SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

7 hours ago, bison73 said:

There was no way there was going to be a game in  GF under GTs watch. Period.  You can call it pay back, sour grapes or whatever you want to make your self feel better. Makes no difference. It is what it is. GT wrote the contract you signed.  So who really has the sour grapes? Not me.

If that is true (and I have heard this same thing from other people associated with FargoU), offering things you have zero intention of honoring seems like an incredibly unprofessional and bush league way to negotiate, but that all become abundantly clear that was standard operating procedure as the goal posts continued to move. No real surprise that GT would do something like that though I suppose.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If that is true (and I have heard this same thing from other people associated with FargoU), offering things you have zero intention of honoring seems like an incredibly unprofessional and bush league way to negotiate, but that all become abundantly clear that was standard operating procedure as the goal posts continued to move. No real surprise that GT would do something like that though I suppose.

Oh it's true.  After that UND did everything in its power to see that NDSU would fail in their transition.  (not playing in any sport was one)  When NDSU was successful in DI the jealousy at UND prompted their move, but the die was cast and GT was never going to give UND a break.  Call it what you want but that's what went down.  

7 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Oh it's true.  After that UND did everything in its power to see that NDSU would fail in their transition.  (not playing in any sport was one)  When NDSU was successful in DI the jealousy at UND prompted their move, but the die was cast and GT was never going to give UND a break.  Call it what you want but that's what went down.  

Spin it whatever way it makes you feel better but there is absolutely zero surprise to anyone who pays attention that GT would purposely negotiate in bad faith and make offers he had zero intention of honoring. Maybe it's something leaking out of the horse barns into the FargoU water supply the prevents anything different?

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

That's funny when you said UND intentionally tried to make NDSU fail at transitioning by dropping them in all sports. If that is true how do you explain UND dropping all sports to SDSU as well? And SDSU had no problem scheduling UND a h/h. I guess they have more class in Brookings and more ass in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Not trying to fan the flames but I am not aware how UND did everything in its power to see that NDSU would fail other than not playing them.  Do you have other examples?

9 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Your just confused....  The main reason GT was mad at RT & the UND athletic dept was the press conference RT held to announce that they wouldn't play NDSU in any sport.  No giving GT a courtesy call ahead of the press conference was bush league.  He had to hear it from a reporter.  That started the bad blood. 

ahh the infamous press conference....

11 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Your just confused....  The main reason GT was mad at RT & the UND athletic dept was the press conference RT held to announce that they wouldn't play NDSU in any sport.  No giving GT a courtesy call ahead of the press conference was bush league.  He had to hear it from a reporter.  That started the bad blood. 

What was the real kicker on this whole deal was the timing. UND sat on the contract to keep playing  the game until most teams had filled out their schedule.

They then made the announcement at a presser without letting GT know. NDSU then had to scramble to fill their schedules. That deal right there set the tone.

23 hours ago, dakota said:

To be fair, NDSU has absolutely nothing to gain from playing UND., but that does not imply that they are afraid to play the game. That's why Coach Schweigert insisted on allowing the two consecutive games at the Fargodome. It was a shrewd bit of gamesmanship on his part - call their bluff, get on the schedule, gain experience of playing the bison the first time around and be able to call on the lessons learned for the next time, whether in 2019 or in a playoff game before that.

Both UND's (Thomas) and NDSU's (Taylor and/or Bohl) problem children have moved on and the game will happen with more regularity now that the ice has been broken.

And, personally, I hope UND does not move to the Summit, but would not mind if NDSU and even the South Dakota schools would join the Big Sky if the Summit does fall apart.

Bingo. Bubba gambled that the opportunity, experience, and exposure was worth not having a home game. At first I thought he gave up too much but now I think it might have been a good move, long term.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2015 at 9:11 PM, homer said:

NDSU's athletic dept. isn't clueless, a loss to UND would really change the way people see things in regards to football.  The odds of a UND win go down severely when the game is in the Fargodome with a playoff atmosphere.  There is a reason Gene wouldn't agree to a game in Grand Forks no matter what was thrown at him.  

But I thought the Fargodome was not a hard place to play. . I heard from many SIoux fans that UND owned the Fargodome. Why play in the Alerus in front of 12,000 when they can play in their home away from home in front of 19,000? 

• Downvote 2

23 hours ago, dakota said:

To be fair, NDSU has absolutely nothing to gain from playing UND., but that does not imply that they are afraid to play the game. That's why Coach Schweigert insisted on allowing the two consecutive games at the Fargodome. It was a shrewd bit of gamesmanship on his part - call their bluff, get on the schedule, gain experience of playing the bison the first time around and be able to call on the lessons learned for the next time, whether in 2019 or in a playoff game before that.

Both UND's (Thomas) and NDSU's (Taylor and/or Bohl) problem children have moved on and the game will happen with more regularity now that the ice has been broken.

And, personally, I hope UND does not move to the Summit, but would not mind if NDSU and even the South Dakota schools would join the Big Sky if the Summit does fall apart.

22 hours ago, bison73 said:

The Summit is rated pretty high right now.

The Big Sky is a solid conference, the Summit is not stable and doesn't have a football home for UND. RPI's are fluid and subject to change. Fullerton is pushing the boundaries while Douple doesn't have vision other than backfilling for schools that have left the conference.

And to top it off, when I was in school, the Big Sky was the conference I always thought UND and NDSU should join.

4 hours ago, bison73 said:

What was the real kicker on this whole deal was the timing. UND sat on the contract to keep playing  the game until most teams had filled out their schedule.

They then made the announcement at a presser without letting GT know. NDSU then had to scramble to fill their schedules. That deal right there set the tone.

The timing? The press conference was held February 10. The basketball teams were still in season. It was one game for football and one (maybe two) for volleyball 6+ months before their seasons started. Before you start tossing around that the timing was the "real kicker", tell me how many times in the last decade NDSU has had a completed schedules before that date in those sports? Yet somehow that weak excuse is the only thing that any FargoU fans have actually come up with to "prove" that UND did "everything in their power" to torpedo NDSU's D-1 move. I don't know what RT did or didn't tell GT beforehand but his feelings got hurt and until his last day on campus he couldn't get over it even though there wasn't a single person left on UND's side he could blame it on.

Upon further review, it looks like NDSU released their football schedule sometime around March 24, so it took all of 6 weeks to find that one more game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The timing? The press conference was held February 10. The basketball teams were still in season. It was one game for football and one (maybe two) for volleyball 6+ months before their seasons started. Before you start tossing around that the timing was the "real kicker", tell me how many times in the last decade NDSU has had a completed schedules before that date in those sports? Yet somehow that weak excuse is the only thing that any FargoU fans have actually come up with to "prove" that UND did "everything in their power" to torpedo NDSU's D-1 move. I don't know what RT did or didn't tell GT beforehand but his feelings got hurt and until his last day on campus he couldn't get over it even though there wasn't a single person left on UND's side he could blame it on.

Upon further review, it looks like NDSU released their football schedule sometime around March 24, so it took all of 6 weeks to find that one more game.

Nobody got their feelings hurt. You made a business decision. NDSU made business decisions which were best for NDSU. Those decisions didnt include UND. JUst like your decision didnt include NDSU.  Its is what it is.

Regardless that everyone from the bad decision was gone your new AD didnt do you any favors with his attitude, negotiating style and demands.

And yes the timing was very unopportune.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

But I thought the Fargodome was not a hard place to play. . I heard from many SIoux fans that UND owned the Fargodome. Why play in the Alerus in front of 12,000 when they can play in their home away from home in front of 19,000? 

NDSU having a better team right now doesn't hurt.  There was a long stretch where UND was better and it wasn't a big deal to play in the dome. 

8 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Bison73-"damn these interwebs. It's like you can't even make up sh!t anymore"

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

Regardless that everyone from the bad decision was gone your new AD didnt do you any favors with his attitude, negotiating style and demands.

Actual facts showed how the first talking point had zero credibility, guess it is time to move on to the next one. More urban legends from deep inside the FargoLoaf.

Is there some sort of "fact" sheet that gets passed around to the FargoU fans as they hop on the bandwagon so they make sure everyone is in line with their talking points? It is so predictable it isn't even funny. Never mind that most of them couldn't tell you that NDSU even had a football team before 2010 and still don't know that there is other sports on campus.

22 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Bison73-"damn these interwebs. It's like you can't even make up sh!t anymore"

Pretty sure he wasn't even following the team until 5+ years later so you know exactly where his "knowledge" on the situation comes from.

40 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Pretty sure he wasn't even following the team until 5+ years later so you know exactly where his "knowledge" on the situation comes from.

I think he played at NDSU in the early 70's.  Usually a very reasonable poster here, but I guess not on this particular topic.