SiouxSports.com Forum

UC Davis Game Day Thread

Sioux94

All 3 have looked pretty good, ok and not so good at times. If....and I'm saying if all 3 are healthy and one can find a groove to play somewhat to his potential and get this offense looking like a decent FCS offense (minus the barrier of restricted mind numbing play calling) it is Joe.

When I see comments like this it makes pretty clear that people don't really get UND's Football Philosophy under Bubba.  His philosophy isn't much different than what NDSU is doing just difference in athletes and time to implement them.  Play great defense and control the ball on offense.  The defense is greatly improved in a little over a year but still has a lot to improve upon going forward.  The offense needs upgrades and improved play almost everywhere and the bottom line is that the offense needs to first and foremost not turn the ball over to the other team.  That has been pretty good this season up until now.  Running the ball to control the clock has been very mixed results so far.  The passing game has been pretty much terrible and most of that lies with the QB but also the WR's, OL, and OC need some of the criticism.  I think the play calling needs to be somewhat more creative but not at the cost of turnovers which make the defenses job a lot tougher and that is the real difficulty in this situation.  Studsrud throws the ball just fine at times and this is usually when he gets the ball out on time.  If he hangs on to it I would rather see him just tuck it and run because his accuracy and chance of a turn over go up dramatically. 

Somehow UND is 3-2 in games in which Studsrud throws for less than 100 yards going back to last year. That's got to be one of the stranger statistics you're going to find for a team not running some form of option offense.

Well it basically means we are moving the ball on the ground, not as likely to turn the ball over, and playing good defense.  Bubba ball!  It works but it would be nice to take advantage or DB's playing up tight to the LOS.

If we are going to nitpick stats then make sure to inlcude that Adler dropped two passes and Cerriteno dropped one.  That makes 11-19 and probably 85 yards.  Not great but looks a lot better being over 55%.

Also, I will go as far as to say barring injury, Mollberg will never play another down.  He hasn't recovered from his injury fully, is tentative because of it in practice, and wasn't the most cerebral QB in the world anyway.  I don't care about GPA, I care about running an offense.

Edited by UND-1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I geuss I kind of have that feeling you get after a one night stand and you roll over and see the gal laying there all hungover. Hair everywhere, makeup smeared, you know just a mess. A little later she comes out of the bathroom and gussies herself up a bit. You look her up and down and think to yourself not as bad as last weeks. 

So is this how you picked your user name?

• Upvote 3

Well it basically means we are moving the ball on the ground, not as likely to turn the ball over, and playing good defense.  Bubba ball!  It works but it would be nice to take advantage or DB's playing up tight to the LOS.

I agree, but this is more or less the same formula used under Lennon, and games with under 100 yards passing were very few and far between. I guess my point is that while I'm certainly not displeased with the overall record with Studsrud under center, throwing for so few yards is not really something that can continue if we expect to win more than another game or two this season IMO.

• Upvote 1

I agree, but this is more or less the same formula used under Lennon, and games with under 100 yards passing were very few and far between. I guess my point is that while I'm certainly not displeased with the overall record with Studsrud under center, throwing for so few yards is not really something that continue if we expect to win more than another game or two this season IMO.

Agreed, and hopefully with see more QB play like the second half and improvement from that point.  If it doesn't happen UND really needs to start looking at other QB options.

Agreed, and hopefully with see more QB play like the second half and improvement from that point.  If it doesn't happen UND really needs to start looking at other QB options.

Name one WR on UND's roster that is all-conference type? 

What was the score in the third quarter of yesterday's game at one point? 28-10

Point is, UND does not have the playmakers out wide to consistently throw the football downfield; therefore, when the score of the game allows for it, the running game will be the offensive focus this season. Yes, the passing game needs to improve, but simply playing musical chairs with the QBs is not the answer. Give it a year or two to get better talent upfront on the offensive line and at receiver. For now, it's all about running the ball and play-action to simply keep defenses honest. When Georges comes back, you may see more deep shots downfield. 

So is this how you picked your user name?

Funny, no it's a nickname that has nothing to do with carnal knowledge "of a woman". Although, it would be a better story and nickname if it did. 

Edited by bang

Only stat that matters to me is 3-1. I've said it before that UND needs to take it one game at a time, but they "only," need to go 4-4 in the next 8 and they are probably in the playoffs. Portland St game is so huge b/c I think UNC at home is about as sure a win as we have. Assuming that, we get PSU and suddenly you only need to go 2-4 in the other games. 1 game at a time but after 4 games were 3-1 and that has me excited. 

• Upvote 3

Any kind of vertical threat in a passing game makes running the ball easier. Safeties aren't allowed to crowd the box and linebackers have to at least pay lip service to zone/man coverage instead of just going gung-ho after the run. UND ran the ball very well today despite the almost total lack of a passing game. However, we've seen how that can be completely shut down by a better team (NDSU) or better effort (Drake). A one-dimensional offense is easier to defend. For the offense to really grow, it needs a passing game. 

yep - And regardless of the QB, we need 2-3 shots down the field each game.  Run Smith or Santiago up a seam, something to keep 9 out of the box.  We need a vertical PA pass off of the jet sweep action, Portland St will be ripe for the pickens.

Name one WR on UND's roster that is all-conference type? 

What was the score in the third quarter of yesterday's game at one point? 28-10

Point is, UND does not have the playmakers out wide to consistently throw the football downfield; therefore, when the score of the game allows for it, the running game will be the offensive focus this season. Yes, the passing game needs to improve, but simply playing musical chairs with the QBs is not the answer. Give it a year or two to get better talent upfront on the offensive line and at receiver. For now, it's all about running the ball and play-action to simply keep defenses honest. When Georges comes back, you may see more deep shots downfield. 

That isn't what I was saying.  QB play in relation to passing was bad in the first half yesterday.  Timing was late almost every play until a completion right at the end of the half.  The Adler TD was late but the ball was thrown well.  He had a much better second half and I am good with him playing because he hasn't been a turning the ball over but if UND wants to be at the top of the big sky QB play overall has to keep improving.  It's a joint effort and WR play also needs to be better but they can't do anything if the ball isn't delivered when they get open either.  I guess I don't think you need two years to figure out if the QB will take you to the next level, I think it will likely be pretty clear toward the end of this season as he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game. 

Watching from the end zone, I think I saw Studsrud make it to past his first read twice all game.  He was immediately locked in on his primary receiver, waiting for them to make their break almost every single snap. It seemed obvious and is concerning. There were multiple secondary receivers coming across the middle on many of the plays he forced the ball to his primary receiver.  The interception was an absolutely brutal decision thrown right in the middle of two or three UC-Davis players with the UND player having no chance.  That being said, on the TD pass, he looked off the safety nicely and made an excellent throw.  His running looked pretty good (minus the turf monster that got him at the end), though if a couple of the plays were truly read-options instead of straight hand off or keeper, he made the wrong decision on a few that could have went for nice gains.  He's not in danger of losing his job by any means but there is room for improvement.  I trust the staff that he is the best option and in there for a reason.

The defense looked good, though you could tell they are still adjusting to Arnell not playing.  Thought Johnson played pretty well for the most part.  Davis put together two pretty nice second half drives (one aided by a dumb offsides penalty) but I think the defense looked very good overall.  Other than a very nice throw on one of the TD's that would have been tough to defend for anyone, Ratelle was an absolute monster out there.  Always in position and fundamentally sound.  He doesn't miss tackles and is always in the middle of the play. Such a fun player to watch.

A little bit of a mixed bag on special teams but I thought Davis left some yards on the field with their return game, UND's coverage wasn't exactly solid.

• Upvote 1

3-1 despite him? There are several good things that Studsrud does that go unnoticed. For example, yesterday he got outside the pocket and threw the ball away on a couple occasions that would have certainly resulted in 10 yard losses if Mollberg or Bartles were in the game. Also, does Bartles or Mollberg pull off a 20 yard run at the end of the game to keep the defense off the field?

Studsrud needs to improve, but right now the team is 3-1 (1-0). Its time to focus on improvement and not change. This whole "throw the QB under the bus" talk is such Monday Morning quarterbacking that it really is quite ridiculous. 

Good post.  He is a true soph and has a winning record.  There will be growing pains but I think we need to worry less about him and worry more of a offense as a whole.  The offensive line sucked the previous 2 games. The WR position has been below average all year.  Fumbles plagued the team vs Drake.  Play calling was a little suspect vs Drake and the Ag school. The easy way out is to blame the QB when things aren't going well, but there is more to it then what is perceived on the surface.  If he lays an egg over the next two games then we can have this discussion again.  But for now, I make a motion to have this topic tabled!

We had Adler streaking up the seam wide open in the second quarter. Studsrud didn't even give him a look. It's things like that that make me not trust him, and the constant fumbles. We are 3-1 despite him, he's just been along for the ride other than the WYO game.

I will say his QB play in the first half before Rudolph shut down the playbook is the only reason we won the Drake game.

Not an expert by any stretch of one's imagination, but... Wasn't this the knock on Brock Jensen at NDSU his first couple of years? The Bison won in spite of him? Seems that he (and the team around him, led by a stout defense) was able to win games and learn as he was doing. Not saying Studsrud will develop the same way, but that it seems like he is on that type of track. The last two wins have not been pretty by some measures, but NDSU won their share of games ugly in Jensen's early years too.

if Mollberg and Bartels are not healthy, it seems that it would not be a smart move to put them in to games that rely on qb runs as much as Rudolph's play calling does. Not that it is an exciting game plan, but it does require the qb be able to gain yards on the ground. Is this a result of Studsrud's ability or is it the predetermined mind-set of the head coach and offensive coordinator?

• Upvote 2