SiouxSports.com Forum

MSU Game Day Thread

Sioux94

Craig Haley has us in the playoffs playing in Brookings in the first round with the winner going to ill St and Haley knows his stuff. Who's up for a road trip to Brookings? 

great to be in the conversation for playoffs. Need to take care of business. Fun playing meaningful football in November.

Oh if that was the case, I'd make the short 1 hour drive (I'll be on vacation for Turkey day)

Edit: Actually if it were the case, SDSU would host at Sioux Falls sounds like

Edited by SWSiouxMN

I absolutely love this Vine clip from the Bozeman Chronicle Bobcat beat writer as much for the booming hit Will Ratelle delivers to the streaking Bobcat receiver as I do for Reyes' INT!  Fear "Area 51!" 

Check it out.

https://vine.co/v/e3iuexm6TvX

After 30 minutes that clip gets to be just the same thing over and over.

I absolutely love this Vine clip from the Bozeman Chronicle Bobcat beat writer as much for the booming hit Will Ratelle delivers to the streaking Bobcat receiver as I do for Reyes' INT!  Fear "Area 51!" 

Check it out.

https://vine.co/v/e3iuexm6TvX

That # 3 for MSU is very happy Ratelle is a senior so he will not have feel that hit ever again.  ouch.

#19 for UND isn't even a NAIA caliber player. #33 and #27 marginally better.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt now that it's been a couple days.  Did you really mean this and do you believe it?

Harris is a true sophomore who has a huge upside being 6'3" and able to run.  He needs game experience, which he is getting, and needs to get tougher.  He is too soft right now but will figure out what it takes in the Big Sky.  The kid is going to be good, I mean real good.  But it takes time for some.  Corners don't get the luxury of learning on the job vs. run-first teams in the Big Sky.  It's baptism by fire hose damn near every week.

• Upvote 1

You are welcome.  

If one was actually at the game and watched and thinks differently.......great. 

Even someone who knows way more FB than me and has a close connection to the program that sits next to me pretty much thinks the same thing.....our corner play is pathetic.  Sugar coat it all you want.

BTW........how old are the top 2 RBs? 

Comparing the difficulties/issues with playing RB vs. CB in college, as a true freshman, shows how much you know about football.  Seriously.  

The cornerback play is not very good but was much better vs. Montana State.  But look at their ages and then you will know why.  I'm sure you were immediately great at your first job.  :silly:

Comparing the difficulties/issues with playing RB vs. CB in college, as a true freshman, shows how much you know about football.  Seriously.  

The cornerback play is not very good but was much better vs. Montana State.  But look at their ages and then you will know why.  I'm sure you were immediately great at your first job.  :silly:

I will pile on this point a little.  Either a running back can play, has the instincts and toughness, or he doesn't.  You find this out quickly with a few carries.  Santiago and Oliveira have it, Ja'wan Arrington didn't.  It took me about 5 carries a piece to see this.  Running back is literally the simplest position to come in and play, but at the same time a good RB is a freakishly good athlete.

In the Montana game our corners were in position, they just lacked some ball skills and awareness.  If you saw Irving-Sills's interception against Montana St. he was in good position with his head turned around, found the ball for the pick.  This needs to become 2nd nature for our defensive backs.

While the cornerback position is another simple position in theory, cover the outside guy, these guys have to be athletic enough to cover the fastest opponents and tough enough to take down the biggest backs, and crazy enough to submerge a 310 pulling offensive lineman.

• Upvote 4

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt now that it's been a couple days.  Did you really mean this and do you believe it?

Harris is a true sophomore who has a huge upside being 6'3" and able to run.  He needs game experience, which he is getting, and needs to get tougher.  He is too soft right now but will figure out what it takes in the Big Sky.  The kid is going to be good, I mean real good.  But it takes time for some.  Corners don't get the luxury of learning on the job vs. run-first teams in the Big Sky.  It's baptism by fire hose damn near every week.

Yeah, I've already commented on his remarks!  To say  #27 jahmere should be recruited by the likes of mayville are laughable.  He was heavily    recruited on the east coast and commited to miss st over auburn.  #19 Deion you already stated the facts and #33 Tyus is a true fresh.  They are learning in a very pass happy conference, that will only strengthen them.  Add to this, cole is banged up, arnell is gone and the injuries to Drew and taj have forced und into to a much different look defensively, namely  from the pressure stand point!  They need the fundamental part of the game to be stamped in their heads, as much of the time they are in great position, but don't follow through.  The talent is there 

"Puke-Up" should take some solace in the fact that our radio color analyst "Milk Toast" Mike Berg spent half the game talking about how great he is. Is anyone else sick of Berg doing that? He'll find a player on the other side he likes and then run off at the mouth about him and his exploits the entire game. He did that with Zenner from SDSU in 2013. Sometimes Berg forgets that he is on the UND Football Radio Network, not the other team's radio network.

You make it sound like he's picking random players and heaping undeserved praise on them.  Prukop was pre-season All-Big Sky, was leading the FCS in offensive yards/game and is a Payton Award candidate. Zenner was one of the best players in the country and frankly probably one of the most talented opposing players to play against UND in the Alerus. If you have that big of an issue with Berg recognizing incredibly talented opponents, I think its you that has the issue (not to mention your shot at Prukop is fairly unnecessary).

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you here on our secondary play although Reyes is the real deal.  You throw out the PSU game and UND is giving up around 290 yards/game thru the air. 

To quote my buddy who is a season ticket holder in Missoula and was at the Griz/UND game........"that is the worst secondary I have seen in this stadium in years."  And he wasn't talking about Montana's.

You make it sound like he's picking random players and heaping undeserved praise on them.  Prukop was pre-season All-Big Sky, was leading the FCS in offensive yards/game and is a Payton Award candidate. Zenner was one of the best players in the country and frankly probably one of the most talented opposing players to play against UND in the Alerus. If you have that big of an issue with Berg recognizing incredibly talented opponents, I think its you that has the issue (not to mention your shot at Prukop is fairly unnecessary).

Whatever. It is not inappropriate for a team's color analyst to be a little bit biased (not like NDSU's broadcast team, but a little biased). Recognizing talented opposing players is one thing; cheerleading them from the other broadcast booth is a little much. I don't think Tony Stein ever did that during his many years in that job; he was 100% pure Kelly Green and White...period. I just am not a big fan of Berg in the broadcast booth; I have nothing against him personally. I think Central FB misses him big-time and wouldn't have two wins over three years if he was still there.