SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

When first taking nickname submissions, the committe came up with some attributes that they would evaluate each name on.  These attributes were:

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion;
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol.

The committe deffinitely should be applauded for doing at least this right.  These are the attributes that I think all of us can agree should be represeted by UNd's new nickname.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion and those fortunate enough will get a vote.  I only ask that when figuring out the name you are going to vote for, take these attributes into consideration.

And you think these 5 nicknames meet these criteria?

• Upvote 1

Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;  (how is RR unique?)
Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion; (sun dogs fierce?)
Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
Be a unifying and rallying symbol. (none of these have been unifying)

nothing but a fail.  The majority want North Dakota and one guy ultimately gets to make that decision to not include it in the vote.  I get to vote but doubt I will.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;  (how is RR unique?)
Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion; (sun dogs fierce?)
Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
Be a unifying and rallying symbol. (none of these have been unifying)

nothing but a fail.  The majority want North Dakota and one guy ultimately gets to make that decision to not include it in the vote.  I get to vote but doubt I will.  

So what magical name do you propose that meets the criteria? How does no nickname meet anything but unique?   

The decision to not include no nickname was made by the committee. The president just awkwardly affirmed it. 

• Upvote 1

So what magical name do you propose that meets the criteria? How does no nickname meet anything but unique?   

The decision to not include no nickname was made by the committee. The president just awkwardly affirmed it. 

So, the no nickname option is gone. 

Someone ought to organize a rally to protest.  Literally tens of people may show up.  

Edited by Hayduke
  • Upvote 1

That may be so, but do you really think that these 5 are the best we can do?  If they would have axed North Dakota right away instead of handling it the way they did, the sentiment would be a lot different IMO. As A No-nickname supporter, i feel deceived. They kept dangling the carrot when they really had no intention of letting it on the ballot. If I knew from the get go that ND was not an option, I would have felt different. The committee and Kelley has created the divide in the way this was handled. They want people to rally behind a nickname?  That's not the way to do it. People are ticked and they can look in the mirror for that. I love my University and I we need a new nickname. I don't feel any of these 5 are worthy.

• Upvote 3

That may be so, but do you really think that these 5 are the best we can do?  If they would have axed North Dakota right away instead of handling it the way they did, the sentiment would be a lot different IMO. As A No-nickname supporter, i feel deceived. They kept dangling the carrot when they really had no intention of letting it on the ballot. If I knew from the get go that ND was not an option, I would have felt different. The committee and Kelley has created the divide in the way this was handled. They want people to rally behind a nickname?  That's not the way to do it. People are ticked and they can look in the mirror for that. I love my University and I we need a new nickname. I don't feel any of these 5 are worthy.

^^*^^  THIS!  

Stringing us along with the potential of the no-nickname was a catastrophe!

RK's leadership on this issue is a joke.

• Upvote 1

In his statement, I assumed Roberto would've included something  pertaining to these sanctions we heard about from an email that the NCAA might, could, possibly, maybe impose.  

If Roberto would've spent the last month communicating with the NCAA and told us as a result of those talks, we have to leave no name off the ballot, this would've gone over much better.    Myself and probably 95% of the no name supporters would just say alright fine, let's choose one of the 5.

but instead, Kelleys ineptitude shines thru once again.

• Upvote 1

...and what nickname did you, or would you offer up that is worthy?  

Edited by tnt

^^*^^  THIS!  

Stringing us along with the potential of the no-nickname was a catastrophe!

RK's leadership on this issue is a joke.

you really think the no nickname crowd would have blindly accepted it and moved on had it been removed right away?  We would still be hearing from them how horrible everything is. 

• Upvote 1

Just when you think this issue is going to be resolved in October, another bureaucrat breathes more life into it:

https://sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-2/

Shortly after I broke the news, State Board of Higher Education President Kathy Neset appeared on the What’s On Your Mind radio program with Scott Hennen and said she’d like a second look at Kelley’s decision.

“We should revisit this quickly, soon, and get another good take on what does the future look like for UND as far as a namesake,” she said.

“I think that the entities that are involved in this should have another quick look through this,” she continued. “We need to get this right.”

And the key statement that tells you what Ms. Neset wants: 

“One more look at this and visit with everybody and come to a decision. President Kelley has some good viable reasons for making the decision he has. Let’s talk through this again and get it right.”

In other words, Ms. Neset is going to order Kelley to put 'North Dakota' back on the list.

I have a question for Ms. Neset: How many more "quick looks" do you need to give this issue? There have been literally years of "quick looks" given to this issue.

A better idea is to have a "quick look" at Ms. Neset's qualifications (or lack thereof) to hold the job she holds on the SBoHE. :angry: And I mean every single word of that. 

Edited by fightingsioux4life

I honestly didn't even pay attention to the list, because I was all North Dakota. We were never told at the get go it wasn't an option until it was removed in the last round. If it had been removed initially, I would have been more invested. I know I'm not the  only one that feels that way. I like the idea of something aerospace related, since we are such a big aerospace school. I seriously refuse to buy anything Sundog related. That's just embarrassing!

Just when you think this issue is going to be resolved in October, another bureaucrat breathes more life into it:

https://sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-2/

And the key statement that tells you what Ms. Neset wants: 

In other words, Ms. Neset is going to order Kelley to put 'North Dakota' back on the list.

I have a question for Ms. Neset: How many more "quick looks" do you need to give this issue? There have been literally years of "quick looks" given to this issue.

A better idea is to have a "quick look" at Ms. Neset's qualifications (or lack thereof) to hold the job she holds on the SBoHE. :angry: And I mean every single word of that. 

People must have missed this part of the GF Herald article.

Later in the day, however, she clarified her words. In a statement, she said: “My initial reaction to the UND nickname announcement this morning is that more conversations will undoubtedly take place as it has been a subject of great interest for years. So many people are passionate about the subject because so many are connected to and care about the University of North Dakota. I think it speaks to the level of dedication that alumni feel toward their education.

“I have been talking to many people about the subject prior to today and though conversations will undoubtedly continue, I think it’s time we move on. As State Board of Higher Education chair, I believe that we need to focus on student success and affordability.”

An SBHE agenda, released for next Thursday’s meeting, does not include the nickname as an agenda item.

Fighting Hawks might not be a great choice, but it's the only one that keeps a tie-in to the former nickname - and that's a plus in my book.

That, and the logo potential.  Its falls in my "well the name itself so-so, but that logo is so damn good it makes the name look better" category.

• Upvote 1

I honestly didn't even pay attention to the list, because I was all North Dakota. We were never told at the get go it wasn't an option until it was removed in the last round. If it had been removed initially, I would have been more invested. I know I'm not the  only one that feels that way. I like the idea of something aerospace related, since we are such a big aerospace school. I seriously refuse to buy anything Sundog related. That's just embarrassing!

What?. Every name on the list had the potential to removed by the committee, either at the first cut to 15,7, or down to the final 5. Sounds like you're suffering from a case of sour grapes.

People must have missed this part of the GF Herald article.

Not surprised. She was doing alot of double talk in that interview. You could tell she was aware of the decision to remove "North Dakota" from consideration before that interview.

That, and the logo potential.  Its falls in my "well the name itself so-so, but that logo is so damn good it makes the name look better" category.

Yep.  I know plenty of folks who think "Wild" is an incredibly lame nickname - but the logo helps make up for it.