SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

Uh, there's a 13-0 NFL team right now. I'm pretty sure their QB has the inside track to the MVP. I didn't like his style in college; I tolerate his style in the pros; he's post Matt Stafford, and I'm pretty sure he's out of the SEC. 

So I missed him... either way not a lot of SEC QBs in the NFL relative to other positions. 

What happens with current USD associate head coach/offensive coordinator Wes Beschorner?  As vince mentioned he was kind of the head coach in waiting and a USD alum.  Are the dollars there to try and find room for someone like him on our staff?  I am guessing if he doesn't stay at USD, he gets snatched up by a local college.  Have heard some good things about him.   

does he know anything about basketball?

• Upvote 3

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Had to get through recruiting weekend.  Wish I could say I was surprised.   <a href="https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS">https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS</a></p>&mdash; SiouxFootballInsider (@SiouxFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball/status/676455835992649728">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But wait, there's more....

Nielsen held a staff meeting 2 weekends ago and told his staff not to worry about or listen to the USD rumors because they simply weren't true.  Told them to continue recruiting as usual and said he was leaving town to go watch WIU play hoops at Iowa, who they played on December 7th.  He made it clear to them that he was NOT hitting the road to interview in Vermilion.

Then he hopped into the car and headed to Vermilion for the interview. 

After that, he expressed interest in the job in Carbondale.

He also looked into the Concordia - St. Paul HC/AD job.

Bob is "fast".  Real fast.

The guy is a POS.  Feel bad for the WIU staff and their players.  But I am excited to host Bob next season at The Alerus.

EDIT:  Can anyone help a guy how to figure out the proper way to embed a tweet!  Asking for a friend... ;)

Doesn't sound like a real great guy.  They can have him.

I did some digging to shed light on our qb discussion.

By conference Starting NFL QBs

PAC 12 - 5 - 15%

SEC - 5 - 15%

B1G - 5 - 15%

ACC - 6 -18.7%

Big 12 - 3 - 9%

Other - 8 - 32%

Compare that to the overall percentage of players by each conference

PAC 12 - 18.3%

SEC - 22.1%

B1G - 16%

ACC - 17.1%

Big 12 - 13.2%

why play for the bison over another G5 team? They have proven nothing at the FBS level because they have not played a full season. The bison are at the top of the FCS and therefore can get the best recruits at that level and sometime steal some good G5 level recruits. How do they not lose their advantage if they move up?

Do you really doubt that NDSU ( or UND and any other FCS school) would get more G5 level recruits as a G5 program than they're currently getting in FCS? That just doesn't make any sense.

There are lots of reasons for NDSU to stay at the FCS level, but losing their recruiting advantage isn't one of them.

I did some digging to shed light on our qb discussion.

By conference Starting NFL QBs

PAC 12 - 5 - 15%

SEC - 5 - 15%

B1G - 5 - 15%

ACC - 6 -18.7%

Big 12 - 3 - 9%

Other - 8 - 32%

Compare that to the overall percentage of players by each conference

PAC 12 - 18.3%

SEC - 22.1%

B1G - 16%

ACC - 17.1%

Big 12 - 13.2%

yeah I get that, and it's not inherently incorrect, but this isn't apples to apples. You're dividing by 64 to 96 ish vs dividing by like 1700. It's just way more highly variable in the first case. I generally throw out comparisons of percentages if one of them is small denominator.

yeah I get that, and it's not inherently incorrect, but this isn't apples to apples. You're dividing by 64 to 96 ish vs dividing by like 1700. It's just way more highly variable in the first case. I generally throw out comparisons of percentages if one of them is small denominator.

It's just showing that the SEC is the lead dog by a good margin in overall players and very average with QBs.

Do you really doubt that NDSU ( or UND and any other FCS school) would get more G5 level recruits as a G5 program than they're currently getting in FCS? That just doesn't make any sense.

There are lots of reasons for NDSU to stay at the FCS level, but losing their recruiting advantage isn't one of them.

Isn't the company line that going to NDSU is better than a G5 school because you can actually play for a championship?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Had to get through recruiting weekend.  Wish I could say I was surprised.   <a href="https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS">https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS</a></p>&mdash; SiouxFootballInsider (@SiouxFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball/status/676455835992649728">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But wait, there's more....

Nielsen held a staff meeting 2 weekends ago and told his staff not to worry about or listen to the USD rumors because they simply weren't true.  Told them to continue recruiting as usual and said he was leaving town to go watch WIU play hoops at Iowa, who they played on December 7th.  He made it clear to them that he was NOT hitting the road to interview in Vermilion.

Then he hopped into the car and headed to Vermilion for the interview.

After that, he expressed interest in the job in Carbondale.

He also looked into the Concordia - St. Paul HC/AD job.

Bob is "fast".  Real fast.

The guy is a POS.  Feel bad for the WIU staff and their players.  But I am excited to host Bob next season at The Alerus.

EDIT:  Can anyone help a guy how to figure out the proper way to embed a tweet!  Asking for a friend... ;)

Sounds to me like the jilted school has sour grapes over losing their coach.  I heard that things went down differently than what is being posted here.  Either way, in this day and age of instant communication these coaching deals are never pretty.  Rumors are flying rampant, what do you expect the guy to say?  "Yep, I'm trying to get a job somewhere else, if it doesn't work out and I stay here it doesn't change anything, right?"  Anybody in this situation has to carefully navigate these waters but it has come to the point that every coach looking to make a move has to deny, deny, deny.

Instead of WIU getting upset about this they should be asking themselves why the reigning MVFC Coach of the Year who took there school to the playoffs this season felt the need to leave Western for greener pastures.  Something is definitely not right at WIU and they should evaluate what they need to do to make their athletic department more attractive.  For USD, obviously we are doing something right as far as our commitment level in order for a head coach to leave a conference school to come here.

Sounds to me like the jilted school has sour grapes over losing their coach.  I heard that things went down differently than what is being posted here.  Either way, in this day and age of instant communication these coaching deals are never pretty.  Rumors are flying rampant, what do you expect the guy to say?  "Yep, I'm trying to get a job somewhere else, if it doesn't work out and I stay here it doesn't change anything, right?"  Anybody in this situation has to carefully navigate these waters but it has come to the point that every coach looking to make a move has to deny, deny, deny.

Instead of WIU getting upset about this they should be asking themselves why the reigning MVFC Coach of the Year who took there school to the playoffs this season felt the need to leave Western for greener pastures.  Something is definitely not right at WIU and they should evaluate what they need to do to make their athletic department more attractive.  For USD, obviously we are doing something right as far as our commitment level in order for a head coach to leave a conference school to come here.

You need to get better sources.  You obviously have not heard any stories about how he operates.  

Good luck.  Hopefully, you aren't starting your search over again in 3 years.  

Edited by UND1983

He had plenty of quality losses at WIU.  I don't know what other questions they need answered.

He probably didn't have to say anything to the coaches or the players if he was looking for another job.  It would make me very suspicious of his communication going forward if I was a player or coach on his staff.  

• Upvote 2

Wow, the hate from many of you guys for this coach is palpable.  I'm trying to figure out what he did to you.  I know he was at UMD but his success there was pretty much after we were both gone from D2.  Must be because you felt you should have made the playoffs over WIU.  The committee didn't think you deserved it, I happen to agree with them.  The one time you guys were on the big stage this season you let the Bison slap you around.  WIU earned their way in by winning games in the best FCS conference, beating a good SDSU team the last week of the season, and backed up the committee's decision by winning their first round game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

Make sure to have Bob negotiate the staff's car contract with the local dealership.  He knows the language.  

Wow, the hate from many of you guys for this coach is palpable.  I'm trying to figure out what he did to you.  I know he was at UMD but his success there was pretty much after we were both gone from D2.  Must be because you felt you should have made the playoffs over WIU.  The committee didn't think you deserved it, I happen to agree with them.  The one time you guys were on the big stage this season you let the Bison slap you around.  WIU earned their way in by winning games in the best FCS conference, beating a good SDSU team the last week of the season, and backed up the committee's decision by winning their first round game.

I happen to think you don't know what your talking about.  But to each their own.  

See you in Sept.

• Upvote 3

I have nothing against you or USD (except for leaving the Big Sky at the Alter), but I'm curious how you heard that things went down?  I stand by my source and story here.

We disagree on how to handle this situation with your players and staff I guess.  Especially the staff.

By the way, the South Dakota "one year contracts" are perfect for your head football coach.  It's probably why it was so appealing to him in the first place.

Best of luck with Bob.  See you in 9 months in Grand Forks! :p

• Upvote 1

Since we're being so objective, can't you at least recognize that Bob is shady at best and that we arent pulling all of this out of thin air?  Nobody here has or has had a beef with USD.

And for the record, I personally have always specifically respected your contributions here in the past.

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, you're excited you got a quality football coach. Congrats. I, for one, am looking forward to playing you guys next fall just as a payback for not making the playoffs. Nothing to do with USD, everything to do with Nielson. Also, we may have some Big Sky homerism here, but the MVFC stuff stinks, you should get that checked. Beating Dayton? Not impressive. If you're going to pull the best conference in the nation stuff, don't talk about the mid-level teams beating PFL teams.

• Upvote 1

That's why I am confused.  I don't know why you guys think he is shady.  Look around and you can see coaching change after coaching change across the country where coaches had to deny they were looking before they ultimately left for another position.  There was a great conversation about this on the radio last week (I believe it was Mike & Mike).  The consensus was that these coaches not only have to lie about if they are leaving but should lie.  Admitting you are looking around is foolish.  It will be used against you in recruiting for years on after.  The spectre of you admitting you were looking around will be brought up in every living room you walk into.  I suppose he told his staff what he did because he wanted them to keep recruiting because he wasn't sure he was leaving.  We'll see how many of them will follow him to USD I guess, that should tell us something.

As for the MVFC merry go round of beatdowns.  Yep that happens.  USD got thumped by WIU, but beats NDSU, who thumps WIU and SDSU.  USD loses a nailbiter to SDSU.  WIU wins a tough one with SDSU.  Go figure.

All those quality losses were pretty impressive eh?

• Upvote 1

That's why I am confused.  I don't know why you guys think he is shady.  Look around and you can see coaching change after coaching change across the country where coaches had to deny they were looking before they ultimately left for another position.  There was a great conversation about this on the radio last week (I believe it was Mike & Mike).  The consensus was that these coaches not only have to lie about if they are leaving but should lie.  Admitting you are looking around is foolish.  It will be used against you in recruiting for years on after.  The spectre of you admitting you were looking around will be brought up in every living room you walk into.  I suppose he told his staff what he did because he wanted them to keep recruiting because he wasn't sure he was leaving.  We'll see how many of them will follow him to USD I guess, that should tell us something.

As for the MVFC merry go round of beatdowns.  Yep that happens.  USD got thumped by WIU, but beats NDSU, who thumps WIU and SDSU.  USD loses a nailbiter to SDSU.  WIU wins a tough one with SDSU.  Go figure.

Calling a team meeting to lie to the players is a little different.  Also, one has to question the reports of him not being honest with his staff.

To each their own.  I'm sure he will do fine there.  

From what I have heard he called the meeting and told them a decision was not made, left the subject pretty open.

The place I am hearing the reports you guys are referencing all come out of WIU.  What do you really expect from that source?  Of course they are upset and angry.  I wouldn't expect them to send out tweets of congratulations.

With the way Joe Glenn cleaned up  the football program after Ed Meierkort was let go, I would be shocked if USD would go out and hire somebody of low moral character.  In fact, I doubt Joe would allow that, and yes, he does have that kind of pull here.