SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

Whoa, easy there. Even good kickers miss PAT's just like good refs miss calls. Statistically you're way off by saying PAT is easier than a free throw but I'm sure you already know that. 

Really? I can't think of too many kickers who are only 70% on extra points. UND men's basketball wishes it was 70% from the free throw line. 

• Upvote 2

Really? I can't think of too many kickers who are only 70% on extra points. UND men's basketball wishes it was 70% from the free throw line. 

So you're saying statistically they are easier than free throws. 

And that's equivalent to someone just doing free throws on the team.

That face mask that wasn't called against Montana, I think that had to be the most obvious missed call I've ever seen in my lifetime of watching football.  A guy is running full speed (WITH THE BALL) and he gets yanked around 180 degrees......and not a single official saw that???  How does that happen???

That was maybe the worst facemasks I've ever seen. The replays made it look even worse.

Also, MSU should probably look at firing all of their coaches etc., they turned it over....couldn't stop us on offense, had two costly penalties towards the end of the game.  Man they better start questioning their whole program and if they will ever have long term success.   (this is sarcasm by the way, as if we would have lost that one that's what a number of people here would be saying about our coach and team)

So... have you been over to the Bobkitty board lately 94?!? 

So... have you been over to the Bobkitty board lately 94?!? 

No I haven't, I don't really go on other teams boards.  Given their expectations this season I imagine their fans are going pretty crazy right now.  And honestly their defense is pretty darn bad, they do have some reason to be concerned and complain about things bigtime.    My point is look at both UM and MSU, both long time top tier FCS programs and we have the same record as they do, but yet some people were already questioning Bubba 1.5 half years into things.  Another guy saying he thinks UND will only have 53 wins over the next 10 years.  Which I will take him up on that bet in a heartbeat.   I think we will consistently be a top 15 program contending for conference titles and making Championship runs.  We can have hockey, and we can still have a top FCS program and we are already headed in that direction. 

Honestly it seems fairly strange to me how poor a number of the Big Sky defenses are at times. I realize that they are often going up against high powered offenses, but I think us having a tough defense will be a separator for us in the league (I realize that we've certainly been porous at times this year though -but that will get better as we fill some needs and add depth)

• Upvote 3

So you're saying statistically they are easier than free throws. 

And that's equivalent to someone just doing free throws on the team.

Exactly, take the best free throw shooter on each team and it's atleast even. I should of clarified myself. Also, whats your guys field goal percentage (basketball or football). My main point here is lay off the guy. If he actually made the PAT and the ref f"d the call up it's on the ref to make the call. Tight game it's not easy to nail those ones.

Exactly, take the best free throw shooter on each team and it's atleast even. I should of clarified myself. Also, whats your guys field goal percentage (basketball or football). My main point here is lay off the guy. If he actually made the PAT and the ref f"d the call up it's on the ref to make the call. Tight game it's not easy to nail those ones.

If Taubenheim says he made the kick I believe him.  He would know.  He has kicked thousands of footballs in practice and in games and it is easy to know if you made it or not after watching so many kicks. 

• Upvote 1

If Taubenheim says he made the kick I believe him.  He would know.  He has kicked thousands of footballs in practice and in games and it is easy to know if you made it or not after watching so many kicks. 

I think field goal calls should use the honor system for in or missed. 

Yep by Prokup's not mentioning defense only offense, He just kind of threw them under the bus.  Amazingly the defense gave him 2 chances late to win but Prokup fumbled and had a pass batted down.  I can't imagine Ratelle or Studs throwing any team mates under the bus.

• Upvote 2

Whoa, easy there. Even good kickers miss PAT's just like good refs miss calls. Statistically you're way off by saying PAT is easier than a free throw but I'm sure you already know that. 

NFL PATs have become much tougher since they moved them back. But they still are pretty close to automatic at the college level.

Yep by Prokup's not mentioning defense only offense, He just kind of threw them under the bus.  Amazingly the defense gave him 2 chances late to win but Prokup fumbled and had a pass batted down.  I can't imagine Ratelle or Studs throwing any team mates under the bus.

I totally agree - my take from his message was that he was lauding the offense and dissing the defense - which makes sense when you are averaging 40+ points a game and still lose. 

--at the same time, I could understand how frustrations boiled over. Not commending him on only managing to pile extra compliments on his offense while ignoring the defense intentionally, but it does take some degree of restraint not to voice his concerns outright.

Is there any checks & balances on the Big Sky officiating crews? Are they graded out or evaluated each game? Seems like there are many obvious missed or terrible calls across the conference each week...

I see the entire Miami-Duke officiating crew was suspended for 2 games after that debacle.

Is there any checks & balances on the Big Sky officiating crews? Are they graded out or evaluated each game? Seems like there are many obvious missed or terrible calls across the conference each week...

I see the entire Miami-Duke officiating crew was suspended for 2 games after that debacle.

There needs to be an evaluation process in some way, shape, or form. I'm not sure what's in place - if anything at all - but I absolutely agree with this. The officiating in the Big Sky Conference is very poor and there needs to be a feedback process in order to improve it.