SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

UND has to raise nearly 3x what NDSU needs to raise to fund FCOA in '16, and may need to cut sports.   Neither school has a concrete plan, both just announced.   Why is that a problem at NDSu and not at UND?    I'd rather be raising $350 than $900, and I rather not be worrying about whether or not I need to cut my sport offerings.

You frequent this board enough to know that most of us wouldn't mind seeing some sports cut.  

I'd have no problem with UND aligning to Big Sky sponsored sports plus M/W ice hockey. (Others may disagree.) 

There's your $900k. 

Then again, UND is putting new video boards into the Betty. That's a $600k outlay (in conjunction with REA) that provides a ... new advertising revenue stream. 

But UND has no plan and just jumped in. :silly:

UND has to raise nearly 3x what NDSU needs to raise to fund FCOA in '16, and may need to cut sports.   Neither school has a concrete plan, both just announced.   Why is that a problem at NDSu and not at UND?    I'd rather be raising $350 than $900, and I rather not be worrying about whether or not I need to cut my sport offerings.

Why are you worried at all about what UND is doing?  You have completely changed your argument.

Thanks for conceding.  Cheers.

I'm not implying anything, just stating facts.  UND said "me Too" to FCOA six days after Ndsu did.  I think that says it all.

You have quite the complex there, Herd.

Just stating facts here....

Using your logic, ndsu said "me too" after Liberty announced in April 2015.  Some 4 plus months later.

I think that says it all.

Congrats.  Who cares.

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 2

NDSU will need to raise $350k or less by Sep 2016.   Team Makers will eat that up and spit it out.   

I'm not implying anything, just stating facts.  UND said "me Too" to FCOA six days after Ndsu did.  I think that says it all.

Ok Jan. We get it. You announced first.....kind of.

Motto in English
Light and Law
Established1883
TypePublic
Flagship
Space-grant
Endowment

$230.5 million[1

Former names
North Dakota Agricultural College (1890-1960)
MottoFor the land, and its people
Established1890
TypePublic
Land-grant

Endowment

$126 million[1]

Edited by petey23
  • Upvote 1

homer

• 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  •  
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 3 hours ago · Report post

3 hours ago, Herd said:

Why are people questioning how NDSU will raise the $350/year, when UND needs to raise $900 and might have to cut sports to do it.  That issue would be much more concerning to me.

Cause you seem to think $350,000/year is going to be a walk in the park. 

Raise ticket prices 5.00 =450,000. Thats just one easy example.

Cutting sports is a way to pay for something long term with no need to ask for more money every year.

Raising half the money for only three years and begging for donations and claiming "We're offering it*" is extremely short sighted.

Cutting those sports will still be offering more opportunities for female athletes than NDSU.

Edited by Cratter

Cutting sports is a way to pay for something long term with no need to ask for more money every year.

Raising half the money for only three years and begging for donations and claiming "We're offering it*" is extremely short sighted.

Cutting those sports will still be offering more opportunities for female athletes than NDSU.

If you listened to the presser and read the article it was mentioned that this would provide the funding needed to pay for FCOA for the next 3 years until a funding plan could be implemented.  NDSU added scholarships and fully funding all of its sports plus they are  offering FCOA to all of its athletes. . I dont see whats so short sighted about that.

I wonder how your athletes felt when Faison said that only the hockey team was going to get FCOA at the beginning?

You can always hope that the FCS cuts scholarships back to help you compete like in the DII days.   Then you won't need to get the scissors out.    Cutting programs is usually very upsetting to an athletic department and its student athletes.   I'm surprised at the "no big deal" attitude toward cutting programs, even though it seem inevitable.

And I'm pretty sure that Marsha has 12 championships to Jan's (me too) 1.

• Downvote 2

You can always hope that the FCS cuts scholarships back to help you compete like in the DII days.   Then you won't need to get the scissors out.    Cutting programs is usually very upsetting to an athletic department and its student athletes.   I'm surprised at the "no big deal" attitude toward cutting programs, even though it seem inevitable.

This excuse gets really old. Let's face it, once Rocky ran out of players from the previous regime he never could get the program back to the level it was throughout most of the 1980's. Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon just flat-out beat NDSU for the best players and won more big games during the 1990's. It was not caused by the NCAA cutting scholarships.

And once Bubba has this program back to what it once was in the early 2000's, you won't be copping that smug, arrogant attitude on here anymore.

Enjoy your dominance while it lasts; all good things eventually come to an end.

• Upvote 1

This excuse gets really old. Let's face it, once Rocky ran out of players from the previous regime he never could get the program back to the level it was throughout most of the 1980's. Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon just flat-out beat NDSU for the best players and won more big games during the 1990's. It was not caused by the NCAA cutting scholarships.

And once Bubba has this program back to what it once was in the early 2000's, you won't be copping that smug, arrogant attitude on here anymore.

Enjoy your dominance while it lasts; all good things eventually come to an end.

Rocky would use any excuse why UND took over the NCC except for good coaching we had with RT, Dale Lennon and others. Rocky was a huge sore loser and things he said on air and in the press was comical. UND was powerhouse in the 70's and its not like our success came out of nowhere (surely not due to scholarship cuts), Pat Behrns didn't do the team any favors and RT had to rebuild and in 1993 we made it back to the top. Scholarship cuts another Rocky Hager excuse why UND beat his team. 

• Upvote 1

Rocky would use any excuse why UND took over the NCC except for good coaching we had with RT, Dale Lennon and others. Rocky was a huge sore loser and things he said on air and in the press was comical. UND was powerhouse in the 70's and its not like our success came out of nowhere (surely not due to scholarship cuts), Pat Behrns didn't do the team any favors and RT had to rebuild and in 1993 we made it back to the top. Scholarship cuts another Rocky Hager excuse why UND beat his team. 

I've always wondered how scholarship cuts across the board could effect a team when all teams play under the same scholarship rules?

I'm surprised at the "no big deal" attitude about the lack of opportunities for women at NDSU even though it's painfully obvious. 

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised at the "no big deal" attitude about the lack of opportunities for women at NDSU even though it's painfully obvious. 

Every woman athlete at NDSU on scholarship (they are at the max in all sports) is getting a scholarship and FCOA. Can UND say that? Are they fully funding all sports?

Every woman athlete at NDSU on scholarship (they are at the max in all sports) is getting a scholarship and FCOA. Can UND say that? Are they fully funding all sports?

What is the ratio of opportunities for women at NDSU at compared to what their student body percentage is at?  How does that ratio compare with other D-1 institutions?

If you listened to the presser and read the article it was mentioned that this would provide the funding needed to pay for FCOA for the next 3 years until a funding plan could be implemented.  NDSU added scholarships and fully funding all of its sports plus they are  offering FCOA to all of its athletes. . I dont see whats so short sighted about that.

I wonder how your athletes felt when Faison said that only the hockey team was going to get FCOA at the beginning?

You do understand that there is a difference between saying that "the hockey teams will get FCOA" and "only the hockey teams will get FCOA", don't you? I don't recall anyone ever saying that it would only be hockey into the future. It was always stated that the UND athletic department was watching the NCAA's changing landscape. 

So, what's the problem again?

• Upvote 2

I've always wondered how scholarship cuts across the board could effect a team when all teams play under the same scholarship rules?

At the time the scholarship rules were different than they are today. NDSU was what they used to call --over funded. After a time the under-funded schools got together and pushed through and voted on scholarship limits of 36 I believe.(could be wrong on that)

I have never understood that excuse either because everyone had the same numbers. But after talking to former players from around that time the program faltered from a supposed lack of leadership and internal administrative turmoil behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1