SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

I haven't looked it up, but I'd venture to guess the GoDaddy.com Bowl gets more viewers than the FCS championship game.  So I guess it's all about how you want to measure relevance.  A drawback for ndsu is they would never win another national championship if they made the move to FBS.

About 1.4M viewers each, last season.   

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/01/15/reviewing-the-2014-15-bowl-season-highest-bowl-game-prices-attendances-and-tv-ratings/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/01/unc-louisville-ratings-espn-basketball-epl-nbcsn-most-watched-fcs-college-football-championship-espn/

Edited by Shawn-O

Some people are speculating that Nielson moved from Western Illinois to South Dakota because of upcoming changes at WIU that may involve moving down to Division II for budgetary reasons. That would open up a spot in the MVFC/Summit League. And that would probably open up the debate within UND's fan base on if we should make the move so we are in the same league as the other Dakota schools.

If this goes down, it will set off a possible domino effect in intercollegiate athletics in the Upper Midwest and Northern Plains.

Some people are speculating that Nielson moved from Western Illinois to South Dakota because of upcoming changes at WIU that may involve moving down to Division II for budgetary reasons. That would open up a spot in the MVFC/Summit League. And that would probably open up the debate within UND's fan base on if we should make the move so we are in the same league as the other Dakota schools.

If this goes down, it will set off a possible domino effect in intercollegiate athletics in the Upper Midwest and Northern Plains.

I've seen this claimed but not substantiated anywhere.

Are we sure we can afford it?  Don't forget the goose that lays the golden eggs, the straw that stirs the drink...:silly:

What happens with current USD associate head coach/offensive coordinator Wes Beschorner?  As vince mentioned he was kind of the head coach in waiting and a USD alum.  Are the dollars there to try and find room for someone like him on our staff?  I am guessing if he doesn't stay at USD, he gets snatched up by a local college.  Have heard some good things about him.   

And Greg McElroy.

Even Blake Sims, who set the single season record for yards thrown last season and had 28 TD's and was named SEC championship game MVP.

They aren't even backups in the NFL. Look at how good the players around them were, it's insane. The SEC hasn't had much in the way of QBs since Matt Stafford. It's really strange when you look at how good every other position is in that conference. 

• Upvote 1

They aren't even backups in the NFL. Look at how good the players around them were, it's insane. The SEC hasn't had much in the way of QBs since Matt Stafford. It's really strange when you look at how good every other position is in that conference. 

mccarron just played yesterday. Cincy backup or was he already accounted for?

Edited by JohnboyND7

I said it was speculation. But it is also worth watching. Nielson just made a lateral move within the same conference. That usually doesn't happen without some extenuating circumstances involved.

I agree there's extenuating circumstances...figuring out what those are is the tricky part.

You referred to their QB situation as a joke under Saban.  Clearly it hasn't been.

The good "NFL QB's" debate is a whole different discussion.

You dont have to be good in the NFL to be a good college QB.

Edited by UNDvince97-01

You referred to their QB situation as a joke under Saban.  Clearly it hasn't been.

The good "NFL QB's" debate is a whole different discussion.

You dont have to be good in the NFL to be a good college QB.

Their QB play was the only liability they've had under Saban. As an LSU fan I watch a lot of SEC football every year and it's amazing how poor the QB is in that conference.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Had to get through recruiting weekend.  Wish I could say I was surprised.   <a href="https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS">https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS</a></p>&mdash; SiouxFootballInsider (@SiouxFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball/status/676455835992649728">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But wait, there's more....

Nielsen held a staff meeting 2 weekends ago and told his staff not to worry about or listen to the USD rumors because they simply weren't true.  Told them to continue recruiting as usual and said he was leaving town to go watch WIU play hoops at Iowa, who they played on December 7th.  He made it clear to them that he was NOT hitting the road to interview in Vermilion.

Then he hopped into the car and headed to Vermilion for the interview. 

After that, he expressed interest in the job in Carbondale.

He also looked into the Concordia - St. Paul HC/AD job.

Bob is "fast".  Real fast.

The guy is a POS.  Feel bad for the WIU staff and their players.  But I am excited to host Bob next season at The Alerus.

EDIT:  Can anyone help a guy how to figure out the proper way to embed a tweet!  Asking for a friend... ;)

Edited by UNDvince97-01

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Had to get through recruiting weekend.  Wish I could say I was surprised.   <a href="https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS">https://t.co/wkY12cOEhS</a></p>&mdash; SiouxFootballInsider (@SiouxFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball/status/676455835992649728">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But wait, there's more....

Nielsen held a staff meeting 2 weekends ago and told his staff not to worry about or listen to the USD rumors because they simply weren't true.  Told them to continue recruiting as usual and said he was leaving town to go watch WIU play hoops at Iowa, who they played on December 7th.  He made it clear to them that he was NOT hitting the road to interview in Vermilion.

Then he hopped into the car and headed to Vermilion for the interview. 

After that, he expressed interest in the job in Carbondale.

He also looked into the Concordia - St. Paul HC/AD job.

Bob is "fast".  Real fast.

The guy is a POS.  Feel bad for the WIU staff and their players.  But I am excited to host Bob next season at The Alerus.

Bubba > Bobba 

• Upvote 1

Their QB play was the only liability they've had under Saban. As an LSU fan I watch a lot of SEC football every year and it's amazing how poor the QB is in that conference.

Their defense has been a liability in their big game losses. Ask Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer.:)

Dont ask Les Miles, he and his offenses will probably have a different answer.:0:lol:

Uh, there's a 13-0 NFL team right now. I'm pretty sure their QB has the inside track to the MVP. I didn't like his style in college; I tolerate his style in the pros; he's post Matt Stafford, and I'm pretty sure he's out of the SEC.