SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

WIU wasn't remotely competitive with either ISU, NDSU, or in their FBS game.  They beat a Jackrabbit team that is going to get absolutely stomped in Montana and a UNI team that will probably take their annual playoff dump in their own beds two weeks from now in Portland.  I'm sure at that point you'll probably still be on here thumping  your chest because WIU beat up on a non-scholarship team and then lost handily again to ISU.

WIU beat 3 playoff teams, UND beat one. Where is your case?

So the criteria is beat 3 playoff teams? So 3-8 would be good enough? Or would the 8 have to be "good losses" (whatever that is). 

The claim had long been "7 wins" to be considered. That changed somehow this year. That's the explanation I think many are seeking. 

• Upvote 2

So right now some NDSU posters over on AnygivenSaturday have a link up to this thread where their gloating over this.   Let's remember that when one of them tells you how you're not supporting the state when you're cheering for them to lose in two weeks.  Apparently these guys haven't figured out that just because their football team wins, it doesn't mean that they personally aren't classless pieces of trash. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

So right now some NDSU posters over on AnygivenSaturday have a link up to this thread where their gloating over this.   Let's remember that when one of them tells you how you're not supporting the state when you're cheering for them to lose in two weeks.  Apparently these guys haven't figured out that just because their football team wins, it doesn't mean that they personally aren't classless pieces of trash.

Let them gloat. Most of the people online don't play on the team. If we handle business in the offseason as we should, and I expect we will, we'll get a shot to wipe smiles off many faces next year.

• Upvote 1

Just saw an interview with Bubba.   He looked shocked and you could tell his blood was boiling.  I didn't even realize Eastern  Illinois didn't even have one quality win.  This whole debacle is quite puzzling.

I bet they had some quality losses, though.  We need a 'Quality Loss Tour 2016' t-shirt so we know what we are aiming for next year.  This is the stupidest !@#$ I've ever heard-

So the criteria is beat 3 playoff teams? So 3-8 would be good enough? Or would the 8 have to be "good losses" (whatever that is). 

The claim had long been "7 wins" to be considered. That changed somehow this year. That's the explanation I think many are seeking. 

"The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

From the Pre-championship manual

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-16_DIFCS_PreChamps_20150924.pdf

SHSU got in with only 6 D1 wins a couple of years ago. WIU could be considered and when you factor in their 3 wins against playoff teams their resume looks solid.

It sucks being the last one out, personally I think you have a case over EIU and UNH looks like a coin flip, but neither are solid arguments.

• Downvote 3

"The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

From the Pre-championship manual

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-16_DIFCS_PreChamps_20150924.pdf

SHSU got in with only 6 D1 wins a couple of years ago. WIU could be considered and when you factor in their 3 wins against playoff teams their resume looks solid.

It sucks being the last one out, personally I think you have a case over EIU and UNH looks like a coin flip, but neither are solid arguments.

They won the conference for the auto.

Just saw an interview with Bubba.   He looked shocked and you could tell his blood was boiling.  I didn't even realize Eastern  Illinois didn't even have one quality win.  This whole debacle is quite puzzling.

http://www.wday.com/sports/collegiate/3888597-und-frustrated-fcs-playoff-committees-decision

Yes, here is the interview.

I feel for the seniors; they deserve to be playing playoff football.

Ultimately, though, the NCAA selection committee botched this completely.

Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois, both, do not deserve to be in before UND.

Eastern Illinois has zero wins against playoff teams and Western Illinois has only 6 wins. Both are unacceptable.

As for NDSU fans trying to support their dear Missouri Valley Football Conference, you should be happy that the bottom of the bracket is all MVFC, because they're the cream of the crop, right? Just pathetic how some of these bandwagon NDSU fans come on here and act like they know everything about football and the FCS. NDSU may have some really good football teams, but some of their supporters are clueless.

• Upvote 2

I bet they had some quality losses, though.  We need a 'Quality Loss Tour 2016' t-shirt so we know what we are aiming for next year.  This is the stupidest !@#$ I've ever heard-

Here will be our plan for next year, we will just rest all of our starters against our toughest 3 opponents next year so we can get in a number of good quality losses, and keep our starters fresh so we can beat everybody else.  Might also prevent our players from getting their leg broken by a cheap shot.

• Upvote 2

After it's all said and done, WIU had more "good" losses than we had losses. It stinks, but we never had a chance against a team with that many losses.

The good loss bad loss thing is just idiotic IMO. Its a loss period. I just cant believe this criteria.

So does the committee generally meet on Saturday evenings?  If so that sucks that we had a late game.  They apparently said well even if UND wins Saturday night, we are still taking EIU at 7-4 over them.  It would have been nice for them to see us go up on Poly 35-0 (a team that beat Montana) on the road before penciling in EIU over us. 

The fact that EIU got in over us with the same record, and from what it sounds no quality wins......is ridiculous!  And you would think if things are close you would factor how teams are looking, or the "eye" test at the end of the year.  40 plus points in our last three games, with a score of 45-0 at one point against UNC, (a team that just ONE week earlier beat the #6 seed), and 35-0 at Poly.   If we barely would have beaten UNC and Poly I could have accepted this more easily, but when I look at the way we were playing at the end of the year (which should count for something)......this totally blows!!!

• Upvote 1

every fan base has a few of those

So does the committee generally meet on Saturday evenings?  If so that sucks that we had a late game.  They apparently said well even if UND wins Saturday night, we are still taking EIU at 7-4 over them.  It would have been nice for them to see us go up on Poly 35-0 (a team that beat Montana) on the road before penciling in EIU over us. 

The fact that EIU got in over us with the same record, and from what it sounds no quality wins......is ridiculous!  And you would think if things are close you would factor how teams are looking, or the "eye" test at the end of the year.  40 plus points in our last three games, with a score of 45-0 at one point against UNC, (a team that just ONE week earlier beat the #6 seed), and 35-0 at Poly.   If we barely would have beaten UNC and Poly I could have accepted this more easily, but when I look at the way we were playing at the end of the year (which should count for something)......this totally blows!!!

Finishing the season strong is supposed to count for something but it seems to come down to the mood and attitude of those on the committee

Here will be our plan for next year, we will just rest all of our starters against our toughest 3 opponents next year so we can get in a number of good quality losses, and keep our starters fresh so we can beat everybody else.  Might also prevent our players from getting their leg broken by a cheap shot.

Yeah, but next year the playoff committee will use different standards to select the teams that make it.  Next year they might look at margin of victory.

I'm a big FCS football fan, because there is a lot of great football played at this level across the nation.  When the committee changes the standards they use to select playoff teams, and regionalize the games to save a few bucks, it deters fans from following FCS football. 

A couple things need to happen IMHO:

1.)  be more transparent with what teams need to do to be eligible.

2.)  meet for several weeks leading up to the selection (similar to FBS).

3.) **MOST IMPORTANT**  seed all 24 teams (so they can't match up #9SDSU with #3NDSU in second round, which has happened 3 of last 4 years).

• Upvote 4

I don't know. You may have a case over EIU, but everybody seems to be talking about a 6 win WIU team getting in as a travesty when it is not. If you aren't going to take strength of schedule and stength of conference into consideration, then you take a 9 win MEAC team or a 9 win Patriot Team over any 7 or 8 win team from another conference.

This argument is why a 6th place in the Big Ten and 14-12 Penn St makes the Big Dance in MBB and 22-4 2nd place in the WCC St. Mary's doesn't. It's bad for MBB and and it's even worse now that the precedent has been set for FCS FB.