SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Will Klieman get fired along with any coaches leaving? Wouldn't recruiting become a potential conflict of interest starting tomorrow morning?

Yeah, if NDSU recruits power fives, you would think they would be on the radar for K State as well. By the way, I think Klieman could do better than Bohl has done because he seems more of a genuine person who can connect with recruits and their families.

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Will Klieman get fired along with any coaches leaving? Wouldn't recruiting become a potential conflict of interest starting tomorrow morning?

Yeah. If I were Entz and was taking over, I would tell Klieman to stay in Kansas Wednesday. I am sure Klieman will try to get a couple of the committed kids to come to KSU. Particularly the LB from Illinois that turned down a K-State offer and the 5A defensive player of the year from Kansas. A very large D-tackle that looks like he is ready to play today. 

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

In all seriousness, SU should send him on his way, he just took another job.  I heard Bohl and Klieman had to be physically seperated in the locker room, I think in Frisco, when Bohl was hired at WY but stayed on.  

Recruiting and signing date......awkward!!

I know that the Bohl and SU split was not friendly and he is still bitter at the school.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, bison73 said:

Very good points. Playing for championship as opposed to bowl games is a big topic of concern amongst  some of our fan base. I personally dont care for the low level bowl games. I do love the playoff season.

BTW---USA has NDSU at # 20 in all of college football.

Yup, ranked ahead of Mia-FL, Wis, Mich St, N'Western, Boise St, among others.  Why they haven't moved up by now confounds me, can't imagine UND playing D-2 hockey as a powerhouse for near a decade and staying at that level.  Sooner or later it will happen I guess...

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Klieman took the phone call to accept the job while at practice. KSU gives him $12+ million over the next 5 years and you think they aren't in a hurry to get him working? They have something like 9 commits, dead period starts Monday and early signing day on the 19th. I'm sure he's laser focused... 

This is the best part.  Phone call taken while coaching a drill.  That and you know damn well Gene Taylor knew what time they practiced until yet called anyways...

"Once a Bison...."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I thought his NDSU contract said he can’t recruit the same players at his new school unless they were recruited by the new school before the hire

Still can’t understand this: KU hires Les Miles and KSU hires Klieman. How does this make any sense?

ksu fans are pissed because 1. He is a FCs coach and 2. He is finishing out the season in Fargo

i would be pissed if that was my new coach. On a side note the steaming turd team makers is holding a vigil outside Kliemans house in Fargo. So sorry for their loss.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I know that the Bohl and SU split was not friendly and he is still bitter at the school.

How jealous is Bohl right now? Klieman stays 4 more years at NDSU and gets offered a P5 job with a decent football history where as Bohl got a bottom barrel G5 team. He has got to be pissed for jumping on the first offer. Could this have been Bohl instead of Klieman?

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

In all seriousness, SU should send him on his way, he just took another job.  I heard Bohl and Klieman had to be physically seperated in the locker room, I think in Frisco, when Bohl was hired at WY but stayed on.  

Recruiting and signing date......awkward!!

Bohl didn't handle things as well as Klieman. The thing that created hard feelings when Bohl left was he and his coaching staff tried to flip some recruits to Wyoming while the rest of the Bison staff was trying to keep their recruits committed...don't think that will be a factor this time as NDSU and K-State are not competing for the same type of athlete.

56 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

How jealous is Bohl right now? Klieman stays 4 more years at NDSU and gets offered a P5 job with a decent football history where as Bohl got a bottom barrel G5 team. He has got to be pissed for jumping on the first offer. Could this have been Bohl instead of Klieman?

Not with Gene Taylor at K State. Have heard him and Craig aren't exactly friendly anymore.

Coach Klieman stole the media show in flatlander country yesterday, there are fans in Manhattan in awe, and many K. State $$$ alumni not happy.

Past NDSU AD Gene Taylor, now at K. State, offered Klieman the job. A job boosters are saying that other coaches may have not wanted, because of the possibility of some assistant coaches must stay on and past coach Bill Snyder stays on in some capacity $250G/yr, but not as a coach. Also, the pressures of following the past coaches accomplishments. Next few weeks will be very interesting for the little apple fans.

220px-Coach_Bill_Snyder.jpg

Winningest coach at Kansas State

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Klieman took the phone call to accept the job while at practice. KSU gives him $12+ million over the next 5 years and you think they aren't in a hurry to get him working? They have something like 9 commits, dead period starts Monday and early signing day on the 19th. I'm sure he's laser focused... 

Reminds me of 

“they were on the ice!” From a couple of years ago..

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Still can’t understand this: KU hires Les Miles and KSU hires Klieman. How does this make any sense?

ksu fans are pissed because 1. He is a FCs coach and 2. He is finishing out the season in Fargo

i would be pissed if that was my new coach. On a side note the steaming turd team makers is holding a vigil outside Kliemans house in Fargo. So sorry for their loss.

I"ll bet that Klieman at KSU over the next 5 years will be better than Miles at Kansas. 

Miles got canned at LSU as his offense was as creative as UND"s over the past few years. That works at LSU for awhile when you can get great players on D to keep you in games. He does the same O at Kansas and it won't be close-Klieman will have more W's over next 5 years.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, shep said:

I"ll bet that Klieman at KSU over the next 5 years will be better than Miles at Kansas. 

Miles got canned at LSU as his offense was as creative as UND"s over the past few years. That works at LSU for awhile when you can get great players on D to keep you in games. He does the same O at Kansas and it won't be close-Klieman will have more W's over next 5 years.

Agree, just because someone comes from a big time school doesn't mean they will do any better.  At some point all the big time coaches started somewhere down the ladder as well, so whats to say Klieman doesn't follow suit.  He sure knows how to run a professional program, and the fact that you can keep a team focused on winning for that long is quite an attribute, either that or their talent level is so far beyond everyone else.  Either way, it reflects well on Klieman. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, shep said:

He also had amazing talent on O outside of the qb. Jarvis Landry and OBJ as WRs for three years....

The Snyder angle is real and the largest lurking negative for Klieman, but at least it’s out there and not in the shadows. 

Frankly, NDSU losing the S&C guy, as I heard he’s going with, may be just as big news but overlooked. He’s been an unsung hero to that program. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Not sure how they could be all that pissed. NDSU stuffed a football down their throat when they last met. KSU fancies itself a football power but what have they ever really done?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I thought his NDSU contract said he can’t recruit the same players at his new school unless they were recruited by the new school before the hire

Not that there is a ton of overlap, but the limitations are that he can't recruit any player to his new school that the school hasn't had contact with or unless the recruit initiates the contact. Good luck enforcing that.

7 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bohl didn't have his previous AD at a P5 school. GT stuck his neck out big time with the fan base on this one and his history with Klieman is the only reason why. No other AD would have given him an interview with that big of (perceived) jump.

Still can't believe they are keeping him on. He'll be in Manhattan tomorrow for a press conference. Whoever is going with him is working on figuring out how to salvage their new recruiting class while the coaches who are staying/being left behind have their full focus on SDSU and making sure they don't lose a few of their top recruits. Anyone but SDSU or maybe EWU, I would say it wouldn't matter with the team they have this year, but it will be interesting to watch it play out.

Guessing someone on staff gets the nod to replace CK, though I could easily see them finding some loophole to completely ignore state hiring requirements and bring in an outside candidate in short order.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guessing someone on staff gets the nod to replace CK, though I could easily see them finding some loophole to completely ignore state hiring requirements and bring in an outside candidate in short order.

Not positive, but they may be able to name an outsider as "interim" HC during the hiring process and then conveniently hire that person as HC.