SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

So the "7 DI wins" standard is now proven to be fallacy. 

Is this a first move by the FCS to move to a 32 team field? To do that you'd have to take some 6-5 schools. Precedent set.

How about a 9-2 NC A&T or an 8-3 North Carolina Central? Or a 9-2 San Diego or Jacksonville if it all about the number of wins. Have you ever seen an 18-12 major ACC school gat an at large bid over a 26-4 mid major? WIU over UND is the same thing. WIU plays in the toughest FCS conference in the country and was 5-3 in it. They deserve to be in. You may have a case over EIU, but not WIU. They put all 5 MVFC teams on the same side of the bracket because they knew that was the only way to avoid another all MVFC final. They don't want that to happen again.

• Downvote 11

How about a 9-2 NC A&T or an 8-3 North Carolina Central? Or a 9-2 San Diego or Jacksonville if it all about the number of wins. Have you ever seen an 18-12 major ACC school gat an at large bid over a 26-4 mid major? WIU over UND is the same thing. WIU plays in the toughest FCS conference in the country and was 5-3 in it. They deserve to be in. You may have a case over EIU, but not WIU. They put all 5 MVFC teams on the same side of the bracket because they knew that was the only way to avoid another all MVFC final. They don't want that to happen again.

Waah!  The MVFC got so shafted that it's criminal. 

There are a few teams that are damn glad we are out of it.

Just for the record, this is one of my least favorite statements of all time. Aj Mazzolini is parroting some UM fans saying "no one wants to see us in the post season," and I know SU fans are huge into the "no one wants to be in the fargodome" (which is true). I'd like our defense to develop the mentality that they look forward to the big dogs.

OK then, given the FCS said UND was first out, why'd EIU make the cut? 

WIU is first team to make playoffs without 7 wins since forever.  Definitely a case to be made that they didn't deserve to be in.

Edited by Siouxperman8
  • Upvote 1

And UND with their 61 total yards was competive against NDSU? You are dumb and dumber and dumbest if you think the Fighting Hawks were competive against NDSU. 

you are right. we weren't competitive against NDSU at that time of the year.  

Do you feel WIU was competitive when they gave up a mere 59 in their 59-7 loss to NDSU? 

• Upvote 1

OK then, given the FCS said UND was first out, why'd EIU make the cut? 

I don't know. You may have a case over EIU, but everybody seems to be talking about a 6 win WIU team getting in as a travesty when it is not. If you aren't going to take strength of schedule and stength of conference into consideration, then you take a 9 win MEAC team or a 9 win Patriot Team over any 7 or 8 win team from another conference.

• Downvote 1

you are right. we weren't competitive against NDSU at that time of the year.  

Do you feel WIU was competitive when they gave up a mere 59 in their 59-7 loss to NDSU? 

Easton Stick put the 59 onto WIU. I recall this Wentz fellow playing against UND. 

I don't know. You may have a case over EIU, but everybody seems to be talking about a 6 win WIU team getting in as a travesty when it is not. If you aren't going to take strength of schedule and stength of conference into consideration, then you take a 9 win MEAC team or a 9 win Patriot Team over any 7 or 8 win team from another conference.

Your answer, "I don't know," is what I have the hard spot with. Maybe I'm spoiled by the analytic approach of NCAA ice hockey (PWR); maybe I don't like an undefined process because it gives too many openings for back room graft. 

SFI stated on twitter today something to the effect of 'leave it the NCAA to do something so stupid that it unites both halves of North Dakota.' And that was a nice thought. And it was true.

To say that UND got hosed, but then defend the interpretation of criteria that the NCAA used in picking WIU over them, is contradictory. Period. Definitely the language on here has been:

UND fans: look at who we beat, versus who they beat

NDSU fans: but, look at who WIU played.

There is no room for debate on these facts. It definitely seems that the committee, along with the SU fans on this site, feel losses to good teams are more important than actually defeating good teams in tough situations (which fits the MVFC superiority narrative, which is why i suspect SU fans parrot that point). Though WIU's loss to NDSU is confusing to everyone.

Edited by ClassB
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SFI stated on twitter today something to the effect of 'leave it the NCAA to do something so stupid that it unites both halves of North Dakota.' And that was a nice thought. And it was true.

To say that UND got hosed, but then defend the interpretation of criteria that the NCAA used in picking WIU over them, is contradictory. Period. Definitely the language on here has been:

UND fans: look at who we beat, versus who they beat

NDSU fans: but, look at who WIU played

There is no room for debate on these facts.

WIU beat 3 playoff teams, UND beat one. Where is your case?

WIU beat 3 playoff teams, UND beat one. Where is your case?

WIU beat 6 teams, while UND beat 7 teams. My point is that you can't at the same time say 'I thought UND should have made it,' while crying SOS of a 6-win team. Its not cohesive.