SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

From what I have heard he called the meeting and told them a decision was not made, left the subject pretty open.

The place I am hearing the reports you guys are referencing all come out of WIU.  What do you really expect from that source?  Of course they are upset and angry.  I wouldn't expect them to send out tweets of congratulations.

With the way Joe Glenn cleaned up  the football program after Ed Meierkort was let go, I would be shocked if USD would go out and hire somebody of low moral character.  In fact, I doubt Joe would allow that, and yes, he does have that kind of pull here.

define "cleaned up"...you guys have 12 wins in the last three years and your on your third coach in four years???

There is a big difference in some of the players that are on campus now as opposed to when Ed was coach.  Joe didn't tolerate any bs and there were players who were sent packing or faced discipline when they had issues on campus.  Joe has also put together a good foundation of players to win in this conference, he just isn't going to see the fruits of his labor.  I can tell you this team now is built much much more like a MVFC team than when Joe first got here.  Much bigger and more physical.  No way any of Ed's teams would have been able to go into the FargoDaome and go toe to toe with NDSU.  USD was able to do that last year.  Still, the physical changes you often see in teams don't always translate into wins and that has kinda been the case here.  We just started to see glimpses of it last year.  There are some very good young players on this team.  This program is much healthier on several fronts now than when Joe took over.  I would not doubt that is one of the things that attracted Nielson.  He doesn't have a rebuild job on his hands here because the cupboard is pretty full right now.  He's got some things to work with right out of the gate.

"NDSU will never play a meaningful game when they move to DI and are playing FCS football.   They are crazy and should stay in DII."

Just saying . . .  lots of people have said stupid things.   "NDSU would be more relevant I FCS than FBS" . . . might just be the next stupid thing.

I think geography is NDSU's (or UND's) downfall in moving up. There is not a g5 conference around here that would take us. Mountain West is the closest or the MAC but that isn't going to happen, so its the SB for conference affiliation.  Could any fan of NDSU or UND name all the schools in the SB without looking it up? It changes almost every year, they are the Great West of the FBS. And NDSU would be more relevant in the FCS than the FBS. What SB teams have been to bowl games in the last 5 years? Oh wait you need to know who is in the SB to guess. What has APP St done since winning FCS titles and beating Michigan? How about Marshall? NDSU's road schedule would be like UND's is in the Big Sky and we know Bison fans hate long distance travel. Would the fanbase approve of never seeing another NC banner in the Fargodome which would be the 4th smallest in the FBS (Charlotte, Idaho, UMASS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_stadiums )? 

Sun_Belt_Conference_all_sports_membershi

I wonder who NDSU's travel partner would be?   Its simple....until there is a g5 playoff, another tier added to the FBS, or an FBS conference closer to home that would accept Dakota teams, just stay put.

• Upvote 1

Wow, the hate from many of you guys for this coach is palpable.  I'm trying to figure out what he did to you.  I know he was at UMD but his success there was pretty much after we were both gone from D2.  Must be because you felt you should have made the playoffs over WIU.  The committee didn't think you deserved it, I happen to agree with them.  The one time you guys were on the big stage this season you let the Bison slap you around.  WIU earned their way in by winning games in the best FCS conference, beating a good SDSU team the last week of the season, and backed up the committee's decision by winning their first round game.

Take notes Bison fans. This is an epic troll! Well done!:lol:

• Upvote 1

That's why I am confused.  I don't know why you guys think he is shady.  Look around and you can see coaching change after coaching change across the country where coaches had to deny they were looking before they ultimately left for another position.  There was a great conversation about this on the radio last week (I believe it was Mike & Mike).  The consensus was that these coaches not only have to lie about if they are leaving but should lie.  Admitting you are looking around is foolish.  It will be used against you in recruiting for years on after.  The spectre of you admitting you were looking around will be brought up in every living room you walk into.  I suppose he told his staff what he did because he wanted them to keep recruiting because he wasn't sure he was leaving.  We'll see how many of them will follow him to USD I guess, that should tell us something.

As for the MVFC merry go round of beatdowns.  Yep that happens.  USD got thumped by WIU, but beats NDSU, who thumps WIU and SDSU.  USD loses a nailbiter to SDSU.  WIU wins a tough one with SDSU.  Go figure.

NDSU also lost to Montana, who beat UND, who beat Wyoming(FBS) and Portland State, who beat North Texas(FBS, wasn't close)   &  #37 Washington State(FBS) . So it's a FCS merry go round of beating each other.

NDSU also beat SDSU worse, SDSU hung on against a 0-12 Kansas team, and lost to Montana.

• Upvote 1

I'd probably give that honor to Boise State.

From the Big Sky to finishing undefeated twice in the last 9 years (2006, 2009) only to be snubbed a chance at a NC because of being a WAC team, they are a very successful FCS-FBS team.

Edited by darell1976

I'd probably give that honor to Boise State.

the very reason I chose "a" instead of "the"

What made them successful in the FBS compared to 2 NC in the FCS? 

4 top 25 final finishes including a top 10.

9-2 modernbowl record. They've done well for themselves.

If NDSU and their fans want to be Marshall 2.0 knock themselves out.............lots of FBS teams can potentially get to that stage but not any higher. NDSU can join that group. 1 top 10 in how many years? Yipee! 

Don't see where the allure in that is. 

If NDSU and their fans want to be Marshall 2.0 knock themselves out.............lots of FBS teams can potentially get to that stage but not any higher. NDSU can join that group. 1 top 10 in how many years? Yipee! 

Average uninformed Joe watching ESPN sees:

Marshall is ranked in the top 20 - "Whoa, they're pretty legit this year."

NDSU has won it's 5th straight FCS championship -  "That's cute.  Good for them."

Some want to make sure uninformed Joe thinks they're legit.

if NDSU was told they would definitely be a Marshall rather than a UMASS I think they would have already made it happen.

Yote53... Congratulations on getting a good coach. I know I will get some negative reps for this, but Nielson is a very good coach. 2 national championships in 3 years and turning WIU into a winning team proves that. There must be a reason or reasons that he wanted out of Macomb, whether it's an impending downgrade of their program or a personal disagreement with administration, he obviously wanted to leave WIU. Realizing there are a lot of upset people on this board who take WIU's selection to the playoffs over UND personally, I believe there were a couple other teams that should have also been left home before UND, but the NCAA has a vendetta against the former Sioux and Idaho State's AD has personal issues with UND, preventing UND from getting the votes to receive the recognition they deserve. Instead, New Hampshire and Eastern Illinois got support and UND was left out. A (hopefully) final F U to UND from the NCAA.

Anyway, back to Nielson, USD got a good coach who will give the Coyotes a decent chance to be competitive in the MVFC over the next few seasons. Hope he is as good a fit for you as Coach Schweigert is for UND. And yes, it certainly appears Coach Glenn did take over a mess and has cleaned up the discipline of the program and left it in good shape for Nielson. (For those who forgot Meierkort's legacy, think back to the locker room destruction at the Alerus following the final game in the Great West)

Yote53... Congratulations on getting a good coach. I know I will get some negative reps for this, but Nielson is a very good coach. 2 national championships in 3 years and turning WIU into a winning team proves that. There must be a reason or reasons that he wanted out of Macomb, whether it's an impending downgrade of their program or a personal disagreement with administration, he obviously wanted to leave WIU. Realizing there are a lot of upset people on this board who take WIU's selection to the playoffs over UND personally, I believe there were a couple other teams that should have also been left home before UND, but the NCAA has a vendetta against the former Sioux and Idaho State's AD has personal issues with UND, preventing UND from getting the votes to receive the recognition they deserve. Instead, New Hampshire and Eastern Illinois got support and UND was left out. A (hopefully) final F U to UND from the NCAA.

Anyway, back to Nielson, USD got a good coach who will give the Coyotes a decent chance to be competitive in the MVFC over the next few seasons. Hope he is as good a fit for you as Coach Schweigert is for UND. And yes, it certainly appears Coach Glenn did take over a mess and has cleaned up the discipline of the program and left it in good shape for Nielson. (For those who forgot Meierkort's legacy, think back to the locker room destruction at the Alerus following the final game in the Great West)

Sorry but I doubt USD is Bobbas dream job like UND is for Bubba. You can't fake that level of passion.

Our comments on Nielson have nothing to do with WIU or the playoffs.  He will win games at USD, no doubt.  But the way he operates, according to all sources I have (which are pretty good), is not the best.

Our comments on Nielson have nothing to do with WIU or the playoffs.  He will win games at USD, no doubt.  But the way he operates, according to all sources I have (which are pretty good), is not the best.

Heard similar stuff.

Edited by Hambone