SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

BOYCOTT this whole stupid process. Let 27 people, who care deeply, vote and decide it. I am totally disinterested. North Dakota it is for me. I will not use any of those 5 'approved' ideas. I doubt there are many college sport teams that exist today with an elected "nickname". It just happens over time. If UND was not so interested in making revenue off whatever 'nickname' gets past this election, they could just wait and see what comes up over time. I won't be buying or wearing any of the 5 approved names. Will it be Fighting Sundogs or just Sundogs?

BOYCOTT this whole stupid process. Let 27 people, who care deeply, vote and decide it. I am totally disinterested. North Dakota it is for me. I will not use any of those 5 'approved' ideas. I doubt there are many college sport teams that exist today with an elected "nickname". It just happens over time. If UND was not so interested in making revenue off whatever 'nickname' gets past this election, they could just wait and see what comes up over time. I won't be buying or wearing any of the 5 approved names. Will it be Fighting Sundogs or just Sundogs?

I don't think they were making a killing with the plain North Dakota, interlocking ND gear.  No nickname will create the revenue the Fighting Sioux name and logo created.

That said, someone needs to be the adult in the room on this nickname issue or it’s never going to go away.

And with that quote Rob Port finally got something right. 

Someone does need to be the adult in the room. And it's taken heaven knows how long, but believe it or not, it was Robert Kelley. 

President Kelley added, “As I have noted many times, North Dakota is not a nickname—it is a reflection of our pride in who we are.  We have been North Dakota—UND—for more than 130 years, and we always will be.  The Nickname Committee has delivered a list of five prospective nicknames with the potential to add value to our already-existing North Dakota identity and evoke the pride and spirit that we all feel for our University and our State.  I respect and support the process the Committee used, and the extensive public input they gathered.  In making this decision, I also respect their final recommendations.”

We've had three years of "talking" and "get this right".

With all due respect to the chair of the ND SBoHE, but "One more look at this and visit with everybody and come to a decision" is pure hokum. Committee after committee has already done that ad nauseum. Where has she been throughout this process? 

Edited by The Sicatoka

And with that quote Rob Port finally got something right. 

Someone does need to be the adult in the room. And it's taken heaven knows how long, but believe it or not, it was Robert Kelley. 

We've had three years of "talking" and "get this right".

With all due respect to the chair of the ND SBoHE, but "One more look at this and visit with everybody and come to a decision" is pure hokum. Committee after committee has already done that ad nauseum. Where has she been throughout this process? 

So they could say... put the name back on the list?  Or they want the actual justification out there for the public?

You should like North Stars as its a favorite of the hockey only crowd. Being a former NHL team and all... 

• Upvote 1

My estimate is that she is unaware of the so called goon letter.

By all that is good and merciful just get this thing over with.

When first taking nickname submissions, the committe came up with some attributes that they would evaluate each name on.  These attributes were:

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion;
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol.

The committe deffinitely should be applauded for doing at least this right.  These are the attributes that I think all of us can agree should be represeted by UNd's new nickname.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion and those fortunate enough will get a vote.  I only ask that when figuring out the name you are going to vote for, take these attributes into consideration.

When first taking nickname submissions, the committe came up with some attributes that they would evaluate each name on.  These attributes were:

• Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and

The committe deffinitely should be applauded for doing at least this right.  These are the attributes that I think all of us can agree should be represeted by UNd's new nickname.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion and those fortunate enough will get a vote.  I only ask that when figuring out the name you are going to vote for, take these attributes into consideration.

Sundog has the unique attribute and thats it.

Sometimes it's a good idea to use a Roughrider in a passionate situation.  But other than that, all the choices pretty much fail those four bullet points miserably.