SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis Game Day Thread

Sioux94

I was hoping to watch the game...  I was on the road today.  Does the new Big Sky site show archived games?  Some of you think the new site is better but the video quality of the games that I have watch is sub par.  Plus, on the old site I could watch archived games and multiple games at the same time.  I have not figured out how to do that on this new site.  Any help from other would be appreciated.

I agree. We did have 240 yards rushing and caused 2 turnovers. So something was turning for the offense and defense. We are 3-1 and 1-0 in the BSC, let's rejoice in this win and get ready for the Vikings.

well the thing is all a defense has to do to beat us is stop the run. Stop our run like ndsu did and we lose the game with under 100yds total offense. We need to get things going or make a QB change.

• Upvote 1

I was hoping to watch the game...  I was on the road today.  Does the new Big Sky site show archived games?  Some of you think the new site is better but the video quality of the games that I have watch is sub par.  Plus, on the old site I could watch archived games and multiple games at the same time.  I have not figured out how to do that on this new site.  Any help from other would be appreciated.

I went to my TV listings, and Midco will replay the game on 10/8 at 9am.  I couldn't find an earlier time, which is odd.  That's a long time to wait for a replay.

Any kind of vertical threat in a passing game makes running the ball easier. Safeties aren't allowed to crowd the box and linebackers have to at least pay lip service to zone/man coverage instead of just going gung-ho after the run. UND ran the ball very well today despite the almost total lack of a passing game. However, we've seen how that can be completely shut down by a better team (NDSU) or better effort (Drake). A one-dimensional offense is easier to defend. For the offense to really grow, it needs a passing game. 

• Upvote 2

Three Sioux should receive consideration for:

Big Sky Defensive Player of the Week:  Ratelle with 15 tackles, including 12 solo, 1 QB sack, and 3 TFL

Big Sky Offensive Player of the Week:  Santiago with 152 yds. rushing and 2 TD's

Big Sky Special Teams Player of the Week:  Meindel with a 50.2 punting ave. 

Edited by MoSiouxFan
  • Upvote 2

well the thing is all a defense has to do to beat us is stop the run. Stop our run like ndsu did and we lose the game with under 100yds total offense. We need to get things going or make a QB change.

58 yards passing is not good in a game like this - I believe that a good part of our running difficulty is that teams have absolutely no respect for our passing game.  Studsrud is not ready to make the reads and deliver the ball on time.  There is a fine line between giving someone a chance to prove himself and being stubborn about a decision and I think our coaches have stepped over it.  The other two guys must figure that they will never get a chance to win the job back.  

• Upvote 1

58 yards passing is not good in a game like this - I believe that a good part of our running difficulty is that teams have absolutely no respect for our passing game.  Studsrud is not ready to make the reads and deliver the ball on time.  There is a fine line between giving someone a chance to prove himself and being stubborn about a decision and I think our coaches have stepped over it.  The other two guys must figure that they will never get a chance to win the job back.  

I think everyone's rightfully a little concerned with the passing game.  But I recall last year, before Studsrud got in there, we had more turnovers than Hometown Bakery..  He's not making costly mistakes and is a threat to run.  

We haven't lost a game yet due to quarterback play; hard to bench a QB while winning every game except the one against the defending champion.

I would think it would be pretty tough to pull a starting QB that has won 5 of his last 6 starts.........

he is 81/178  (46%) , with 7 TD and 7 INT.  He also has four fumbles in his last three games and threw an INT to a Bison who dropped it.  He is slow to get rid of the ball. Other than the Bison and Northern Arizona, he hasn't played the stiffest competition.  You don't quit on kids when they get hurt.  Mollberg and Bartles were both playing better when they got hurt.  The QB doesn't win these games nor lose them by themselves. 

• Downvote 2

he is 81/178  (46%) , with 7 TD and 7 INT.  He also has four fumbles in his last three games and threw an INT to a Bison who dropped it.  He is slow to get rid of the ball. Other than the Bison and Northern Arizona, he hasn't played the stiffest competition.  You don't quit on kids when they get hurt.  Mollberg and Bartles were both playing better when they got hurt.  The QB doesn't win these games nor lose them by themselves. 

I'm not implying that Studsrud doesn't have plenty of room to improve.  Just pointing out that the team has been fairly successful with him under center.  Statistics are fun but the most important statistic to me is that UND is 5-3 overall since he was thrown into the fire, and 3-1 so far on the season.  No need to fix what isn't broken IMO. 

Injuries are unfortunate, but they are part of the game.  QB controversies are also unfortunate, but with a 3-1 record so far, I don't think we have one.  One of the MANY problems this program has had is that is has been "unsettled" at the QB position since Danny Freund graduated.  IMO this program still has many areas of concern, but the quarterback play is far from the top of the list.

Edited by bincitysioux

UC Davis

I believe Studsrud also put one on the turf this game too. But was recovered by UND.

Just my "I'm pretty good at Madden" opinion on the 3 QBs as I have seen in the past couple of years. None of the 3 make you go "wow". All 3 have looked pretty good, ok and not so good at times. If....and I'm saying if all 3 are healthy and one can find a groove to play somewhat to his potential and get this offense looking like a decent FCS offense (minus the barrier of restricted mind numbing play calling) it is Joe. Really good athlete for the QB position and arm strength to make any throw. Of the 3 he has been the most inconsistent in his play and tends to make more poor decisions with the ball than the other 2. 

Studs is 5-1 in his last 6 and 5-3 since taking over from last season but he has shown to be the least skilled and have the least FCS qualities compared to the other 2 and of FCS QBs I have watched from other teams. A QB should be able to throw the ball. That is not his strength.

Bartles is the safest pick of the 3. Good game manager, decent thrower of the ball, good enough athlete to keep plays alive, makes good decisions a majority of the time.

Do you make a QB change at this point...no way but from what I have seen Joe has the most ability to be an above average FCS QB but has also been the most up and down with his play. Bartles is the one that probably has all the parts to be decent enough consistently to make most of the plays and make this offense respectful enough to maybe make them a borderline playoff team. I think with Studs what you see is what you'll get from here on out. 

This should clear things up for most of you on the QB position and questions that have been raised here.

Carry on.............

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Studsrud's starting spot is very safe, at least as of now.

Rudolph's offense uses plenty of QB runs and Bartles and Mollberg do not have that ability. Everybody mentions Mollberg without knowing how is mobility his after last season's Achilles injury, and Bartles has no mobility at all. Studsrud is a 4.60 40 QB who will get better at the passing game as the year goes on. Also will help when Georges gets back. 

Yesterday's game didn't need much of a passing game considering how UND was running the ball, so let's keep things in perspective. Biggest concern out of yesterday's game is UND's pass defense and tackling ability in open space.

Yes, the passing game needs to improve, but Studsrud is still young and will get better. Not to mention UND's receiving corps doesn't have any studs in it either. Mollberg and Bartles don't have the mobility for how Rudolph wants to play offense. 

• Upvote 1

Come on you guys, seriously.

UND has played 1 real team this year (except Wyoming, good win), and got the piss pounded out of them like a little puppy.

Win a game against a winning team before talking about player of the this and that.

Looks like UND has their "mojo" back, right SU fans?  I mean they did beat the 12th best Big Sky team at home.

How do you know that wasn't by design? This staff seems to want to run the ball and stick with short to medium range passing game.

It very well may have been by design, but that's a poor design, IMO. There were guys open down field on multiple plays yesterday, Studs threw incomplete or worse to the short well covered receivers instead. I also noticed he was a second late on every throw, allowing coverage to catch up or forcing guys out of bounds to catch the ball and removing the chance of yards after the catch. Hopefully the timing will improve as he gets more experience. 

• Upvote 1

I don't really disagree but his second half was better and he has cleaned up the INT's which the other two QBs struggled with.  Bottom line is, you are really going to have a tough time benching the guy that is winning games no matter who they are against.  I think the topic is valid and should be looked at if he costs us a game down the road. 

You know I feel a little bit better today about the win than yesterday. I looked at some of the highlights from when UC Davis played Nevada and Hawaii. They certainly have some skill players and they're really not too bad. 

I geuss I kind of have that feeling you get after a one night stand and you roll over and see the gal laying there all hungover. Hair everywhere, makeup smeared, you know just a mess. A little later she comes out of the bathroom and gussies herself up a bit. You look her up and down and think to yourself not as bad as last weeks.