SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

The only tthing that matters is whether we can run the ball and whether the defense makes timely stops. If the defense doesn't make those stops we lose. The defense isn't good enough to win games but we need them to make stops late in  the game

we have to throw it when the defense dares us to.  Studsrud did that today.  Battles couldn't in weeks prior. 

You are welcome.  

If one was actually at the game and watched and thinks differently.......great. 

Even someone who knows way more FB than me and has a close connection to the program that sits next to me pretty much thinks the same thing.....our corner play is pathetic.  Sugar coat it all you want.

BTW........how old are the top 2 RBs? 

opposing offenses pick on one player in our secondary and he wasn't any of the numbers you mentioned. 

the offense runs so much better with Studsrud.  I'd argue based on results this season it has everything to do with Studsrud. 

II agree studs is a gamer.  Had he not gotten hurt, I belueve we eiukd have one loss.  Definitely ISU and Weber.  Montana maybe.  Maybe because we would have score instead if a FG.  And the 2 TD's Montana scored before the half. Both about 30 sec drives under 2 and a half minutes.   Studs would have killed the click and kept 24 points off the board for Montana.  I maybe wrong but that is how I saw it from the end zone in Missoula.

the offense runs so much better with Studsrud.  I'd argue based on results this season it has everything to do with Studsrud. 

yep.  I question why even start the game w/ Bartels out there for 1 possession? I get maybe trying to throw a wrinkle at MSU, but they had likely prepared for both Bartels & Studsrud. The offense runs so much smoother w/ Studs in, why waste the possession? If they know Studs can go, then start him...

Sounded like Bubba wanted to have one QB run play (to set up the running game and make MSU think that a QB run was in the playbook) on the first possession, and they didn't plan to run Keaton. Keaton was expected to be out for  6 weeks and isn't 100% after three

Edited by sprig
  • Upvote 1

Very fun game. Wow do we have a 1-2 punch in Santiago and Oliveira, and they complement each other well.

Great week to get healed up and get ready for the 2 biggest games UND has had in awhile. I think if we win out we are in assuming the Griz lose tonight and once more in their final three. 

I think the Sky gets 4 in with EW S Utah and Port St. being the front runners unless the wheels fall off. If we win out our biggest threat is the griz but I think they lose at least one more if you look at their schedule which would mean they only get to 6 wins. NAU and Mont St are the others and we have a better resume than NAU and the head to head with MSU.

First let's win 2 more but of all the teams left that can get to 7 wins we will have a the best resume with a FBS win and a great win over PSU. Plus I think the committee would consider our losses without Studsrud and with Studsrud. Need to win 2 and for Montana to lose one. PSU winning out and winning the conference would also be a nice resume builder.

lets win 2 and get in the playoffs!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Sounded like Bubba wanted to have one QB run play (to set up the running game and make MSU think that a QB run was in the playbook) on the first possession, and they didn't plan to run Keaton.

Interesting in hindsight because the first two plays of the game were runs by Bartles.

Here's what I know:

The "freshman running backs and line" haven't changed all season.

Studs is 5-1 when finishing a game.

The Backup QB is 0-3.

Sometimes there's things going on that aren't measurable. The intangibles that aren't easily described. Studs seems to have that.

Correct!  My thoughts on Keaton have always been, he's very athletic but lacks the skills to be a good passing qb.   While that might be true, you cannot defy the fact that he just simply wins!  Losing the last 3 weeks in the manner to which we did, had Keaton been playing , pretty certain the outcome would of been different.  He is just a winner and obviously a huddle warrior.  I've played football both in high school and at the collegiate level  and when you have a confident motivator leading the team, everyone responds.   Respect is earned and truly believe he has earned it.  

• Upvote 1

Sounded like Bubba wanted to have one QB run play (to set up the running game and make MSU think that a QB run was in the playbook) on the first possession, and they didn't plan to run Keaton. Keaton was expected to be out for  6 weeks and isn't 100% after three

yeah, I figured Studsrud wasn't 100% being there was no designed QB runs when he was in.  The play where he broke pocket & scrambled was right in front of me & he looked a little gimpy still.  

Also, MSU should probably look at firing all of their coaches etc., they turned it over....couldn't stop us on offense, had two costly penalties towards the end of the game.  Man they better start questioning their whole program and if they will ever have long term success.   (this is sarcasm by the way, as if we would have lost that one that's what a number of people here would be saying about our coach and team)

Good post.

I would think the team is very motivated right now.  They have a week to heal up and if they win the next 2 games there is a decent chance they could make the playoffs.    They have beaten 2 ranked teams one which was Portland State who his having a great  year.    We also have an FBS win.    I think 7 wins will get us  in. 

• Upvote 1

Clive with 2 receptions, both for TDs.  He needs about 10-12 targets a game these last 2 games.  MSU couldn't run with him.

I can't believe we don't have more than 50 students that want to watch a free football game.  I will say it, our students are a joke. Take 15,000 students, 300 are at the game or participating in the game. (Players, trainers, cheer team, band). We are at 2%, wow!!

Clive with 2 receptions, both for TDs.  He needs about 10-12 targets a game these last 2 games.  MSU couldn't run with him.

I can't believe we don't have more than 50 students that want to watch a free football game.  I will say it, our students are a joke. Take 15,000 students, 300 are at the game or participating in the game. (Players, trainers, cheer team, band). We are at 2%, wow!!

the ad/rea make hockey an event...seems like the others sports are an annoyance to a lot of them.  but yeah what a joke