SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

14 minutes ago, FSSD said:

No, it would have same impact.  How it occurred - dirty/needless play on the part of a NDSU player.  Injury should have never happen.

If it would have had the same impact on your season and you say that injuries happen to every team, what is the point of bringing it up and calling me out by name specifically?

Every team in the nation deals with injuries, your original post seems to imply that I've somehow forgotten that UND dealt with injuries at key positions and that a team taking advantage of those injuries was the reason UND didn't have a more successful season. You don't think teams played NDSU any different without Wentz? It's just smart football.

My point is, injuries can't be used as a reason a team didn't accomplish something no matter how impactful they seem. The truth is every single team is injured to a certain extent, which is why many posters have pointed to UND's lack of depth as the real reason they were unable to win those two games. UND is in the process of building that depth and will be able to weather the injury storm much better in the years to come if recruiting trends the way it has.

4 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Sounds like a plan.  Let's take a page out of Roebuck's book and rattle off about 4 or 5 of our own.  

But if we did that Bison fans would claim the FCS was watered down, and our championship wouldn't mean anything like they said about our 2001 title.

My how things change.   You now how have Dan Hammer(former TV play by play guy for UND football  and  TV hockey play by play guy for UND ) gushing all over the  Bison  today on KFGO radio.   Joel Heitkamp   (former UND backer) and Jack Michaels our very recent radio play  by play guy also gushing all overthe Bison on the radio.  Scott Miller used to be our play by play guy for UND sports  of course now  has been with NDSU for a long time.  Brian Shawn is the TV announcer  for Bison football.   I believe Brian  is a UND grad and was almost a sideline reporter for UND a couple years ago.   Ed Schultz was an  announcer for both programs.    These media people sure change their colors in a hurry sometimes.     

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dagger said:

My how things change.   You now how have Dan Hammer(former TV play by play guy for UND football  and  TV hockey play by play guy for UND ) gushing all over the  Bison  today on KFGO radio.   Joel Heitkamp   (former UND backer) and Jack Michaels our very recent radio play  by play guy also gushing all overthe Bison on the radio.  Scott Miller used to be our play by play guy for UND sports  of course now  has been with NDSU for a long time.  Brian Shawn is the TV announcer  for Bison football.   I believe Brian  is a UND grad and was almost a sideline reporter for UND a couple years ago.   Ed Schultz was an  announcer for both programs.    These media people sure change their colors in a hurry sometimes.     

Pat Sweeney would never gush about the bizon.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

If it would have had the same impact on your season and you say that injuries happen to every team, what is the point of bringing it up and calling me out by name specifically?

Every team in the nation deals with injuries, your original post seems to imply that I've somehow forgotten that UND dealt with injuries at key positions and that a team taking advantage of those injuries was the reason UND didn't have a more successful season. You don't think teams played NDSU any different without Wentz? It's just smart football.

My point is, injuries can't be used as a reason a team didn't accomplish something no matter how impactful they seem. The truth is every single team is injured to a certain extent, which is why many posters have pointed to UND's lack of depth as the real reason they were unable to win those two games. UND is in the process of building that depth and will be able to weather the injury storm much better in the years to come if recruiting trends the way it has.

Hmmm, my point as I have previously posted is the injury should have never happened it was a dirty hit.

43 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I never cared for Dan Hammer after all those years getting all hard over the Bison while doing the sports on KVLY, then all of a sudden he thinks he can do UND sports, sorry doesn't happen overnight. Pat Sweeney was the true play by play guy for this university not these Bison people with a UND hat. I am glad Dan is gone. I felt the same way when Ed Schultz started doing UND football. After listening to his bias play by play of the UND-NDSU games was horrific and then he can try and call UND games. Didn't sound right to me. Go ahead these "fake" former UND announcers, so and gush over the Herd. Doesn't bother me any.  UND needs to hire these guys from "within". 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, tjamz said:

That should tell you what NDSU thinks about UND.  And what does it say about UND that they accepted this offer? THAT is the real question.

I for one was not happy Faison accepted that offer. Either it's a home and home or we just wait until we meet in the playoffs. That would have been my hard line position on the subject.

• Upvote 2

As far as the title game match up, I think it will be pretty entertaining game.  I'm not ready to pick against NDSU, but when the field was announced a month ago, I felt that UNI and Jacksonville State were the two teams that posed the biggest challenge to NDSU.  Obviously, they handled UNI fairly easily in the dome.  The stands in Frisco will be tilting toward the Bison, but I think the Gamecocks will give them a game.  I think it will be the most competitive title game match up they have had so far.  

Regardless of the outcome of this game I tip my hat to NDSU for what they have accomplished in the last half-decade.  As much as I love to hate them, I appreciate good football, and they have provided a lot of it in recent years.

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I never cared for Dan Hammer after all those years getting all hard over the Bison while doing the sports on KVLY, then all of a sudden he thinks he can do UND sports, sorry doesn't happen overnight. Pat Sweeney was the true play by play guy for this university not these Bison people with a UND hat. I am glad Dan is gone. I felt the same way when Ed Schultz started doing UND football. After listening to his bias play by play of the UND-NDSU games was horrific and then he can try and call UND games. Didn't sound right to me. Go ahead these "fake" former UND announcers, so and gush over the Herd. Doesn't bother me any.  UND needs to hire these guys from "within". 

I seem to remember both Hammer and Schultz doing UND hockey (home and away) during the 1980's on what was then KTHI Channel 11. I think Schultz did it in the early 1980's, then he moved onto WDAY. Then Hammer was doing UND games during the mid to late 1980's (I think he went to Detroit to cover the Hrkac Circus Frozen Four in 1987).

2 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Regardless of the outcome of this game I tip my hat to NDSU for what they have accomplished in the last half-decade.  As much as I love to hate them, I appreciate good football, and they have provided a lot of it in recent years.

Just remember that the Bison faithful will never, ever "tip their hat" to UND for anything, no matter what it is. That is why I am not going to lavish accolades on them. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I seem to remember both Hammer and Schultz doing UND hockey (home and away) during the 1980's on what was then KTHI Channel 11. I think Schultz did it in the early 1980's, then he moved onto WDAY. Then Hammer was doing UND games during the mid to late 1980's (I think he went to Detroit to cover the Hrkac Circus Frozen Four in 1987).

When it was Schultz and Sweeney during the Sioux-Bison games was interesting how Sweeney tried to be impartial but Schultz would almost always try to pump the Bison instead of just calling the game. I understand his bias but it gets tiring as the game went on. 

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just remember that the Bison faithful will never, ever "tip their hat" to UND for anything, no matter what it is. That is why I am not going to lavish accolades on them. Just my opinion.

Oh, I'm not so sure.  Maybe not on the interwebs, but I live in a pretty divided area when it comes to UND/NDSU loyalties.  Most every NDSU fan that I know personally has told me we got shafted as far as the playoff selections went.  And I attended the game at the Fargodome this year on the dime of and NDSU season ticketholder.  Everyone I came across in the dome and at tailgating were pretty welcoming.  What happens in cyberspace doesn't always happen in the real world.  

Still hoping Jacksonville St wins though!!  ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Not true. Ive tipped my hat on your hockey program numerous times. Plus when you had a very good womens volleyball team.

I love how the SU blather is how great having SU football in the playoffs is for the state but when the state got screwed out of a chance to have two schools in the playoffs many down south were happy about it. My two favorite teams will always be UND and anyone playing SU.  

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Boomer 40AAA said:

The best play by play guy UND ever had was Jim Bohlman.His loyalty never wavered.

Ever heard of Pat Haden? USC football player.. Now athletic director. He did Notre Dame games for NBC for 11 years even after being a part of that rivalry as a player. You don't want a homer, I can hardly listen to the Vikings because Paul Allen is too much of a fan.. Just someone who will try to do a good job.

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Ever heard of Pat Haden? USC football player.. Now athletic director. He did Notre Dame games for NBC for 11 years even after being a part of that rivalry as a player. You don't want a homer, I can hardly listen to the Vikings because Paul Allen is too much of a fan.. Just someone who will try to do a good job.

PA is the absolute worst..........his mug shot pops up when one Google's "Tool". His ignorance and arrorogance plus his over the top urban slang BS all the time is nauseating.

I enjoy listening to TH.........."Fair and Balanced"!  :wink:

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, tjamz said:

For the record, I've been in favor of never playing UND again unless it's in the playoffs.  I really don't think it is good for either school as it brings out the worst in most fans.  As for why we did with Weber, we had an opening in our schedule last season and this season.  Weber was one of a few schools that we could do a home and home with in those years that had the right dates open.  I'm fairly certain that IF those dates were open at both UND & NDSU we may have seen a home and home scenario play out there as well.  The stars didn't align so it didn't happen.

The only way I want to renew this "rivalry" is if you join our conference.

I'm calling BS on the home and home. There were multiple options to schedule a home and home and NDSU wouldn't do it.  NDSU wouldn't even play a home and home with UND with the games being 4 years apart. 

As far as bringing out the the worst in fans - my son was at the game as a UND student and one obnoxious fan yelled a few things early in the game.  The SU fans around them told him to shut up as did the security guard and it ended.  No issues that I am aware of.

14 hours ago, FSSD said:

No, it would have same impact.  How it occurred - dirty/needless play on the part of a NDSU player.  Injury should have never happen.

Wasn't it all the rage before the game to claim that UND was going to get behind and then start playing chippy and dirty? Weird (and unfortunate for UND) how that played out.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Wasn't it all the rage before the game to claim that UND was going to get behind and then start playing chippy and dirty? Weird (and unfortunate for UND) how that played out.

Funny how that worked out.  UND was going to "target Wentz's ankle".  :silly:

Instead, their meathead blocking TE goes and superman-dives into the back of our safeties knee from behind ending his year.  

• Upvote 4