SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

If "Roughriders" wins in the voting process I wonder how much UND is willing to pay Mr. Sdao to use the logo or name, whichever applies to the situation.  The colors are similar and I would graphic artists would come up with similar designs for logos, so it is likely that somewhere down the line they will have to contend with all of this.  I would guess that the same thing would happen with "Northstars."

Does anyone else see the double-standard of being fine with having to pay these entities, however, there was to my knowledge never a discussion of paying the tribes for use of the Fighting Sioux name?  I am sure a little money could have went a long way to grease the skids to get a vote at Standing Rock.

I'm really not a Fighting Sioux forever guy, but all these names are lame and the process blows. 

They should have to pay nothing. So when is this guy going to start paying the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Red River High School?

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting that this lawyer includes the tradmarks office registration information with "RoughRiders" clealy stated as the trademark, yet in his letter he says "If UND were to pick the name Rough Riders or some variation therof, my client has informed me that it would be willing to discuss liscensing rights with the University."  The registered trademark, as shown in the letter, shows RoughRiders.  Does he thing that that trademark holds ownership to all variation of the word?  So Roughriders, RoughRiders, Rough Riders, Ruff Riders, Rough Ridaz, Ruff Ridaz, etc, etc, etc are all property of the Cedar Rapids USHL team?

If "Roughriders" wins in the voting process I wonder how much UND is willing to pay Mr. Sdao to use the logo or name, whichever applies to the situation.  The colors are similar and I would graphic artists would come up with similar designs for logos, so it is likely that somewhere down the line they will have to contend with all of this.  I would guess that the same thing would happen with "Northstars."

Does anyone else see the double-standard of being fine with having to pay these entities, however, there was to my knowledge never a discussion of paying the tribes for use of the Fighting Sioux name?  I am sure a little money could have went a long way to grease the skids to get a vote at Standing Rock.

I'm really not a Fighting Sioux forever guy, but all these names are lame and the process blows. 

There was discussion of offering the tribes a portion of the royalty money for use of the name, but the tribes didn't want to even discuss it. The tribes felt it would be "selling" their name, and that would be against their principles. Standing Rock wouldn't even answer the telephone to talk about it. Money wasn't going to grease any skids at Standing Rock unless you found a way to bribe some people.

As far as paying for logos, you will always have to pay someone for a logo. It may be an employee you pay to create it, someone you contract with to create it, or buying one that someone already has. Bennet Brien was paid to create the Fighting Sioux logo. There are a lot of ways to create logos, and UND could easily get something that is completely different than what Mr. Sdao has or the old North  Stars logo. The only question is how their trademarks are written to see if they would interfere with how UND would want to use a name and logo. The lawyers seem pretty confident that they have reviewed those problems.

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting that this lawyer includes the tradmarks office registration information with "RoughRiders" clealy stated as the trademark, yet in his letter he says "If UND were to pick the name Rough Riders or some variation therof, my client has informed me that it would be willing to discuss liscensing rights with the University."  The registered trademark, as shown in the letter, shows RoughRiders.  Does he thing that that trademark holds ownership to all variation of the word?  So Roughriders, RoughRiders, Rough Riders, Ruff Riders, Rough Ridaz, Ruff Ridaz, etc, etc, etc are all property of the Cedar Rapids USHL team?

Moore's letter is a marketing brochure.  I'm betting they sell it outright, discounted pricing, so that the USHL team can rid themselves of that awful nickname and move forward with a new, respectful name everyone in Cedar Rapids can get behind and support.

taz

• Upvote 1

I had to look at a jobsite at the GFAFB today, when I drove up to the gate above it was written with big letters....

WARRIORS OF THE NORTH!

Now that would have made a great nickname! Anyone questions its meaning we say to proudly represent our military base in Grand Forks!

And here they come,

Your Warriors of the North!

Or

Your University of North Dakota Warriors!

I could have gotten behind that

how about Muff Divers, Mough Divers, or Muffdivers?  Who owns those?

How much does N_SU have to pay for the Bison name? Manitoba, Bucknell, Howard, and whatever HS has the same name? This guy from Iowa is just blowing a lot of crap cause he doesn't want UND to have a new nickname and wants media attention. Pick Roughriders and see that jerk in court.

A couple of quick Google searches tell me that the Cedar Rapids team has trademarked the term RoughRiders for "Entertainment in the nature of hockey games". According to the article in the GF Herald, the attorney says that they believe there could be some confusion between their team and UND because of the hockey team. UND using the nickname for all of the athletic teams would be totally different. There should be no problems with any team other than hockey since they are trademarked only for hockey, and college hockey as a part of the entire program is quite a bit different than his program. Any financial cost to buy out his concerns would probably be minor and might not even be necessary.

There is also a trademark on Frisco RoughRiders that includes the logo for the minor league baseball team. That wouldn't be a problem for UND since Frisco is part of that trademark.

On the other hand, the trademark that comes up for Rough Riders shows up as abandoned. It was for clothing, but was abandoned more than a decade ago. If that quick search is accurate, then UND could probably use Rough Riders without a problem unless they try to claim that RoughRiders is exactly the same as Rough Riders. Include a logo that's different and that would hurt their claim even more.

• Upvote 2

mLoT2o3CXyW7TGupUilp-Pw.jpg

You could end up with something more like the Wyoming logo than the Cedar Rapids logo. 

If I remember correctly, I believe the U of Wyoming went after Breckenridge High School Cowboys because their logo was too close to the Wyoming logo and Breckenridge had to change..

I agree.  The letter was sent in April so I'm sure any possible effects have been properly vetted.  I just think the "Gotcha" nature of the article is ridiculous.

How sure? With the incompetence and lack of leadership during this fiasco you actually think this was done?

• Upvote 2

If I remember correctly, I believe the U of Wyoming went after Breckenridge High School Cowboys because their logo was too close to the Wyoming logo and Breckenridge had to change..

So you just come up with a design where the horse is in "High Ho Silver" stance on it's hind legs. 

I still think UND ends up with Roughriders or Rough Riders. It seems like the best option, Fighting Hawks next. 

I predict a runoff between those as well.  Also predicting another thread started with a poll with those two names.  Also predicting the thread drifting to why North Dakota or another option nickname is far superior!! :)

I predict a runoff between those as well.  Also predicting another thread started with a poll with those two names.  Also predicting the thread drifting to why North Dakota or another option nickname is far superior!! :)

I think if we had some sort of Logo to put behind the final 2 choices if it comes to that would definitely help in people making a decision. Doubt that will happen though.

• Upvote 3