was winning late in their schedule.  You show up again when things go bad for us.

That's not part of the equation on whether SDSU or PSU is the better team.

The fact is SDSU lost to 3 playoff teams, PSU lost to 2 non playoff teams.

If PSU beats UNI in the playoffs, I'll believe they are for real.

UND is as good as a playoff team, so don't use that crap that PSU lost to two playoff teams. They lost to one team that is not playoff material, just like NDSU dropped a pathetic game vs. South Dakota.

We got hosed but nothing we can do about it now. I hope our players use it as motivation for next year remembering no lead is safe and they need to finish those games. We could have been 9-2 but we collapsed twice. I think this is good motivation but playoff experience would be better next year. I am all for the F'Hawk You Tour that is going to happen next year though.

Really excited to see how Bubba can finish up this class. We have some solid recruits committed now but lets not lose any of them. I am pumped for the future!

As down as I am right now, I think we can agree that bubba has this program on the rise!   We were THAT close!   With all the talent coming back I hope the kids will feel motivated to prove the doubters wrong.  Off season starts today, time to get to work.   7 true fresh played in the 2 deep and load of sophomores! Future is bright 

• Upvote 2

You know it's bad when someone/something can make me agree with McFeely:

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2015/11/22/fcs-playoffs-taking-on-division-ii-boring-feel/

The FCS selection committee is to college football what Don Adam is to college hockey: they make it up as they go.

Edited by The Sicatoka

only positive thing from this is it shows just how watered down the ndac's championships are...a bunch schools leaving for the fbs, no ivy league, no swac, no meac, auto bids from d2 conferences pretty much and bunch of hacks allowing alphabet schools to get into the playoffs that don't deserve it???  

what an absolute joke...

Edited by SIOUXFAN97
  • Downvote 4

only positive thing from this is it shows just how watered down the ndac's championships are...a bunch schools leaving for the fbs, no ivy league, no swac, no meac, auto bids from d2 conferences pretty much and bunch of hacks allowing alphabet schools to get into the playoffs that don't deserve it???  

what an absolute joke...

Watered down NC's - really?  And yet you guys can't get into the field of 24!

Edited by Bison Dan
  • Upvote 1