SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

We needed to score off their turnovers like they did to us.

And I disagree on Keaton's 2 turnovers.  It was obvious on both plays that a blitz was coming.  He had time (not much) to get a ball thrown and didn't.  The first TO was worse because he waited fall longer to throw the ball.

agree both TOs were completely on studsrud

What has the football team done to do aanything to excite fans lately though. Get embarrassed by the in state rival, then actually win a big game against Portland state to then go out and lay 3 eggs. The team has never been able to sustain excitement and students do have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than watch a team that dissapoints at the first hint of improvement. 

It takes "excite "to get people out????  These young men  commited to und to play football and give their everything to the game!!  I guess people like you can be more excited staying at home watching your taped 'voice' episode because it's more exciting??  

Fill the alerus because it's for und, it's a football game, and more importantly  its showing respect to bubba and the athletes!  They deserve it!

• Upvote 3

"Puke-Up" should take some solace in the fact that our radio color analyst "Milk Toast" Mike Berg spent half the game talking about how great he is. Is anyone else sick of Berg doing that? He'll find a player on the other side he likes and then run off at the mouth about him and his exploits the entire game. He did that with Zenner from SDSU in 2013. Sometimes Berg forgets that he is on the UND Football Radio Network, not the other team's radio network.

Coach Berg can talk about whatever he wants whenever he wants. He's earned that and deserves respect.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't wait for nov 13! We have a good future UND football fans whether we make the playoffs or not . I also think studs has proved to us that he is the  go to QB . He made the passes when it counted. A 7-4 season with no playoff birth would only leave this team wanting more and next year they will be even better.

• Upvote 1

I can't wait for nov 13! We have a good future UND football fans whether we make the playoffs or not . I also think studs has proved to us that he is the  go to QB . He made the passes when it counted. A 7-4 season with no playoff birth would only leave this team wanting more and next year they will be even better.

how about 7-4 with playoffs. let's get healthy and go 2-0 down the stretch. The more I look at it the more I think we are sitting good if we win out. S Utah might lose out, they have a weak resume for their record. We will have the 3rd or 4th best resume in the conference if we win out. PSU is a great win and we have an FBS win, plus no D2 wins. PSU smoked a 5-2 Wash St who is giving #8 Stanford all they can handle right now.

Committee will look at how we played without starting QB vs. with him.

Actually have a tough time seeing how we are not in if we win out, but we have to take care of business. UNC up first, then Poly. Raise your hand if you'd like the 4th quarters of ISU and Weber back.

• Upvote 1

how about 7-4 with playoffs. let's get healthy and go 2-0 down the stretch. The more I look at it the more I think we are sitting good if we win out. S Utah might lose out, they have a weak resume for their record. We will have the 3rd or 4th best resume in the conference if we win out. PSU is a great win and we have an FBS win, plus no D2 wins. PSU smoked a 5-2 Wash St who is giving #8 Stanford all they can handle right now.

Committee will look at how we played without starting QB vs. with him.

Actually have a tough time seeing how we are not in if we win out, but we have to take care of business. UNC up first, then Poly. Raise your hand if you'd like the 4th quarters of ISU and Weber back.

Good point. Studsrud is the key.  If he plays well and we finish with 2 wins, we have a strong argument that our only loss with Studsrud playing the full game was when we went into an offensive coma against SU.

I really don't believe 100% in our argument, but we have to make it.

Edited by gundy1124
content added

at what point do the douchebags at the alerus put something/anything down on the exposed concrete to protect these young men?  santiago is flying to the pylon and then goes skidding around on the concrete on his td run....are they gonna wait til someone breaks their neck especially with the speed we have with santiago, smith, and georges running around out there...

I noticed that as well. Very unsafe for the players and I would hate to see an injury because the alerus isn't fully covered with turf. I am not happy about this situation.

at what point do the douchebags at the alerus put something/anything down on the exposed concrete to protect these young men?  santiago is flying to the pylon and then goes skidding around on the concrete on his td run....are they gonna wait til someone breaks their neck especially with the speed we have with santiago, smith, and georges running around out there...

The Alerus Center needs to step up in several areas. Player safety with some custom turf sections over the concrete would be one area. Another area is [again] the pregame team entrance. Lights have to be off and they have to build it up better. It's embarrassing right now how poor the Alerus Center treats UND and the entire gameday situation. If they cared just a little bit, they would put effort into these things and get it fixed. 

• Upvote 3

When Sweeney speaks at a rate of 11 words per minute, there's a lot of airtime for Coach to fill.  He brings a lot of info about the opponents to the discussion which is great. Listening to the away games ive heard, you can tell he wants our players to be successful in the worst possible way.  But also tries to be objective and isn't afraid to point out mistakes and what needs to be corrected.  He does a great job IMO.

opposing offenses pick on one player in our secondary and he wasn't any of the numbers you mentioned. 

Agreed. The corners are fine talent-wise, and are pretty much all very young so I'm not really worried because in time, they should be solid. I still would have liked to have seen Seibel switched back to defense once Arnell went down. He's a natural safety who switched to receiver last year out of absolute necessity. But now, we don't pass much anyway, and the depth at receiver is better than the depth at safety. 

Edited by UND92,96

I agree!  Trying to rationalize with fs4l is a no win situation.

Pot-Kettle-Black anyone?

I just don't drink the Kool-Aid on issues. I don't care how much Berg knows about the game; I have never liked him as the color guy. Sweeney is getting better as time goes on and I think he'll work out. At least he is one of us (Michaels never wanted this job and I think everyone knows that).

I suppose things look different from the field than the couch. 

wasn't on the couch.  Made the 5 hour drive to be at the game.  We don't have a couch in our tailgating area and there aren't any in the Alerus as far as I know. 

Hope you were there too.  It was a lot of fun.

Maybe MSU hadn't run any of those trick plays this year but if they had we should have been at least a little prepared.  The throw back to the QB was a bad toss or they would have scored there too.

Edited by Siouxperman8
  • Upvote 1

I though I read that we had quite a few recruits at the game yesterday. Definitely an entertaining game, and a great win to have for recruits. Too bad there weren't more fans there, but still. It'll be interesting to see how our next recruiting class shapes up. I really like that TE commit we have out of Nebraska, hopefully he sticks with UND since he is still making some FBS visits.

Anyone else notice that once we starting pressuring the QB in the 4th quarter, the defense had better luck getting off the field? That was not a coincidence.

The defense won't get it down sitting back in a zone coverage, that has been proven so far this year. Pressure is and should be the name of the game from here out. I'll take a completed pass so long as we're putting a fear into the qb or putting him on his back with each throw. 

• Upvote 2

The defense won't get it down sitting back in a zone coverage, that has been proven so far this year. Pressure is and should be the name of the game from here out. I'll take a completed pass so long as we're putting a fear into the qb or putting him on his back with each throw. 

And those things tend to throw a QB off their game. They'll start rushing throws when they don't have to because they start hearing footsteps even if they aren't really there. And that will lead to more INTs and fumbles, which we saw in the 4th quarter on Saturday.

A player in the NFL got injured on some slick concrete just beyond the end zone today. Same deal.

Craig Haley has us in the playoffs playing in Brookings in the first round with the winner going to ill St and Haley knows his stuff. Who's up for a road trip to Brookings? 

great to be in the conversation for playoffs. Need to take care of business. Fun playing meaningful football in November.

• Upvote 2