SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Not sure what you and others don't seem to get.  We will always be known as North Dakota.  Always have, always will.  If you aren't a hige fan of the nickname selected, then jsut cheer, purchase merchandise, refer to the teams as, etc, etc, etc as North Dakota.  I think the reasons for not having a nickname have been discussed at length in many threads.  There will be a new nickname  Everyone else has accepted that.  You wanted to be known as "North Dakota".  Wll guess what, you won!!  We already have that name!!  adopting a new nickname does not take away anything from the Fighting Sioux name or from North Dakota.  

For those that want just North Dakota go out to Scheels, or Target, or Walmart and buy up the North Dakota gear because I am sure when a name is picked next month all that stuff will be replaced by the new nickname to get a head start on marketing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kelley appointed a committee its was their job (not Kelley's) to pick and choose what names are narrowed down. Just because your precious North Dakota was dismissed by the committee doesn't mean it was Kelley's fault. The board threw the name out, it was Kelley who gave a little thought of reinstating it which was a mistake as no other name that was gone got reinstated. 5 names, pick one and move on.

You are proving my point!  

Kelley appointed the committee (some good members, a lot of bad members).  If you think I am wrong ask yourself this: how the hell did Sundogs make the list?

Kelley strung the name along because of public outcry, then went against a majority of stakeholders and decided to disallow the name for the vote.  If you don't think there is a majority that support North Dakota ask yourself this: Why is everyone so scared of having it on the ballet?  

Kelley appointed the committee (some good members, a lot of bad members).  If you think I am wrong ask yourself this: how the hell did Sundogs make the list?

Kelley strung the name along because of public outcry, then went against a majority of stakeholders and decided to disallow the name for the vote.  If you don't think there is a majority that support North Dakota ask yourself this: Why is everyone so scared of having it on the ballet?  

Why should it be on the ballet when it was dismissed by the committee? My 2 names were dismissed by the committee and Kelley didn't think of putting it back. When it was dismissed Kelley should have let it be dismissed and not even ponder the thought of putting it back on the ballot.

I, along with many others put forth North Dakota as their choice.  Remember that name that was strung along through the process?  The same name that would more than likely win in a landslide.

I wonder why there are no good names on the list.  Maybe because you are basically saying it was North Dakota or nothing for you and many others.  If you had enough foresight like the rest of the people and realized that was never going to fly whether they said it was an option or not, then that's on you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why should it be on the ballet when it was dismissed by the committee? My 2 names were dismissed by the committee and Kelley didn't think of putting it back. When it was dismissed Kelley should have let it be dismissed and not even ponder the thought of putting it back on the ballot.

It should have been dismissed as an option right from the start of the process, even before the committee was appointed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kelley appointed a committee its was their job (not Kelley's) to pick and choose what names are narrowed down. Just because your precious North Dakota was dismissed by the committee doesn't mean it was Kelley's fault. The board threw the name out, it was Kelley who gave a little thought of reinstating it which was a mistake as no other name that was gone got reinstated. 5 names, pick one and move on.

There are good points to both sides of the argument. First, let take any personal opinion of using North Dakota/No Nickname. Whether or not you do or do not like that is irrelevant to this conversation.

Yes, Kelley appointed a committee.

Yes, Kelly is the President. The President needs to show leadership, and could override the committee if he wanted. Ultimately, the buck stops with him.

Yes, the entire process was a circus, and executed poorly. If UND/No Nickname was not going to be an option, it should have been discussed from the beginning and scratched. Instead the waffled back and forth more than Brett Favre. Again personal preference aside, this was a highly popular option and it was pretty poor of the committee and the President to not allow the voters to have the option they wanted. Basically a "We know better than you" type of thing.

Yes, Sundogs sucks and it is ridiculous that it is in the top 5. Plenty of option that would have been better.

Yes, these options are all pretty pathetic.

No, nothing is going to put North Dakota back on the table, or bring back Fighting Sioux (officially)

GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 1

I wonder why there are no good names on the list.  Maybe because you are basically saying it was North Dakota or nothing for you and many others.  If you had enough foresight like the rest of the people and realized that was never going to fly whether they said it was an option or not, then that's on you.

foresight like the current president? The only foresight he had in this process was the fact that the North Dakota option was going to win, so he pulled the plug.

I will stick with the rest of us non-visionary hayseeds that wanted no nickname, especially considering the crap options that were pushed on us.  The two votes in this household will probably refrain from voting. 

• Downvote 1

foresight like the current president? The only foresight he had in this process was the fact that the North Dakota option was going to win, so he pulled the plug.

I will stick with the rest of us non-visionary hayseeds that wanted no nickname, especially considering the crap options that were pushed on us.  The two votes in this household will probably refrain from voting. 

That's fine, but don't complain about there being no nickname options when only one would have been satisfactory in your eyes anyway. 

Is it just me or does it seems the idea and push for Sun Dogs is by left leaning academic and PC types? Sorry, I don't mean to get political and offend anyone of any political stripes but that was my impression this morning when I read a mailbag letter in today's Herald by a former professor singing the virtues of Sun Dogs. Is there some sort of an agenda with that name?

Is it just me or does it seems the idea and push for Sun Dogs is by left leaning academic and PC types? Sorry, I don't mean to get political and offend anyone of any political stripes but that was my impression this morning when I read a mailbag letter in today's Herald by a former professor singing the virtues of Sun Dogs. Is there some sort of an agenda with that name?

Uh ... new here?

Sundogs was first rolled out by the most PC group on campus, BRIDGES, i.e. the group that drove the name change in the first place. 

The only reason the Sundogs name is still a part of this process is because it has historically had the support of the small group of people who fought hardest to remove the Fighting Sioux name.  The support for the Sundogs name dates back over a decade.  Sundogs is not acceptable.

• Upvote 1

Well, it was the choice of B.R.I.D.G.E.S. (the anti-Fighting Sioux nickname group) and it is unlikely to "offend" anybody, so that is a reasonable hypothesis. But as a proud progressive, I reject the tendency of my ideological brethren to embrace political correctness. I think it is a slippery-slope that we should not even think of going down.

• Downvote 1

You can put lipstick on a pig........

You have hit the nail on the head!

The biggest issue was that the committee didn't cut North Dakota from the start.  They were tasked with picking a new nickname, which "North Dakota"/"no nickname" does not fit the criteria of.  The majority of stakeholder thing continues to be a false statement with absolutely nothing to back it up. As for why it isn't on the ballot? A)The committee eliminated (giving it more chances to be kept alive than any other nickname before removing it, albeit a few months too late) and B)It's not a nickname.

Just because I'm curious, who specifically on the committee would you classify in the "a lot of bad members" group?

There are good points to both sides of the argument. First, let take any personal opinion of using North Dakota/No Nickname. Whether or not you do or do not like that is irrelevant to this conversation.

Yes, Kelley appointed a committee.

Yes, Kelly is the President. The President needs to show leadership, and could override the committee if he wanted. Ultimately, the buck stops with him.

Yes, the entire process was a circus, and executed poorly. If UND/No Nickname was not going to be an option, it should have been discussed from the beginning and scratched. Instead the waffled back and forth more than Brett Favre. Again personal preference aside, this was a highly popular option and it was pretty poor of the committee and the President to not allow the voters to have the option they wanted. Basically a "We know better than you" type of thing.

Yes, Sundogs sucks and it is ridiculous that it is in the top 5. Plenty of option that would have been better.

Yes, these options are all pretty pathetic.

No, nothing is going to put North Dakota back on the table, or bring back Fighting Sioux (officially)

GO SIOUX!

Fighting Sioux was also submitted many times and had it been left as an option for vote, quite possibly would have won.  Does that make it a good selection?

The only reason the Sundogs name is still a part of this process is because it has historically had the support of the small group of people who fought hardest to remove the Fighting Sioux name.  The support for the Sundogs name dates back over a decade.  Sundogs is not acceptable.

Imagine if that historical support would have been for Roughriders instead of Sundogs.  If so, RR would now be receiving the same ass-end of criticism Sundogs gets here.

Fighting Sioux was also submitted many times and had it been left as an option for vote, quite possibly would have won.  Does that make it a good selection?

YES!!!!! Sorry, most of us feel that way or it wouldn't have been submitted over 1000 times!  We have to move on but we don't have to like it! 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3849266-letter-still-time-put-undnorth-dakota-option-ballot

Once again, if you are going to try to hide your obsession with the Sioux nickname via "let's stay North Dakota", don't bring up the Standing Rock vote and flat out write Fighting Sioux multiple times in your letter.  :silly:

Understanding what "free speech" means and how it is or isn't applicable in this situation would probably be helpful as well.  At least he admits that "North Dakota" is not a nickname, which is what the committee(s) and the whole process was put together to come up with.

Fighting Sioux was deemed unacceptable by the NCAA, which is why we are in this cluster#$%!

North Dakota was not, I don't think there was anything wrong with having it on the ballot given the overwhelming support for it. What the committee, and President Kelly, did by removing the option, was piss off a lot of people and make the transition process even more difficult on the school. People don't like feeling forced into something.

I, for one, would have voted for North Dakota, but had North Dakota been on the ballot and lost the vote then I would have gladly moved on. What really sucks, is not even having the chance to put your vote out there.

Though, as I said, nothing will put it back on the ballot at this point, so arguing about North Dakota is pretty irrelevant.

• Upvote 1