SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

What funding inequality is that? The legislature just redid the funding formula and DB supported it. Seems like an odd and irrelevant thing to bring up.

If not FCOA, what else randomly caused NDSU's athletic budget to have a 7-8% hole in it? What are all these travel costs, equipment and supplies that are predicted to suddenly skyrocket in price? Just 2 years after requesting an increase that was supposed to cover the subsequent 5 years, the athletic department is back asking for more with very little in terms of specific answers. Does the athletic department not know how to do budgets and projections? Or maybe there is all of the sudden a little less money available to be allocated for those expenses because there is a new, large expense to account for? I wonder what that could be...add more women's sports ($$$) or face a potential title 9 lawsuit ($$$$$$$$$)?????

I would say that raising student activity fees to compare with peers isn't something to strive for. But at least that soapbox is gone now.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, homer said:

They are trying to explain it.  Raising it just because.  No one seems to remember that 2 years ago was a five year proposal, except the students.  Just an odd coincidence that they suddenly need 1.5 million.  The only people who fail to see the coralation are the same that said team makers would chew up the money for FCOA and spit it out while every other "peer" institution was/is struggling with where to get the funds

Since most schools are forward looking Im sure they see a need for funding future projects, infrastructure etc. FCOA was already taken care of for the first 3 years with private donations.

It is a shame that peer institutions went to the well to often and to long and dont have an effective fund raising arm for athletics.

You have used your students as a resource much more than we have. So why the angst when we do also?

23 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Since most schools are forward looking Im sure they see a need for funding future projects, infrastructure etc. FCOA was already taken care of for the first 3 years with private donations.

It is a shame that peer institutions went to the well to often and to long and dont have an effective fund raising arm for athletics.

You have used your students as a resource much more than we have. So why the angst when we do also?

Because you are lying about it.

15 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Well, half of FCOA is supposedly taken care of for the first three years, not all of it. They don't have all of the the money in place for the rest. And if you're correct that they are looking for funding for future projects and infrastructure out of student fees, that is completely different than the excuse the athletic representatives gave when they were stumbling through in their answers to students not to mention possibly illegal so I'll chalk it up to you not actually having a clue what they really need the money for.  

If NDSU is so forward looking, how did they not see this coming 2 years ago when they asked for and received an increase in student fees that they said was going to cover everything needed from the students for the next 5 years? They somehow missed the need for an extra $1.5 million dollars a year at the time? That's 7-8% of NDSU's total athletic budget, seems like kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure how you claim in one breath that peer institutions go to the well too often and don't have effective fund raising while defending NDSU from doing the exact same thing?  I actually have no angst in what NDSU is doing, its the spin and half-truths being used to defend it that people are mocking, especially after hearing how NDSU is so flush with cash.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Well, half of FCOA is supposedly taken care of for the first three years, not all of it. They don't have all of the the money in place for the rest. And if you're correct that they are looking for funding for future projects and infrastructure out of student fees, that is completely different than the excuse the athletic representatives gave when they were stumbling through in their answers to students not to mention possibly illegal so I'll chalk it up to you not actually having a clue what they really need the money for.  

If NDSU is so forward looking, how did they not see this coming 2 years ago when they asked for and received an increase in student fees that they said was going to cover everything needed from the students for the next 5 years? They somehow missed the need for an extra $1.5 million dollars a year at the time? That's 7-8% of NDSU's total athletic budget, seems like kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure how you claim in one breath that peer institutions go to the well too often and don't have effective fund raising while defending NDSU from doing the exact same thing?  I actually have no angst in what NDSU is doing, its the spin and half-truths being used to defend it that people are mocking, especially after hearing how NDSU is so flush with cash.

We have brought new people on board with different visions and view points and ideas. From what I understand its had a pretty good effect on the depts thought process.

As far as some of the other stuff Im just speculating just like you and the rest here.  JUst like they mentioned travel for our teams. May be they want to send the outdoor Track and field teams to more away meet in the spring because of the weather?   Womens softball and mens baseball? There are thousands of scenarios if you want to speculate. But you want to zero in on one thing. Hey have at it.

Im an alum and its no big deal to me. Why is it a big deal to you? Oh I cant believe you played the illegal card. Wow.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So do they need the money to meet expenses (FCOA), or are they simply entitled to the money because others charge more in fees (and less in tuition)? Thus far, they have not identified valid expenses to justify the increase in fees. As usual, they've chosen to distract and obfuscate when questioned rather than justify their request. Perhaps they do have increased expenses outside of FCOA, but we are constantly reminded the sports they offer are all very well funded, travel costs are decreasing, and team makers raises more money than they know what to do with, so I'm curious to hear where it will go. 

This is the false narrative that has been pushed by NDSU and the Imperial Cass County Media Establishment for some time now. It has been pushed to promote the image of NDSU as a "big-time Division I Institution". Problem is, the numbers don't add up on the spreadsheet. :whistling:

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is the false narrative that has been pushed by NDSU and the Imperial Cass County Media Establishment for some time now. It has been pushed to promote the image of NDSU as a "big-time Division I Institution". Problem is, the numbers don't add up on the spreadsheet. :whistling:

Request the spread sheet with a FOI.

11 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Just trying to get our numbers up to where ndsu's conference mates are would be my guess

So, will NDSU then lower the amount of institutional support (university funds*) provided to athletics to align to peers as well? 

*I'm thinking the academic side of the shop could find good use for the funds. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bison73 said:

I would be more concerned about being up front and honest with your student body that is apparently asking questions about why they need to be tagged again two years later.  Their opinion is what matters, not mine.  Even the answers you try and give are speculation.  You are leading your answers with a lot of "maybe's".

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

If NDSU is so forward looking, how did they not see this coming 2 years ago when they asked for and received an increase in student fees that they said was going to cover everything needed from the students for the next 5 years?

< mic drop > 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, bison73 said:

From Hammersmith on BV

I picked the nearest DI schools to get a comparison. I took the student fee data from the annual USA Today report and divided it by the FTE enrollments of the universities(data from each schools' website). I think that's the most accurate way of figuring out how much the average student pays since most fees are based on credit hours.

$252.40 - UND
$248.09 - SDSU
$208.20 - USD
$169.67 - UNI
$103.03 - UNO
$88.57 - NDSU

Interesting dont you think.

Interesting that you continually miss, or ignore, the point.  

7 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Where is und going to come up with the extra$ for fcoa? When a student hike comes up should we just sit on our hands and say oh well, flagship?

five floors below ralphs suite at REA...its a secret room full of hundo's for emergency situations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Texas rancher said:

Where is und going to come up with the extra$ for fcoa? When a student hike comes up should we just sit on our hands and say oh well, flagship?

Maybe you shouldn't worry your pretty little head about UND asking for a student hike until it is actually suggested by someone at UND. Then maybe you can ask some questions. So far you are the only person that has suggested that UND might do that. Until then, keep trying to change the subject to deflect attention away from NDSU.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Maybe you shouldn't worry your pretty little head about UND asking for a student hike until it is actually suggested by someone at UND. Then maybe you can ask some questions. So far you are the only person that has suggested that UND might do that. Until then, keep trying to change the subject to deflect attention away from NDSU.

Nothing to deflect.  Its pretty straight forward IMO. If you want to extrapolate it to whatever conspiracy or scenario have at it. I find it amusing.

I also find it amusing you resorted to that tact, which of course you had to because you dont have an answer.  All you would of had to do was say you didnt know. Just like myself as I also have no idea where the rest of the money will come from at this juncture. I do know I sent in a donation for that exact purpose and was ear marked so.  I know others who did as well. So Im not really concerned about where the extra will come from. There are many avenues where to raise the extra money. 350,000.00 is already taken care of.

I wish you well in your fund raising efforts.

5 hours ago, bison73 said:

Nothing to deflect.  Its pretty straight forward IMO. If you want to extrapolate it to whatever conspiracy or scenario have at it. I find it amusing.

I also find it amusing you resorted to that tact, which of course you had to because you dont have an answer.  All you would of had to do was say you didnt know. Just like myself as I also have no idea where the rest of the money will come from at this juncture. I do know I sent in a donation for that exact purpose and was ear marked so.  I know others who did as well. So Im not really concerned about where the extra will come from. There are many avenues where to raise the extra money. 350,000.00 is already taken care of.

If UND can raise over 300+ million for the IPF and other things around campus, I think they can find a way to come up with money for FCOA.

7 hours ago, bison73 said:

How is someone supposed to answer something that has never been presented as an option by anyone related to UND. Let's try this: What happens when NDSU comes back to ask for more student money again in two years?

Since you can't seem to differentiate between discussing something that has actually happened (NDSU athletics asking for students to over double their fees just 2 years into a 5 year agreement) and something that not a single soul has mentioned to this point (UND changing their student fees), I guess it is fair to just speculate NDSU will keep taking more money from students every two years because it is apparent that they can't make a budget or prepare accurate projections.