SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I still say UND Arrows beats all of the remaining choices.  Too bad one person made the call that Arrows = Native American imagery.

UND arrow 3.jpg

after aLL of the crap names this could have been the BEST

Edited by Fetch

This worries me about what CAN happen if we use RR as a nickname! This proves the potential is there for lawsuits. If you truly care for UND like I do, you will not vote for RR's. You guys that are passionate about RR as the nickname need to quit whining and learn to just let go! 

We must join together and do what's right for the U of ND. Vote no for RR...

Karma sure is a bitch!

you beat me to the punch!  Nicely done.

How is this even "news"?  As I recall...

1. Legal counsel says none of the remaining #newnickname ideas are technically legally unavailable, some are just more available than others

0 retweets2 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

Legal counsel tells #newnickname group "fear of liability of infringement should not be your driver" during trademark conversation

0 retweets1 favorite
    Retweet

Favorite

More

Legal counsel says Roughriders could be done but could be difficult as many similar entities have that trademark #newnickname #und

0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

Legal counsel says other entities trying to use Northstars faced trademark issues from the NHL -- UND's #newnickname search.

0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

General Counsel Jason Jenkins says even though a lot of businesses use the name "Nodak" it doesn't present a trademark issue

0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

More trademark talk with the UND #newnickname committee; "It's very seldom a mark is just unavailable for use."

0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

I had to look at a jobsite at the GFAFB today, when I drove up to the gate above it was written with big letters....

WARRIORS OF THE NORTH!

Now that would have made a great nickname! Anyone questions its meaning we say to proudly represent our military base in Grand Forks!

And here they come,

Your Warriors of the North!

Or

Your University of North Dakota Warriors!

Edited by bigskyvikes

I had to look at a jobsite at the GFAFB today, when I drove up to the gate above it was written with big letters....

WARRIORS OF THE NORTH!

Now that would have made a great nickname! Anyone questions its meaning we say to proudly represent our military base in Grand Forks!

And here they come,

Your Warriors of the North!

Or

Your University of North Dakota Warriors!

I believe I was the 1st to suggest that - I worked out there a lot & if u go to their website they have a pretty cool logo too

Calling what he does "Journalism" is like calling The National Enquirer the United States paper of record.  

Um, he does get news tips and other stuff sent to him. Technically, he's a blogger, but he does get invited to quite a few news making events. 

He does generate news with his slant. I guess I would rather read his site than the Huffpost. I don't have anything against him. 

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

Just some random comments:

I'd say vote for Roughriders, then spend the next few years in copyright lawsuits, etc.  Thus, we would have no nickname for a few more years until they figure out if RR is an option.  And how did NoDaks make the list?  I still am getting questions from friends as to how a derogatory name for North Dakota made the list!!  Talk about being laughed at (yes, it's even worse than Sundogs!)   Anything but NoDaks!!!!

I'd say vote for Roughriders, then spend the next few years in copyright lawsuits, etc.  Thus, we would have no nickname for a few more years until they figure out if RR is an option.  And how did NoDaks make the list?  I still am getting questions from friends as to how a derogatory name for North Dakota made the list!!  Talk about being laughed at (yes, it's even worse than Sundogs!)   Anything but NoDaks!!!!

I remember Tony when he played football at UND - I don't think it will be an issue to get him to name a price for Roughriders. As the story mentions the letter was only informational it did not allude to the name not being available for use by UND. 

• Upvote 1

This is utter nonsense.  You cannot trademark a name and then sue anyone that dares adopt it while using a different logo(s). Otherwise, you wouldn't have MSU-Mankato and Nebraska-Omaha both using the name Mavericks, with different logo designs.  This threat has no legal standing or merit.

• Upvote 2

It has nothing to do with the name.  It's about the logo.  He's trying to make an extra buck off of it.  This is an old letter that has no doubt been run by the lawyers. 

I played with Tony and he is a good guy although you don't get the kind of money he has without looking out for yourself and your pocketbook.

I have no idea if he has a legal leg to stand on but I am sure something could be worked out with him if needed.

This is utter nonsense.  You cannot trademark a name and then sue anyone that dares adopt it while using a different logo(s). Otherwise, you wouldn't have MSU-Mankato and Nebraska-Omaha both using the name Mavericks, with different logo designs.  This threat has no legal standing or merit.

Can't believe people are taking this guy serious! Hello!  He even mentions he just looking to make money! 

So there should be a quota for how many times one person can post on a topic? If people like yababy, Fetch, etc. can rant and rave about how bad having a different nickname is, then I should be able to rebut those arguments. Is that clear?

No you can't rebut those arguments as your rebuttals have been deemed hostile and abusive to those of us who understand, love and respect the Sioux name.  Well of course you do have the freedom of speech even if it is hostile and abusive.  You just can't say those things on this site as Jim Dahl has declared your position hostile and abusive- give the name of his site being Siouxsports and all.  Well I think he is going to let you chose to do so if you wish but you will not be allowed to host any threads until you stop.

Seriously though FS4L, you have to live in this world enough to know that you and a half dozen other players are PERPETUALLY posting rebuttals to every single post out there that challenges the current stead fast campaign to not only eliminate the name but also make sure we have another that is not North Dakota. 

Just a few posters are left on this site who will post any kind of consistent challenge to the current regimes actions.  Fetch, Chewey, I and a couple of others INTERMITTENTLY post for a bit on something where your "team" is on it day and night like it's a job.  Just look at your post numbers.  Frankly you all have posted so much anti Sioux name speak so much so that I think you have chassed away probably a couple thousand passionate Sioux fans from coming to this site.  (I don't know that but it has appeared to be the case over the last 3-4 years).  I have been coming to this site since the beginging in 94 so I am not going anywhere though.-), especially now that Jim has now declared you and your buddies hostile and abusive... Well, hold on, maybe I will have to take a little time off since my good buddy Fetch just called me a girl!! Yikes!!

Edited by yababy8
  • Upvote 2

If "Roughriders" wins in the voting process I wonder how much UND is willing to pay Mr. Sdao to use the logo or name, whichever applies to the situation.  The colors are similar and I would graphic artists would come up with similar designs for logos, so it is likely that somewhere down the line they will have to contend with all of this.  I would guess that the same thing would happen with "Northstars."

Does anyone else see the double-standard of being fine with having to pay these entities, however, there was to my knowledge never a discussion of paying the tribes for use of the Fighting Sioux name?  I am sure a little money could have went a long way to grease the skids to get a vote at Standing Rock.

I'm really not a Fighting Sioux forever guy, but all these names are lame and the process blows. 

• Upvote 1

Seriously though FS4L, you have to live in this world enough to know that you and a half dozen other players are PERPETUALLY posting rebuttals to every single post out there that challenges the current stead fast campaign to not only eliminate the name but also make sure we have another that is not North Dakota

Yeppers.  That is pretty much the point of "retiring the nickname and picking a new one".   What part of that is a mystery to you?

• Upvote 1

No you can't rebut those arguments as your rebuttals have been deemed hostile and abusive to those of us who understand, love and respect the Sioux name.  Well of course you do have the freedom of speech even if it is hostile and abusive.  You just can't say those things on this site as Jim Dahl has declared your position hostile and abusive- give the name of his site being Siouxsports and all.  Well I think he is going to let you chose to do so if you wish but you will not be allowed to host any threads until you stop.

Seriously though FS4L, you have to live in this world enough to know that you and a half dozen other players are PERPETUALLY posting rebuttals to every single post out there that challenges the current stead fast campaign to not only eliminate the name but also make sure we have another that is not North Dakota. 

Just a few posters are left on this site who will post any kind of consistent challenge to the current regimes actions.  Fetch, Chewey, I and a couple of others INTERMITTENTLY post for a bit on something where your "team" is on it day and night like it's a job.  Just look at your post numbers.  Frankly you all have posted so much anti Sioux name speak so much so that I think you have chassed away probably a couple thousand passionate Sioux fans from coming to this site.  (I don't know that but it has appeared to be the case over the last 3-4 years).  I have been coming to this site since the beginging in 94 so I am not going anywhere though.-), especially now that Jim has now declared you and your buddies hostile and abusive... Well, hold on, maybe I will have to take a little time off since my good buddy Fetch just called me a girl!! Yikes!!

Wow, you are accusing me of a lot of "crimes", aren't you?  Too bad you can't prove any of it.

And people think I bloviate on here! :crazy: