SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

16,400, over 2,500 short of capacity for a quarterfinal game. Apparently winning solves attendance issues until you do it too much...

Next week will be full. If NDSU fans don't show up, SDSU will fill the dome. Not how I would like it filled, but it will be filled.

5 hours ago, bang said:

I do believe that NDSU this year could’ve won C-USA for sure and possibly the sun belt and or MAC. Yet, I don’t believe even as good as they’re that they’d be a top 25 team. They’re really close though. 

Now factor in the additional scholarships they would get in the FBS. Its really not a big stretch considering weve already beaten numerous FBS teams already without the additional schollies.

7 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

The FCS playoff games have been drawing higher ratings than the Frozen Four for quite some time now. 

I'm a big football and hockey fan both and the NFL outdraws/generates revenue way more than NHL buy a huge margin so I'm not sure anybody should really be surprised by this.  Let's face it, while hockey may be bigger around the world than American football, that sure as hell ain't the case here in the states. 

39 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Now factor in the additional scholarships they would get in the FBS. Its really not a big stretch considering weve already beaten numerous FBS teams already without the additional schollies.

Don't believe this logic. There are players who have offers from G5 or lower FBS schools that choose FCS as they bieve they have a better chance of winning chamlionships or more playing time. No guarentee if NDSU was G5 with extra schollies that they be any better, more likely to be worse

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Don't believe this logic. There are players who have offers from G5 or lower FBS schools that choose FCS as they bieve they have a better chance of winning chamlionships or more playing time. No guarentee if NDSU was G5 with extra schollies that they be any better, more likely to be worse

Carson Wentz and who else?  G5 means a whole scholarship plus the COE.  That normally beats out an FCS offer.

43 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Why would they be more likely to be worse when the schollies give you more depth.  Fact is we are pretty good now. Dont see how adding depth will make us worse.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, bison73 said:

Why would they be more likely to be worse when the schollies give you more depth.  Fact is we are pretty good now. Dont see how adding depth will make us worse.

Recruits like to play for championship programs.  NDSU has a great niche carved out for kids who want to play for championship programs.  That allure changes when NDSU turns into a G5 team playing for a chance to play in a low level bowl, and zero shot at a championship.  I could see the fans become disengaged at that point as well.  Playoffs > one-off bowl game.  That said, NDSU could turn into the next Boise State.  Don't really see that happening though.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Recruits like to play for championship programs.  NDSU has a great niche carved out for kids who want to play for championship programs.  That allure changes when NDSU turns into a G5 team playing for a chance to play in a low level bowl, and zero shot at a championship.  I could see the fans become disengaged at that point as well.  Playoffs > one-off bowl game.  That said, NDSU could turn into the next Boise State.  Don't really see that happening though.

Very good points. Playing for championship as opposed to bowl games is a big topic of concern amongst  some of our fan base. I personally dont care for the low level bowl games. I do love the playoff season.

BTW---USA has NDSU at # 20 in all of college football.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If NDSU beats the Jacks I really hope EWU is waiting for them in Frisco. 

I honestly don't think anyone is going to touch the Bison. SDSU is probably the only team with half a chance. They ground Colgate into the ground on Saturday. It was impressive. 

4 hours ago, bison73 said:

Very good points. Playing for championship as opposed to bowl games is a big topic of concern amongst  some of our fan base. I personally dont care for the low level bowl games. I do love the playoff season.

I am not seeing them in this poll. Is this the one you're talking about? 

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2018/15/

18 hours ago, bison73 said:

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

No it was Sagarin that was in USA today.

Sagarin is a computer algorithm and it isn't done by USA Today, they just host the listing on their site. It has admitted issues when connecting and comparing FCS/FBS teams as there are so few games between the teams (a little over 100 this year) and trying to tie together 255 teams.