SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

3 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I'm calling BS on the home and home. There were multiple options to schedule a home and home and NDSU wouldn't do it.  NDSU wouldn't even play a home and home with UND with the games being 4 years apart. 

As far as bringing out the the worst in fans - my son was at the game as a UND student and one obnoxious fan yelled a few things early in the game.  The SU fans around them told him to shut up as did the security guard and it ended.  No issues that I am aware of.

I don't really blame NDSU for not scheduling a home and home, even if their schedule would have allowed it. There was no real reason or need for them to do so. Ultimately, UND could have prevented the rivalry from ever ending, but chose not too. Now NDSU is in a position where playing UND (at least the UND team that we have had over the past several seasons) is of no benefit to them. They are going to try to schedule the perennial powers (yes there are exceptions ex. Incarnate Word)

Bottom line, UND wanted to restart the rivalry and was in no position to make many demands. I'm glad that we took the game package that was offered because it opened the door. Throw into the mix that UND is (and hopefully continues) to improve, and hopefully a playoff meeting, and maybe this rivalry will get back on track in a few years. If UND can put themselves into a perennial power position, then maybe we can start scheduling home and homes, and even makes them more frequent.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't really blame NDSU for not scheduling a home and home, even if their schedule would have allowed it. There was no real reason or need for them to do so. Ultimately, UND could have prevented the rivalry from ever ending, but chose not too. Now NDSU is in a position where playing UND (at least the UND team that we have had over the past several seasons) is of no benefit to them. They are going to try to schedule the perennial powers (yes there are exceptions ex. Incarnate Word)

Bottom line, UND wanted to restart the rivalry and was in no position to make many demands. I'm glad that we took the game package that was offered because it opened the door. Throw into the mix that UND is (and hopefully continues) to improve, and hopefully a playoff meeting, and maybe this rivalry will get back on track in a few years. If UND can put themselves into a perennial power position, then maybe we can start scheduling home and homes, and even makes them more frequent.

So why didn't we just have all other games in Fargo too? MBB, WBB, BB.....you name it, it will happen in Fargo only.

Honestly, bowing down to the Ag College just makes us weaker and more impotent. Faison should have told them to take the deal and stick it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

There is one reason NDSU doesn't want to play in Grand Forks and it has nothing to do with where UND's program was at the last 10 years or where its going.  Don't kid yourself.

41 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ultimately, UND could have prevented the rivalry from ever ending, but chose not too.

Sure UND could have prevented it from ending when it did (omitting that at the time that playing FCS teams actually hurt D-II schools, win or lose, though it was changed very shortly thereafter). But do you honestly think that NDSU would have kept up the series once it no longer benefitted them because playing UND as a D-II or transition wouldn't have counted in their win total? Not a chance.

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Faison should have told them to take the deal and stick it.

He did, multiple times. Then head football coach laid out the reasons why he felt it was important to do, regardless of the terms. Apparently it was a persuasive argument.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, homer said:

There is one reason NDSU doesn't want to play in Grand Forks and it has nothing to do with where UND's program was at the last 10 years or where its going.  Don't kid yourself.

Then Bison fans should stop itching to have UND jump to the MVFC/Summit League if there is an opening, because then they would have to travel to Grand Forks at least once every other year whether they like it or not.

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I realize you probably weren't connected at the time the decision was made. There has been a lot of revisionist history created about the situation at the time. Bottom line was that SU chose to move up a level which included more scholarships, higher level of recruit plus DII teams were penalized for playing teams up a level. After a 10 year losing streak to UND of course SU wanted to continue the game - they now had more scholarships and were recruiting DI athletes. Based on the penalty and the unlevel playing field UND chose not to schedule but the reality is it was SU that made the decision that led to the end of the game being played.   

The NCAA needs to move the FCS schedule to 12 games permanently (just like FBS), and force FCS schools to use the other 11 games to play other FCS schools (3 non-conference games).  Use some of the same things they used back in the DII days to try and help come playoff selection time.  Penalize FCS teams with DII wins.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I realize you probably weren't connected at the time the decision was made. There has been a lot of revisionist history created about the situation at the time. Bottom line was that SU chose to move up a level which included more scholarships, higher level of recruit plus DII teams were penalized for playing teams up a level. After a 10 year losing streak to UND of course SU wanted to continue the game - they now had more scholarships and were recruiting DI athletes. Based on the penalty and the unlevel playing field UND chose not to schedule but the reality is it was SU that made the decision that led to the end of the game being played.  (I am sure the hovering trolls will be quick to post a different mindset but it is what it is.) 

Today I learned that a 3 year win streak is now a ten year win streak... That sounds like revisionist history to me.

10 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Today I learned that a 3 year win streak is now a ten year win streak... That sounds like revisionist history to me.

He is referring to the period between 1993 and 2003 when UND beat NDSU on the gridiron 10 out of 13 times (including 1-1 in the playoffs). He could have been more precise, but his original point stands.

• Upvote 1

Ok, lets clear up a few things here.

First of all, there have been some comments on here that kind of lump all NDSU fans into one group. There are plenty of Bison fans that would like to see this rivalry played every year, regardless of where it is played. Then there are plenty of fans, who think their team is God's gift to football.

Yes, they played Weber, and yes, I said there were exceptions to the scheduling of difficult teams. But given where the programs have been over recent years, there isn't a ton for NDSU to gain from putting that on the schedule. Revenue, yes; and I'm not saying that they're reasons were great, but it is certainly understandable. Was there bitterness between the schools ... of course, and I think Brad's article this past fall pointed out that there was plenty of blame to go around.

Comparing basketball to football is a little ridiculous given the number of games that are played. Any to be fair that is a game that has been scheduled back and forth.

I guess what I was saying, it back in the day we could have scheduled NDSU; but we didn't have to, so we didn't. Now, NDSU does not have to schedule UND, so they haven't (at least not on a regular basis. We scheduled UNI back then ..... they schedule Weber and Incarnate Word now.

Ultimately, trying to place 100% of the blame on NDSU is about as ignorant as trying to place 100% of the blame on UND.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ok, lets clear up a few things here.

First of all, there have been some comments on here that kind of lump all NDSU fans into one group. There are plenty of Bison fans that would like to see this rivalry played every year, regardless of where it is played. Then there are plenty of fans, who think their team is God's gift to football.

Yes, they played Weber, and yes, I said there were exceptions to the scheduling of difficult teams. But given where the programs have been over recent years, there isn't a ton for NDSU to gain from putting that on the schedule. Revenue, yes; and I'm not saying that they're reasons were great, but it is certainly understandable. Was there bitterness between the schools ... of course, and I think Brad's article this past fall pointed out that there was plenty of blame to go around.

Comparing basketball to football is a little ridiculous given the number of games that are played. Any to be fair that is a game that has been scheduled back and forth.

I guess what I was saying, it back in the day we could have scheduled NDSU; but we didn't have to, so we didn't. Now, NDSU does not have to schedule UND, so they haven't (at least not on a regular basis. We scheduled UNI back then ..... they schedule Weber and Incarnate Word now.

Ultimately, trying to place 100% of the blame on NDSU is about as ignorant as trying to place 100% of the blame on UND.

Let's clear another thing up.  Here is what we were reacting to.  His statement was that NDSU would have scheduled UND for a home and home if the dates worked out. To which I said BS - there were plenty of times the dates would have lined up for a home and home over the years.  Nothing more...nothing less.

Per Tjamz - 

For the record, I've been in favor of never playing UND again unless it's in the playoffs.  I really don't think it is good for either school as it brings out the worst in most fans.  As for why we did with Weber, we had an opening in our schedule last season and this season.  Weber was one of a few schools that we could do a home and home with in those years that had the right dates open.  I'm fairly certain that IF those dates were open at both UND & NDSU we may have seen a home and home scenario play out there as well.  The stars didn't align so it didn't happen.

55 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Let's clear another thing up.  Here is what we were reacting to.  His statement was that NDSU would have scheduled UND for a home and home if the dates worked out. To which I said BS - there were plenty of times the dates would have lined up for a home and home over the years.  Nothing more...nothing less.

Per Tjamz - 

For the record, I've been in favor of never playing UND again unless it's in the playoffs.  I really don't think it is good for either school as it brings out the worst in most fans.  As for why we did with Weber, we had an opening in our schedule last season and this season.  Weber was one of a few schools that we could do a home and home with in those years that had the right dates open.  I'm fairly certain that IF those dates were open at both UND & NDSU we may have seen a home and home scenario play out there as well.  The stars didn't align so it didn't happen.

Good to know. I didn't see the original comment. Certainly not trying approve of everything that NDSU does, just defending my original statement, that I somewhat understand it. As for the Weber, I've heard mixed things on that as well. Not that any of it matters much.

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

PA is the absolute worst..........his mug shot pops up when one Google's "Tool". His ignorance and arrorogance plus his over the top urban slang BS all the time is nauseating.

I enjoy listening to TH.........."Fair and Balanced"!  :wink:

this x 100   Puffy carried his ass....  I don't listen to KFAN because of him.  I would rather watch a on-line update screen with no sound.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Wasn't it all the rage before the game to claim that UND was going to get behind and then start playing chippy and dirty? Weird (and unfortunate for UND) how that played out.

Exactly and now they run from the topic once the reality is they were the D-Bags....

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you agree to a home and home to Weber St., you should have no problem agreeing to a home and home against UND.  Just sayin.

Weber scheduled us when we needed a game. UND didnt. Cant use the scholarships as an excuse because they wouldnt of had any material effect for at least 2 years.

The bottom line is it ate your lunch with NDSU scheduling everyone but you. Gene Taylor stuck it to you. Thats where your angst come from and I understand that. As they say turn about is fair play.  But its time to let it go dont you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Weber scheduled us when we needed a game. UND didnt. Cant use the scholarships as an excuse because they wouldnt of had any material effect for at least 2 years.

The bottom line is it ate your lunch with NDSU scheduling everyone but you. Gene Taylor stuck it to you. Thats where your angst come from and I understand that. As they say turn about is fair play.  But its time to let it go dont you think?

It bugged you that the Fargo media (mainly Dom Izzo) would bring it up and Bohl and GT would make up any excuse possible while at the same time crying we don't have a full schedule because everyone is scared to play us. Sorry you can't have it both ways, and Bubba called you on your bluff. We know NDSU is scared to play in GF and that's fine, I hope they end up with Ferris St between now and 2019 as that 3rd OOC game. Bison fans won't let it go so why should we?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It bugged you that the Fargo media (mainly Dom Izzo) would bring it up and Bohl and GT would make up any excuse possible while at the same time crying we don't have a full schedule because everyone is scared to play us. Sorry you can't have it both ways, and Bubba called you on your bluff. We know NDSU is scared to play in GF and that's fine, I hope they end up with Ferris St between now and 2019 as that 3rd OOC game. Bison fans won't let it go so why should we?

You can't possibly think NDSU is scared to play in Grand Forks do you? The reason NDSU didn't schedule a game to play in Grand Forks has been discussed by many for years, whether you agree with their reasoning or not, saying they are scared just makes you sound like a petulent child.

• Downvote 5

42 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You can't possibly think NDSU is scared to play in Grand Forks do you? The reason NDSU didn't schedule a game to play in Grand Forks has been discussed by many for years, whether you agree with their reasoning or not, saying they are scared just makes you sound like a petulent child.

Nope they are scared. If they have no problem going to Weber St and EWU but will absolutely say no to Grand Forks, it's not about money, they are scared.