SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

UND does not fill the full number of NCAA allowed grants-in-aid for all sports. 

The latest grants-in-aid dollars numbers I have (from US DOEd) are:

School Men Women Total

NDSU 2037708    1323941        3361649
UND 1975047    1908352        3883399

Based on the higher total dollars for grants-in-aid, it would seem logical that UND's FCOA totals would be at least that of NDSU if not higher. 

Some posters here have said that UND has 60-70 more scholarship athletes and not all sports have the full allotment of scholarships.  So how can it still cost roughly the same per year as NDSU?  (700,000.00)

If you listened to Faison yesterday he said their rough estimate right now is around $725,000 for next year but they are still looking at the numbers.  I'm guessing this is tied to the "re prioritizing sports" that he mentioned as well.  Also, when your AD was on the radio he estimated $600,00-$700,000 for NDSU FCOA.  From the sounds of it, both are still trying to pinpoint the exact final number.  

The bitterness of FU fans on this is almost as great as the announcement itself.  

• Upvote 2

No - just trying to figure out the numbers.  They don't add up. 

Classic.  Coming from a school that has no idea how they are going to pay for the other 50% of the their FCOA.  Hey, maybe the dining surplus is still there?  That is, if they aren't using it to still pay for the coaches offices in the dome.  

• Upvote 1

Classic.  Coming from a school that has no idea how they are going to pay for the other 50% of the their FCOA.  Hey, maybe the dining surplus is still there?  That is, if they aren't using it to still pay for the coaches offices in the dome.  

And that 50% is only for the first three years...

The Bison rubes are just upset that UND is matching what NDSU did about a week earlier.  They were looking forward to UND not following up on this and thus being able to grind our non-hockey programs into dust, never to rise again.  Faison's announcement on Wednesday put that idea on ice, never to rise again.

UND does not fill the full number of NCAA allowed grants-in-aid for all sports. 

The latest grants-in-aid dollars numbers I have (from US DOEd) are:

School Men Women Total

NDSU 2037708    1323941        3361649
UND 1975047    1908352        3883399

Based on the higher total dollars for grants-in-aid, it would seem logical that UND's FCOA totals would be at least that of NDSU if not higher. 

:0

• Upvote 2

The Bison rubes are just upset that UND is matching what NDSU did about a week earlier.  They were looking forward to UND not following up on this and thus being able to grind our non-hockey programs into dust, never to rise again.  Faison's announcement on Wednesday put that idea on ice, never to rise again.

Of course they're mad or at least taking notice.

Faison just called a 10:00 AM press conference fot tomorrow to announce the hiring of a new Director of Football Recruiting position.

What time is the press conference to announce a "Director of Recruiting for any Women's Sport or any sport other than football" scheduled in Fargo?

• Upvote 1

Don't worry, they have a survey that says that is acceptable.   

To top it off, NDSU also announced they will be fully funding baseball, men's golf and men's track, which they had not been previously doing. The gap between those two numbers is only going to increase.

I don't think you will see that many variables. The cost of attendance is already known by every school. They will set a certain amount for each school. Then it all going to be proportional to the amount of the athletes scholarship.

Schools have been giving FCOA for other scholarships for years. They need to figure it for the federal government, for Pell grants. The numbers that keep getting quoted are AN AVERAGE of all FCOA. As I stated twice, and as I proved with a couple of articles, each FCOA for each individual is figured separately. Or maybe you know more about it than the Athletic Director from Auburn, Jay Jacobs, who was quoted in one of the paragraphs I listed above and again here. How amazing for NDSU that even their fans know more about athletic department issues than the Athletic Directors for the Power 5 conferences. :ohmy:

Auburn has one of the SEC's highest cost-of attendance averages at $5,586. However, even that figure is not a one-size, fits-all calculation and can vary based on whether the student is in-state or out-of-state and whether there are other personal needs provided to the financial aid office, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said.

“If you live in Birmingham and I live in Auburn, if I go through the financial aid process, my number could be lower than yours because I live closer to Auburn,” Jacobs said. “But if I have a child, then my child care could increase and you may not. Ours is an average number so it could fluctuate.”

• Upvote 2

Really?  That's pretty strange since UND announced in April that they would be paying it to M/W hockey players this year and are actually already making the payments.

Well at least we know that Faison offered the courtesy of letting others in the conference know about UND's plans

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall Kolpack having anything similar in his articles about NDSU.  Wonder why?

Matt Larson said in the press conference he spoke with MVFC and Summit.

Maybe email Jeff and ask why he didn't include that if you are so curious. I think he was the one that asked Larson the question. 

No - just trying to figure out the numbers.  They don't add up. 

Neither did the numbers for your President's house and chauffeur , but they still happened.  Nevermind the fact that we don't know what the plans are going to be cutting back in certain areas.  

Edited by tnt

These are pretty great :)

The way Faison is thinking we might as well be Colorado College or Minnesota-Duluth, let's care about hockey and only hockey, screw the other sports including football but let's bend over backwards for men's and women's hockey. Stupid!!!!

Hockey culture at UND taking over again. 

He hasn't even tried and I bet has not even crunched the numbers for funding this other than for M/W hockey.  I'm a football alumni and season ticket holder who has donated money to this program and the athletic department.  He isn't even going to try.

• Upvote 2

I'll gladly take back all of the things I've said about Faison over the past week.  Props to him for getting this done!   By the way has anyone tried the crow their serving in Grand Forks these days?  It's excellent.

I also was skeptical of this administration, but I am more than happy to admit I was wrong. Major props to both Kelley and Faison for getting this done. I imagine more than a few coaches helped push this across the finish line, if you know what I mean. ;)

These are pretty great :)

First things first at UND.  "Don't worry hockey will definitely do it. The other sports are wait and see." 

The money at UND Athletics will always go to hockey first.  We all know that. It pays the bills.  Except women's hockey which is laughable they were going to give it to them and not women's basketball. 

Typical bizon blowhard troll.  When confronted with evidence to the contrary to his views, he dismisses it as garbage.  High IQ there bud.

What evidence? If you really read the article nothing is definitive except the athlete will get X amount of money and the FCOA will be the same proportions as the athletes scholarship. Almost all of the rest was possibilities-scenarios. Surprised that high dollar education you received at DSU didn't teach you the difference.

Who would have thunk? Nobody knew the figure of FCOA at UND before NDSU announced theirs, and it just so happens to be exactly the same as NDSU's. That is quite a coincidence.

nd1sufan is almost certainly Mr Burgundy at bvile.  He's fit to be tied there about UND'S fcoa.:)

He also hates Darrell's prediction that UND will beat Wyoming.

What evidence? If you really read the article nothing is definitive except the athlete will get X amount of money and the FCOA will be the same proportions as the athletes scholarship. Almost all of the rest was possibilities-scenarios. Surprised that high dollar education you received at DSU didn't teach you the difference.

There are plenty of reasons that fcoa is not the same for every athlete at a school, as the articles showed.  There use averages, which you should have learned in third grade.

nd1sufan is almost certainly Mr Burgundy at bvile.  He's fit to be tied there about UND'S fcoa.:)

He also hates Darrell's prediction that UND will beat Wyoming.

this was my prediction:

darell1976   

• photo-thumb-4446.jpg
  • Members
  • 11,708 posts

Posted 19 August · 

Early prediction: Wyoming 27 UND 24.

How can this turn into a peeing contest?

UND is paying FCOA this year for Men's and Women's hockey.   NDSU announced they will do the same for all of their scholarship athletes next year.  UND made a similar announcement a few days later.  The ND schools are 2 of 3 in the country to do so.

We must have better things to fight about.

• Upvote 3

How can this turn into a peeing contest?

UND is paying FCOA this year for Men's and Women's hockey.   NDSU announced they will do the same for all of their scholarship athletes next year.  UND made a similar announcement a few days later.  The ND schools are 2 of 3 in the country to do so.

We must have better things to fight about.

You would think so. But civil discourse is lost on some.