SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis Game Day Thread

Sioux94

Nice win sioux fans.  Got things turned around from the bison game anyway huh?

Things are far from turned around, but they are heading in the right direction...slowly but surely.  The NDSU game served it's purpose as a barometer to show what our program needs in order to get back to being a playoff team.  Will that happen this year?  Probably not, but Bubba has the program trending in the right direction. 

I must get way more frustrated watching the game on TV.  I went to the game on Sat. and had a fun time.  I came away relatively pleased.  Having said that, I don't think the games against the top level Big Sky teams will be pretty. 

My question is who are these top Big Sky teams that we can't play with? MSU and EW would be the 2 for me but we don't play EW and we have MSU at home so I think we might have a shot. I do think the Grizzlies and their passing attack could give UND troubles too. Other than that what game left on the schedule is a sure loss? My hope is we go 2-1 or 3-0 in our next 3 and we come into that MSU game 5-2 or 6-1 with a chance to make a huge statment.  I'm not saying we're the favorites in those games but I think UND will be in them with a chance to win.

There is no reason to go into any of these games without the idea that we can't win.  We need to sustain the running game we saw Saturday and we need a big time upgrade in the passing game.  Give Studsrud enough time I think he can be effective. ( yes, I have stated my opinion more than once on the QB position but doesn't mean given the right support Studsrud can't be effective).  The oline will be key for both the running game and passing game.  We will need to pass to win against the best Big Sky teams. If we can't pass we won't be able to run as well. I think expectations for this year should be higher than 5-6 or 6-5.  This is a good coaching staff and the kids believe in what they are trying to do. I disagree we  don't have enough talent.  We don't have a lot of depth at a number of positions.  This weekend is big.  We need a win here to let the team and our staff know we can  have success at this level now.

Edited by iramurphy
wrong word.
  • Upvote 4

There is no reason to go into any of these games without the idea that we can win.  We need to sustain the running game we saw Saturday and we need a big time upgrade in the passing game.  Give Studsrud enough time I think he can be effective. ( yes, I have stated my opinion more than once on the QB position but doesn't mean given the right support Studsrud can't be effective).  The oline will be key for both the running game and passing game.  We will need to pass to win against the best Big Sky teams. If we can't pass we won't be able to run as well. I think expectations for this year should be higher than 5-6 or 6-5.  This is a good coaching staff and the kids believe in what they are trying to do. I disagree we  don't have enough talent.  We don't have a lot of depth at a number of positions.  This weekend is big.  We need a win here to let the team and our staff know we can  have success at this level now.

Depth is key.  secondary and oline especially.  This game is key because they are ranked, leading the Big Sky(early of course), and a road win.  

My question is who are these top Big Sky teams that we can't play with? MSU and EW would be the 2 for me but we don't play EW and we have MSU at home so I think we might have a shot. I do think the Grizzlies and their passing attack could give UND troubles too. Other than that what game left on the schedule is a sure loss? My hope is we go 2-1 or 3-0 in our next 3 and we come into that MSU game 5-2 or 6-1 with a chance to make a huge statment.  I'm not saying we're the favorites in those games but I think UND will be in them with a chance to win.

When I typed that, I was thinking the Montana and Montana State games.  I think those two could get out of hand pretty easily.  I really hope I'm wrong on the Montana game since I'll be attending that one in person.

Got a chance to see Studsrud in-person for the first time at the Davis game.

He definitely needs to learn to get his passes out quicker.  He waits to see a man open, instead of throwing the receiver open.  It's a big detriment to the passing game right now.  Those windows close quickly at this level.  Hopefully it's something they are working on and he can get the confidence to throw the ball where it needs to be. 

• Upvote 1

Mr. Cerrantino gets the special teams gold star for his chase down and forced fumble. That really turned momentum. 

The "11th" guy (late to the field) who ruined UCD's fake field goal attempt gets the goat horns. They would've had success on that play; and worse yet, now everyone has it on tape. Lose. Lose. 

But the most impressive thing on the day to me: the last drive.

How many times have we seen UND give up a two score lead with about 5-7 minutes to play and then promptly go three-and-out, thus giving the opposing team hope, the ball, and about four minutes to try to score? 

But this week, instead, UND lets UCD to within seven and then ... slams the door. UND gets the ball with 6:07 to play at their 29. Instead of giving the ball right back they actually do what winners and champions do in that situation: control the ball and run the clock out by grinding out first downs. That to me was impressive. That to me is a step in a maturation process that I was happy to see. 

• Upvote 1

We need to keep in mind that Davis had a bad defense and then suffered a lot of injuries in Hawaii. We should have had more success against them on offense with that in consideration. We need to start fast as usual against PSU but we definatly need to avoid that lull which has allowed teams back into games. The foot needs to stay on the gas and we need to execute for four full quarters from here on out. Otherwise our record won't be too hot once we face more healthy and better teams.

Mr. Cerrantino gets the special teams gold star for his chase down and forced fumble. That really turned momentum. 

The "11th" guy (late to the field) who ruined UCD's fake field goal attempt gets the goat horns. They would've had success on that play; and worse yet, now everyone has it on tape. Lose. Lose. 

But the most impressive thing on the day to me: the last drive.

How many times have we seen UND give up a two score lead with about 5-7 minutes to play and then promptly go three-and-out, thus giving the opposing team hope, the ball, and about four minutes to try to score? 

But this week, instead, UND lets UCD to within seven and then ... slams the door. UND gets the ball with 6:07 to play at their 29. Instead of giving the ball right back they actually do what winners and champions do in that situation: control the ball and run the clock out by grinding out first downs. That to me was impressive. That to me is a step in a maturation process that I was happy to see. 

the touchdown drive at the end of the first half was also a key series in my opinion. Nice way to end a half.