SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

Without a doubt. Just fair to note that there is always a pretty big difference between the Friday night ESPN2 and Saturday afternoon ESPN game every year.

ESPN gets about 2.5 times the viewers than the deuce.  Some TV'show like in bars and restaurants are always on ESPN, but never on the deuce except for requests.

Edited by SiouxVolley

How about start with national recognition, facilities, game day atmosphere, coaching staff, etc. NDSU's football offices, film room, etc are better than most G5 schools. The gameday atmosphere at most G5 schools is more like most of the FCS than like NDSU's. Ask the ESPN annoucers that have done games in the Fargodome and at a MAC school and ask which atmosphere is better. 

ha comparing the bison to only MAC teams? I would tread lightly on the better than most of the G5 comments. Your fanbase may get bored with the unimportant bowl games

Speaking of asking ESPN. I guess they have noticed some changes at NDSU football games:

"The ESPN rep said, unfortunately they noticed the same thing as they walked around, and said they have followed the team for years and they have noticed an increase in poor behavior by Bison fans towards the opposing team's fans,

Speaking of asking ESPN. I guess they have noticed some changes at NDSU football games:

Yet other UNI fans tweeted about how well they were treated by Bison fans at the game this weekend. Perhaps the UNI fan that was treated badly instigated it with bad behavior of there own? I think I may have heard of some Gopher hockey fans being treated poorly by UND hockey fans in the past. Hard to beleive you could find an unhappy fan of a losing team. 

• Upvote 1

Yet other UNI fans tweeted about how well they were treated by Bison fans at the game this weekend. Perhaps the UNI fan that was treated badly instigated it with bad behavior of there own? I think I may have heard of some Gopher hockey fans being treated poorly by UND hockey fans in the past. Hard to beleive you could find an unhappy fan of a losing team. 

Richards in every fanbase.

• Upvote 1

While I won't disagree with your main point, this story was originated with a ndsu fan not a UNI fan. One of the Grizzly fans from AGS also had quite a story about how he was treated quite poorly by a handful of people he didn't know. 

While I won't disagree with your main point, this story was originated with a ndsu fan not a UNI fan. One of the Grizzly fans from AGS also had quite a story about how he was treated quite poorly by a handful of people he didn't know. 

And I am sure there were some NDSU fans that were treated poorly in Missoula this year. Like SiouxRube said, there are Richards in all fan bases. I wish it didn't happen, but it does. I didn't hear about any major problems at the NDSU/UND FB game this year. From all reports things went rather well. But I am sure yiu could find a couple of fans that had a bad experience. 

And I am sure there were some NDSU fans that were treated poorly in Missoula this year. Like SiouxRube said, there are Richards in all fan bases. I wish it didn't happen, but it does. I didn't hear about any major problems at the NDSU/UND FB game this year. From all reports things went rather well. But I am sure yiu could find a couple of fans that had a bad experience. 

no issues from me from when i went down for the game.

• Upvote 1

I guess I haven't heard the specific story, but when I was at the NDSU/USD game (in my sioux shirt) I got plenty of sioux suck !@#$ jeers, but its all in good fun. Nothing wrong with a little ribbing. I think some people tend to get too sensitive, especially when their team loses. And yes it happens at UND too. I remember being in college around 10 years ago and seeing people yelling some pretty rude things to a guy wearing gopher gear, who was with his little girl (maybe around 4)  ..... every fan base has some terrible fans.

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I had a mixed experience but expected it. We had plenty of folks from both schools stop by our tailgate and everyone got along just fine with lots of good conversations.  Most people were indifferent but the group tailgating next to us were incredibly inconsiderate and during the game there were two separate instances of fans that drank too much coming up to our group (that clearly included ndsu fans) in the concourse trying to start something. The second guy ended up having to talk to security for a while. Again overall nothing I didn't expect. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

That's fine and dandy and all. ESPN reps never said there isn't bad apples in every batch.

ESPN has noticed an increase in those bad apples among Bison fans recently.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I guess I haven't heard the specific story, but when I was at the NDSU/USD game (in my sioux shirt) I got plenty of sioux suck !@#$ jeers, but its all in good fun. Nothing wrong with a little ribbing. I think some people tend to get too sensitive, especially when their team loses. And yes it happens at UND too. I remember being in college around 10 years ago and seeing people yelling some pretty rude things to a guy wearing gopher gear, who was with his little girl (maybe around 4)  ..... every fan base has some terrible fans.

Was this guy on a house porch near the med school by any chance?

9 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I'm sure there were some bad experiences in Missoula.  The only data point I have is 4 friends of mine that are Bison fans did go to Missoula and told me that they had a great time and were treated great by the people there.

I think this is going to become a real trend-go to a FCS school, establish yourself and then have the big boys come get you.

This is especially true when more money is involved and I do see the day that the BIG 25 or so will leave the NCAA and start their own super conference AND pay whatever they want for players.

Re: Fanbases

Personal worst experiences?

After sweeping UMD in Duluth about a decade ago: Drunk 'doggies chirping my group on the walk to Grandma's after having gotten swept.  :huh:

After a tie (lost prior night) at SCSU: Fans in my face saying how overrated UND is ... did I mention UND went on to win the 2000 title. 

Best experience?

Mankato: After a Saturday win a fan walks up to me puts his hand out and say, "Heck of a good team you folks have there." (Memorable.) 

Missoula  was great. People were amazing. We would be walking down the street and people would stop us and ask if we were being treated alright. Were we having a good time. Was there any thing we needed? We were invited to a bunch of tailgates. One group of grizz fans that we hosted last year at our tailgate rented a party bus and took us on a tour of some breweries and the grizz football stadium.

After the game we had dinner and went to an ice cream place. The two lines were pretty long so we ended up talking to a bunch of folks about the game and about our stay in there town. When we ordered our ice cream and tried to pay they said it was already paid for.  Only other place Ive been where the fans were as friendly was Bozeman. 

Great experience.

• Upvote 1