SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

my opinion is 7 wins, and we were kept out.  8 wins and we wouldn't be having this conversation on why we were left out.  I'm not close to the team so can't comment on the intangibles regarding ndsu.  But the collapses in Weber and ISU still happened despite whatever growth happened at ndsu.  Bartels didn't play D in those games.....would've been nice if Arnell could have.   

If we beat Idaho State or manage clock better at Weber State we are high fiving playoffs right now.

• Upvote 2

Which is better: win over PSU or SDSU? 

Answer: Which one is a top 8 seed? 

disagree, I think SDSU is the better team. I think PSU is a good team, but losses to UND and more importantly northern Colorado two non playoff teams show that they won't make a long run in the playoffs in my mind. I don't think SDSU would lose to either of those teams. I believe a team is only as good as its losses. Yes that includes NDSU.

ALL of SDSU's losses are to playoff teams.

Edited by Bison06
  • Downvote 2

Portland St had the right to be upset as well. If their name is EWU with the exact same resume, they're probably a top 3 seed. 2 wins over fbs, one against a very good team and one absolutely dominating. Their losses came against UND, a team with a similar resume to Montana, and weber st, a better team on paper than south Dakota.....

disagree, I think SDSU is the better team. I think PSU is a good team, but losses to UND and more importantly northern Colorado two non playoff teams show that they won't make a long run in the playoffs in my mind. I don't think SDSU would lose to either of those teams. I believe a team is only as good as its losses. Yes that includes NDSU.

What do ndsu's losses to Montana and south Dakota show, as far as playoff potential? 

So, you are into moral victories...  I look at wins - PSU has the most impressive win in FCS.  They beat a FBS 8-3 Washington State.

whoooo - I missed your comment about SDSU vs UND and SDSU would win.  The way UND is playing right now - UND vs SDSU is no gimme for SDSU.

Edited by FSSD
had to add to my rant

ALL of SDSU's losses are to playoff teams.

So they're well coached enough to not have let downs against bad teams, but not talented enough to beat good teams. Sounds like they're way better than a seeded PSU that beat 2 fbs teams who are both better than any win sdsu has. 

i am talking about pass coverage scheme when teams decide they want to air it out. Go nickle or dime package and mix man with zone.

we need another element to the d package when teams go pass happy, yes, but mostly we need to work on positioning and ball skills.  A lot of times we were really close, just need to win more 1 on 1 battles.  

We didn't have the personel to do that this year. Maybe at the end when the CBs seemed to get their !@#$ together. Next year I predict our secondary will be a strength. Book it.

I think that's right, the staff felt better with our outside backers on the field compared to bringing in another safety or corner.

No. We need to win more game period.

THIS!!

One negative of the boards is the excuses people come up with as though the whole world is against UND. I can't even go to a hockey game night thread without reading about how the refs are out to get us.

Maybe we do "deserve" it more than a team or two, but we had the games in our hand and we blew them.

This should be the BEST thing to happen to this team. Their should be a chip (as another poster noted) that causes them to use this pain for the next several months in the weight room or wherever they develop skills. This should show recruits they can become part of a team on the upswing that will be in the race next year. This can be a good thing.

• Upvote 1