SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

It was just another "Fetch rant" 

Wasn"t that kinda personal also especially when I wasn't even really in the conversation - but I don't mind I am now :p

I feel bad for ya baby she was no where near this thread but he/she can more than handle this :silly:

Oh & my boat is a 21 ft SeaRay sundeck I love boating:love:

Edited by Fetch

Do I understand this correctly, that if no nickname reaches 50 percent of the vote, there will be another vote that only students will be participating in?

Another vote, yes.Students only, no. Same constituents vote again if a second vote is needed is how I read the process. 

http://und.edu/news/2015/08/kelley-nickname-vote.cfm

• Upvote 1

I thought I heard on the news that it would be only the students that voted a second time.  I thought that was strange, but someone told me that again today, unless he heard the same news story I heard.  

Edited by tnt

I would tell him the same thing I told Climax-Fisher boosters when they whined and complained about this with regard to Grand Forks Central 20 years ago: I do not care. Get over it.

As long as we don't have the exact same logo(s), there is nothing this guy can do about it.

I would tell him the same thing I told Climax-Fisher boosters when they whined and complained about this with regard to Grand Forks Central 20 years ago: I do not care. Get over it.

As long as we don't have the exact same logo(s), there is nothing this guy can do about it.

Their logo sucks anyway.  We can do much better.

Go Riders!

• Upvote 1

This worries me about what CAN happen if we use RR as a nickname! This proves the potential is there for lawsuits. If you truly care for UND like I do, you will not vote for RR's. You guys that are passionate about RR as the nickname need to quit whining and learn to just let go! 

We must join together and do what's right for the U of ND. Vote no for RR...

Karma sure is a bitch!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This worries me about what CAN happen if we use RR as a nickname! This proves the potential is there for lawsuits. If you truly care for UND like I do, you will not vote for RR's. You guys that are passionate about RR as the nickname need to quit whining and learn to just let go! 

Karma sure is a bitch!

As long as we don't copy their logo(s), they can't stop us from using the name Roughriders. If that was the case, they couldn't use it either because of a certain CFL team that Weston Dressler plays for.

Karma sure is a bitch!

You can find something wrong with EVERY NAME, people need to get over that. 

Why would a UND alumni go after UND for a nickname, something isn't right there. Why doesnt he go after Red River and the Saskatchewan Roughriders to then?

Everything that is going on sounds like a ploy to get us to take sun dogs

Edited by Emerald joker
  • Upvote 1

Looks to me like the guy is offering to license his logo's out. Not sure he can prevent UND from actually adopting Roughriders as a its mascot nor does it appear that is what the intention of what his letter was.

I agree.  The letter was sent in April so I'm sure any possible effects have been properly vetted.  I just think the "Gotcha" nature of the article is ridiculous.

Looks to me like the guy is offering to license his logo's out. Not sure he can prevent UND from actually adopting Roughriders as a its mascot nor does it appear that is what the intention of what his letter was.

I don't either... I would tell them simply to mind their own business.

I already have two local teams called the Sundogs and Roughriders.   The defunct semi-pro hockey team is the Sundogs--(expect a version of a dog mascot if you pick this name.)    If you asked them they would probably sell to UND all the licensing rights lock, stock and barrel.

The local community college is the Yavpai College Roughriders.  (Interesting to note that the college rarely displays "Roughrider" or a roughrider mascot on any of its team names, but almost always goes by Yavapai College.   The Yavapai are the local Indian tribe.

Roughriders Ranked 5th in Pre-Season National Poll

ba4a2cc513396eb2829cf3ec54456ed7.500.jpg

I think Rob Port is taking liberties with his title here. As evidence I can quote from the article itself, "The tone of the letter isn’t very threatening." Which would seem to a contradiction or at least a stark change in intensity of the statement "Hockey Team Warns UND..." 

When your paycheck is based on the number of clicks.....

• Upvote 1