SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis Game Day Thread

Sioux94

Oline made some adjustments and Santiago ran very hard today. I would love to see a different center but maybe Cox just can't pull it off. I think both him and Grady looked great at tackle today and hope to see them build on that the rest of the year. 

I thought the Davis offense was pretty good, both QB's made some clutch throws and the running back was pretty tough. We need some sacks on D. 

Overall we're just not a playoff team this year without some major improvements. With that said were definitely improving from the last two years. Don't get me wrong I love to see them win but I think it was evident after today that we're not a playoff caliber team but an improving team with potential to be good next year. 

I have mixed feelings about the game.  It's great to win and the offense looked better and Studsrud had a much better second half.  The defense got pushed around a little today and UND lost a lot of 1 on1 matchups on 3rd and 4th down which is concerning.  I don't think the Davis defense is very good but I thought the offense looked pretty solid. 

It's time to put a real QB in he game. Studs has had enough time to develop game experience and just isn't ready to lead this team. We need to see what bartles or molberg have to bring to the table . Maybe they can jump start the passing game. I don't want to go all year with them on the bench.

Studsrud played better in the second half and the WR did actually drop a couple passes and normally this year the incompletions have just been bad passes.  I think the game plan was better this week and he ran better as well.  The entire first half he was late with is passes and in the second it seemed like his was hitting his back foot on his drop and throwing on time.  Could another QB play better? maybe or maybe not but if he keeps improving like I saw in the second half I will not be nearly as concerned as I was after the last couple games.

Davis isn't great but they do have some players.  The defense needs to create more 3rd and longs in order to get off the field and I don't think it was a great day overall because Davis got a lot of push in the run game.  I don't think the OL got a lot of push up front but they were much better finding who to block and staying with the blocks.  Fiedler had a couple really nice blocks today.  Ratelle is a Stud in spite of being held like crazy.  Santiago ran better today, got up field quickly and took what was available before putting a bunch of moves on.  Watching the game I was thinking are run game should at least mix in a few quick hitting run plays to go along with all the slower developing stuff. 

Edited by BigGame

Man, some of you guys are talking like we LOST today! It's a win and we are 3-1 just two years removed from an absolute train wreck.

There will be ups and downs along the way, but don't forget we are playing a lot of freshman (true and redshirt) and we don't have a lot of overall team depth.

People need to get off the freaking ledge and stop acting like the program is still a mess because I think we are headed in the right direction.

Hey, now. None of this duckies and bunnies talk! ;)

Not surprised with the secondary playing poorly today. The injury to Arnell and Brown leaving left a lot of guys who were 3rd stringers a week ago logging a lot of plays today. Our depth in the secondary as the season goes along will be a concern. 

I thought the secondary played a pretty good game today.  Sometimes a good throw and catch happens in spite of good coverage but the issue today is that is always seemed to happen in key situations. 

I thought the secondary played a pretty good game today.  Sometimes a good throw and catch happens in spite of good coverage but the issue today is that is always seemed to happen in key situations. 

I didn't think they played terrible but two of Davis' TD passes were in a safety who was a 3rd stringer last week and needs to get reps.  They also really struggled on communicating who is blitzing and were late on a few snaps. That shod also improve. 

Offensively, I'm holding judgement until Georges gets back. We need a burner to stretch the field. Smith in the slot may be another wrinkle. 

Next week will be a chance to get a ranked opponent on the road.  

Not surprised with the secondary playing poorly today. The injury to Arnell and Brown leaving left a lot of guys who were 3rd stringers a week ago logging a lot of plays today. Our depth in the secondary as the season goes along will be a concern. 

Brown not being in is a good thing and we will be better for it developing younger, more sizable talent.  Losing Arnell is a big blow as him and Reyes are on a little higher level than the other safeties.  On a side note, I saw a different video of the illegal hit.  It shows the SU kid the whole way, unbelievably cheap hit, he should be up for "the laser guided cheap shot of the year" in college football.

Brown not being in is a good thing and we will be better for it developing younger, more sizable talent.  Losing Arnell is a big blow as him and Reyes are on a little higher level than the other safeties.  On a side note, I saw a different video of the illegal hit.  It shows the SU kid the whole way, unbelievably cheap hit, he should be up for "the laser guided cheap shot of the year" in college football.

Link? Not going to judge until I see it

Man, some of you guys are talking like we LOST today! It's a win and we are 3-1 just two years removed from an absolute train wreck.

There will be ups and downs along the way, but don't forget we are playing a lot of freshman (true and redshirt) and we don't have a lot of overall team depth.

People need to get off the freaking ledge and stop acting like the program is still a mess because I think we are headed in the right direction.

I agree. We did have 240 yards rushing and caused 2 turnovers. So something was turning for the offense and defense. We are 3-1 and 1-0 in the BSC, let's rejoice in this win and get ready for the Vikings.

• Upvote 2