SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

I don't think we are friends, are we?  Doesn't really matter what you are saying.  The fact is you saw no reason to post here while UND was winning late in their schedule.  You show up again when things go bad for us.

don't be so salty, I've had a busy fall. Had nothing to do with wins or losses. In my mind UND should have gotten in, but the people who get paid to make these decisions didn't and theirs is the only opinion that matters. They thought WIU's win over  SDSU(as well as the rest of their resume)was more impressive than what UND showed on the field. So argue all you want about your PSU win being more impressive than theirs over SDSU but the people who matter in this scenario agree with me

• Downvote 5

Committee made it fairly clear the quality of losses was more important than the quality of wins. WIU had better losses than us, and more of them, so obviously the committee couldn't turn them down. 

exactly !   Committee: " und, we like the fbs win and the win at port st but look at the great losses e illinois had!!!!  They don't have a nice win but losses are fantastic!??????  

• Upvote 1

I haven't studied this whole issue or read all of the posts, but agree that UND got hosed. It is the how that has me thinking. I read that UND submitted a nice bid to host. I don't know how all of this works, but is it possinle that UND outbid some other schools upsetting the apple cart?  And rather than have a fight about who hosts, they decided it best to keep UND on the outside and not have the hosting issue?  Just kicking it out there. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't studied this whole issue or read all of the posts, but agree that UND got hosed. It is the how that has me thinking. I read that UND submitted a nice bid to host. I don't know how all of this works, but is it possinle that UND outbid some other schools upsetting the apple cart?  And rather than have a fight about who hosts, they decided it best to keep UND on the outside and not have the hosting issue?  Just kicking it out there. 

In short, no. The host bidding doesn't, or shouldn't, affect who is selected to make the 24 team field. 

SDSU isn't seeded.

PSU is seeded #6.

PSU beat Washington State - a good PAC-12 squad - and North Texas

SDSU barely beat a winless Kansas team 

UND beat PSU on the road.

WIU beat SDSU at home. 

UND's win against Portland State is absolutely better than Western Illinois' win against South Dakota State.

UND deserves to be in Western Illinois' spot. UND has the better resume, yet the selection committee straight up botched it. 

I actually have a bigger problem with UNH and E. Illinois......although UND should have been in instead of all 3.

• Upvote 1

I thought we'd be in for sure with a win. The decisions made today by the committee go completely against every selection they've made in previous years.

A complete robbery to keep a UND team out of this years playoffs. We were one of the hottest teams in the country and imo could've did some damage....now we'll never know. We should be loaded next year so I hope the returning guys use this as motivation and fhawking roll everyone next year. Shame that guys like Ratelle, Anderson, Adler, etc had to go out like that.

• Upvote 2

don't be so salty, I've had a busy fall. Had nothing to do with wins or losses. In my mind UND should have gotten in, but the people who get paid to make these decisions didn't and theirs is the only opinion that matters. They thought WIU's win over  SDSU(as well as the rest of their resume)was more impressive than what UND showed on the field. So argue all you want about your PSU win being more impressive than theirs over SDSU but the people who matter in this scenario agree with me

Not arguing who's individual win was more impressive.  What I am saying is that only having 6 DI wins is supposed to be a deal breaker.  Period.

Per Daniel "Pinto" Gunderson of KFAN 740 in Fargo - 

They (WIU) won six games all year. You know how many six win teams have made the playoffs with an at-large bid since they expanded the field from 16 to 20 teams? Never.

Here is a link to his blog post.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/ndsu-bison/983/you-have-to-do-better/ 

Dude, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Don't come on here acting all prophetic. A 6 win yeam should not be in the playoffs. Period.  We left it to chance by not winning 8 or 9. But 6 wins??? GTFOH

• Upvote 4

Dude, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Don't come on here acting all prophetic. A 6 win yeam should not be in the playoffs. Period.  We left it to chance by not winning 8 or 9. But 6 wins??? GTFOH

For the last time, read the original post I responded to. You guys are ridiculous.

The original poster stated you guys have a case for being in over WIU because your win over PSU trumped WIU's win over SDSU, I disagreed and provided reasons.

I believe UND got screwed, I have made that clear from the outset. What I don't agree with is PSU is a better win than SDSU. That's it.

disagree, I think SDSU is the better team. I think PSU is a good team, but losses to UND and more importantly northern Colorado two non playoff teams show that they won't make a long run in the playoffs in my mind. I don't think SDSU would lose to either of those teams. I believe a team is only as good as its losses. Yes that includes NDSU.

ALL of SDSU's losses are to playoff teams.

WIU shouldn't be a playoff team!  Not a bad team but squeeking out a win at Northern Iowa means little as they seem to choke a few games every year.  I view Northern Iowa as a highly talented but inconsistent team and it seems to be a yearly deal.  WIU has two quality wins and beating a crap team that shouldn't be in the playoffs.  How is that better than the wins at Portland State and Wyoming with a better overall record?

• Upvote 1

WIU shouldn't be a playoff team!  Not a bad team but squeeking out a win at Northern Iowa means little as they seem to choke a few games every year.  I view Northern Iowa as a highly talented but inconsistent team and it seems to be a yearly deal.  WIU has two quality wins and beating a crap team that shouldn't be in the playoffs.  How is that better than the wins at Portland State and Wyoming with a better overall record?

They have so many good losses though, that's what matters.... this year.