SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

5 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Well one of your UND beat writers tweeted out when there weren't enough bowl eligible teams that a team in Grand Forks would take on anybody in the FBS. Kind of sounds like Mr. Nelson thinks UND was as good as anybody in the country.

He meant that we would gladly play anyone, that all we wanted was an extended season.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Correct.............. 2 for 2. Well done!

Let's see if I can go 3 for 3. UND fans are basing this fictional line of thinking on beating one team that made the playoffs and lost in their first playoff game?

Makes sense I guess.

Winning games to end a season is far better than losing, so I understand why UND fans are feeling optimistic about the future. But the groupthink that has led to this false sense of feeling like UND was one of the best teams in the country at the end of the season has gone too far IMO. UND was a nice team at the end of the regular season, but realistically, UND didn't show enough against the good teams on their schedule to give anyone other than a biased observer any reason to think they would have made noise in the playoffs.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Let's see if I can go 3 for 3. UND fans are basing this fictional line of thinking on beating one team that made the playoffs and lost in their first playoff game?

Makes sense I guess.

Winning games to end a season is far better than losing, so I understand why UND fans are feeling optimistic about the future. But the groupthink that has led to this false sense of feeling like UND was one of the best teams in the country at the end of the season has gone too far IMO. UND was a nice team at the end of the regular season, but realistically, UND didn't show enough against the good teams on their schedule to give anyone other than a biased observer any reason to think they would have made noise in the playoffs.

Huh.  UND beat the best team on their schedule, on the road.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Makes sense I guess.

Did you watch the game Friday? Richmond was not very good and a poor representative of a semifinalist to be kind.

UND/NDSU meet in week 3.  Since that meeting thru the end of the regular season both team's defensives improved. UND's offense improved greatly. NDSU doesn't have Wentz... their offense is not better now than week 3. UND's strength is running the ball and stopping the run........same with NDSU. Richmond couldn't stop the run and was generally inept on both sides of the ball. I don't think it is a stretch to think UND/NDSU 2.0 would have been more competitive than Richmond/NDSU.

So who was or is more responsible for the nearly five year run?

A.  Craig Bowl for his leadership and not chasing cheerleaders in his reign In Fargo?

B.  Gene Taylor for putting everything in place and taking the heat off players after Best Buy gate and the Marijuana petition gate?

C.  Teammakers for being just too delusional, as you accuse us of being?

D.  Mussman, because he was too inept at recruiting and coaching that the Bizon recruited who they wanted, so the team despised by trolls couldn't put up a fight?

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Did you watch the game Friday? Richmond was not very good and a poor representative of a semifinalist to be kind.

UND/NDSU meet in week 3.  Since that meeting thru the end of the regular season both team's defensives improved. UND's offense improved greatly. NDSU doesn't have Wentz... their offense is not better now than week 3. UND's strength is running the ball and stopping the run........same with NDSU. Richmond couldn't stop the run and was generally inept on both sides of the ball.

I watch every NDSU game and I watched this last one twice.

NDSU has a way of making teams look much worse than they are by dominating the line of scrimmage and beating teams down over time. NDSU's defense is playing at an amazing level right now and would have made any team in the country look bad Friday night.

Richmond was a damn good team, if you don't believe it's true, that was the only Richmond game you watched all year.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND/NDSU meet in week 3.  Since that meeting thru the end of the regular season both team's defensives improved. UND's offense improved greatly. NDSU doesn't have Wentz... their offense is not better now than week 3. UND's strength is running the ball and stopping the run........same with NDSU. Richmond couldn't stop the run and was generally inept on both sides of the ball.

Also, I would argue that without Wentz our offense has actually been more in line with what has made NDSU the best team in the country. The play calling was too heavily reliant on Wentz arm. Without him the offense has been much more balanced and other stars have emerged. I'm not saying they are better off without him, but in some ways the play calling has been much improved without Carson.

19 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Again, you do realize you are saying that a 7-4 team that missed the playoffs is better than a national semifinalist right?

What about the NDSU/UND game makes anyone around here think UND would have done better than Richmond? The scores were nearly identical.

For one, if the scores were identical doesn't it mean that they are two fairly similar matched teams. Two, if you read my quote I'm saying I doubt we'd be a better team in the semi's then Richmond. 

In Summary, you first you accuse oxbow and I of claiming UND would beat NDSU and win the title. Then after we pointed out niether of us claimed that just about how we'd match up with Richmond. You then blast us on the comparison and then statistically prove Oxbows point by noting the score of the two teams against NDSU was the same. How drunk are you?  

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Also, I would argue that without Wentz our offense has actually been more in line with what has made NDSU the best team in the country. The play calling was too heavily reliant on Wentz arm. Without him the offense has been much more balanced and other stars have emerged. I'm not saying they are better off without him, but in some ways the play calling has been much improved without Carson.

Und made ndsu rely on him.  Ndsu couldn't run against und.  It was by far their worst rushing game in years.  Minus wentz, und would do better then most against  ndsu, defensively.  It's the ndsu defense that  is stellar right now, they will give most teams fits. 

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So who was or is more responsible for the nearly five year run?

A.  Craig Bowl for his leadership and not chasing cheerleaders in his reign In Fargo?

B.  Gene Taylor for putting everything in place and taking the heat off players after Best Buy gate and the Marijuana petition gate?

C.  Teammakers for being just too delusional, as you accuse us of being?

D.  Mussman, because he was too inept at recruiting and coaching that the Bizon recruited who they wanted, so the team despised by trolls couldn't put up a fight?

Bohl

5 minutes ago, bang said:

For one, if the scores were identical doesn't it mean that they are two fairly similar matched teams. Two, if you read my quote I'm saying I doubt we'd be a better team in the semi's then Richmond. 

In Summary, you first you accuse oxbow and I of claiming UND would beat NDSU and win the title. Then after we pointed out niether of us claimed that just about how we'd match up with Richmond. You then blast us on the comparison and then statistically prove Oxbows point by noting the score of the two teams against NDSU was the same. How drunk are you?  

Oxbow further dug his feet in with his point when asked directly, so not sure what your talking about actually.

12 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

First of all NDSU is not yet the best team in the country. Rated #3 playing in the championship game.........at the FCS level.

Second Stick is on the same level as Studsrud as a QB..........and neither one is close to Wentz. Fluff it up all you want but NDSU has a better chance to win Jan. 9 with Wentz than Stick.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

First of all NDSU is not yet the best team in the country. Rated #3 playing in the championship game.........at the FCS level.

Second Stick is on the same level as Studsrud as a QB..........and neither one is close to Wentz. Fluff it up all you want but NDSU has a better chance to win Jan. 9 with Wentz than Stick.

By best team in the country I meant historically(the last 4 years)I can see how you would have read it the way you did.

You're right, stick isn't wentz. But that isn't what I claimed. What I'm saying is the play calling was too reliant on Carson, theories abound about why that may be. Coaches trying to show we can pass, trying to showcase an NFL arm too much etc. Without Carson, NDSU returned to a much more historical style of their offense and it has worked much better. We are a ball control, field position, grind you out team. Under Carson, we lost that identity in my opinion and put our defense in tougher positions.

Would I take Carson if he were healthy for the championship. Absolutely, but only if the play calling is more in line with what we've seen them call for Stick.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Again, you do realize you are saying that a 7-4 team that missed the playoffs is better than a national semifinalist right?

What about the NDSU/UND game makes anyone around here think UND would have done better than Richmond? The scores were nearly identical.

They didn't exactly have a tough path to Fargo.

47 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND/NDSU meet in week 3.  Since that meeting thru the end of the regular season both team's defensives improved. UND's offense improved greatly. NDSU doesn't have Wentz... their offense is not better now than week 3. UND's strength is running the ball and stopping the run........same with NDSU. Richmond couldn't stop the run and was generally inept on both sides of the ball. I don't think it is a stretch to think UND/NDSU 2.0 would have been more competitive than Richmond/NDSU.

You can't seriously believe we would have beat Richmond. They would have shreded our pass defense just as NDSU did in week 3. Let's be honest here we were no where close to being a top 10 team even at the end of the season. And NDSU would have dominated us just like Richmond. Our team just isn't at that level yet. Hopefully we take another step forward next year but let's not make it out to be something it wasn't this year.

• Downvote 1

Quit arguing with Bison06, remember Bison fans pump up all opponents (except us) they play including DII Ferris St, they pumped up that team on a Bama level on Bisonswille. So let's ignore him and he will go away, only to be replaced by another troll (Bisonalum2011 maybe).

1 minute ago, North Dakota said:

You can't seriously believe we would have beat Richmond. They would have shreded our pass defense just as NDSU did in week 3. Let's be honest here we were no where close to being a top 10 team even at the end of the season. And NDSU would have dominated us just like Richmond. Our team just isn't at that level yet. Hopefully we take another step forward next year but let's not make it out to be something it wasn't this year.

Top 10 no, a frickin playoff team definitely. If Studsrud don't get hurt we go 9-2! Think about that.

15 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

As to your first sentence where did I say anything about UND beating Richmond? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt your reading comprehension skills are better than the SU educated that roam this site. My point...again for all of you that are slow...was that based on the way UND was playing at the end of their season that if you put that team in the Dome Friday they would have been more competitive vs SU than Richmond was. No way NDSU runs over UND like they did Richmond. That puts more of the game on Stick's arm which is not how SU wants to play. Plus UND wouldn't have been any worse offensively than Richmond was. Got it?

• Upvote 2