SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

13 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Your right, prices for plane rides, new equipment, increased travel, bills in general always stay constant! Carry on with your witch hunt skarpohl.

Air travel prices are going down.  Why is there increased travel?  You joining the Big Sky?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You serious?  Have you seen how active the dedicated UND threads are over at Bisonville?  You know we are right about this.  Admit it.

And apparently kingranch was dedicated enough to create a second profile here.....

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Air travel prices are going down.  Why is there increased travel?  You joining the Big Sky?

They are joining an FBS Big Sky and don't want this increase associated with either FBS or the Big Sky.  In addition, they will have some rather hefty exit fees.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Wow, you guys would throw a fit if ndsu used to many straws at the milkshake table.

If those straws were paid for with state taxes that were taken out of my paychecks...

Then yes, I would bitch if FU was wasting straws. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

Does NDSU have the same concern for athletic scholarship opportunities for women?  Same concern on getting to where their conference mates are there?

I guess we could also look at the inequality in funding  from the state. But thats another can of worms.

Just because they are trying to raise student activity fees to the level of their peers how did this get extrapolated to FCOA? :silly:

Questioning is better than feeling betrayed I guess.

“One question you didn’t answer was the question I asked on Friday … when I asked, ‘What has changed since … 2014, when there was a five-year budget plan?'” Swanson said to Phelps and Maughan.

Swanson added he made the motion in 2014 to increase the student activity fee for athletics and other campus organizations.

“I kinda feel like students are being betrayed right now by being asked for more money when we were told it’d be a five-year plan,” he said.

Source: http://ndsuspectrum.com/athletics-returns-to-explain-student-fee-increase/

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I guess we could also look at the inequality in funding  from the state. But thats another can of worms.

Just because they are trying to raise student activity fees to the level of their peers how did this get extrapolated to FCOA? :silly:

What funding inequality is that? The legislature just redid the funding formula and DB supported it. Seems like an odd and irrelevant thing to bring up.

If not FCOA, what else randomly caused NDSU's athletic budget to have a 7-8% hole in it? What are all these travel costs, equipment and supplies that are predicted to suddenly skyrocket in price? Just 2 years after requesting an increase that was supposed to cover the subsequent 5 years, the athletic department is back asking for more with very little in terms of specific answers. Does the athletic department not know how to do budgets and projections? Or maybe there is all of the sudden a little less money available to be allocated for those expenses because there is a new, large expense to account for? I wonder what that could be...

I would say that raising student activity fees to compare with peers isn't something to strive for. But at least that soapbox is gone now.

• Upvote 3

I think that people tend to make a lot of snap judgments when it comes to this issue. I know their are a lot of people who look at this as getting a scholarship and stipend to "play" a sport like in high school. I don't think that they realize the level of work that D1 and D2 athletes have to put in on top of school, because most athletes do have to make the grades or loose eligibility and the school isn't going to rig there grades to keep them in. I knew a girl who went to Minnesota State University, Mankato on a full ride volleyball scholarship, she played for three years and then quit her senior year because she found out that she could work near full time and actually pay for school and have more time to study. Of course it was a hard decision but it was the best choice for her at that point. When you take into accounts individual workouts, chalk talk, practices, most of these athletes are working a full time job and carrying a full course load.

6 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I think that people tend to make a lot of snap judgments when it comes to this issue. I know their are a lot of people who look at this as getting a scholarship and stipend to "play" a sport like in high school. I don't think that they realize the level of work that D1 and D2 athletes have to put in on top of school, because most athletes do have to make the grades or loose eligibility and the school isn't going to rig there grades to keep them in. I knew a girl who went to Minnesota State University, Mankato on a full ride volleyball scholarship, she played for three years and then quit her senior year because she found out that she could work near full time and actually pay for school and have more time to study. Of course it was a hard decision but it was the best choice for her at that point. When you take into accounts individual workouts, chalk talk, practices, most of these athletes are working a full time job and carrying a full course load.

I don't think anyone here thinks the student athletes don't deserve it.  The issue is the SU athletic department dodging questions about the increase in fees so that they may "be more competitive with comparable universities...."

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I don't think anyone here thinks the student athletes don't deserve it.  The issue is the SU athletic department dodging questions about the increase in fees so that they may "be more competitive with comparable universities...."

From Hammersmith on BV

I picked the nearest DI schools to get a comparison. I took the student fee data from the annual USA Today report and divided it by the FTE enrollments of the universities(data from each schools' website). I think that's the most accurate way of figuring out how much the average student pays since most fees are based on credit hours.

$252.40 - UND
$248.09 - SDSU
$208.20 - USD
$169.67 - UNI
$103.03 - UNO
$88.57 - NDSU

Interesting dont you think.

21 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Just trying to get our numbers up to where ndsu's conference mates are would be my guess

So athletics is coming back to the students two years into what was understood as a five year agreement to ask for money "just because"? What other schools do literally has nothing to do with the apparent $1.5 million hole in FargoU's athletic budget that no one saw coming or can explain.

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So athletics is coming back to the students two years into what was understood as a five year agreement to ask for money "just because"? What other schools do literally has nothing to do with the apparent $1.5 million hole in FargoU's athletic budget that no one saw coming or can explain.

Did somebody say there was a 1.5 million hole in the budget?

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They are trying to explain it.  Raising it just because.  No one seems to remember that 2 years ago was a five year proposal, except the students.  Just an odd coincidence that they suddenly need 1.5 million.  The only people who fail to see the coralation are the same that said team makers would chew up the money for FCOA and spit it out while every other "peer" institution was/is struggling with where to get the funds

• Upvote 1