SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

I have replied to that numerous times.  I don't know and neither do you.  why does that lead you to believe they haven't been working on something and don't have a plan?

On a side note - all of this conversation started with me posting that both schools are moving forward with COA and that is good for both.  We should find something else to fight about.  You were the first to reply and agreed with me.   What changed?

bison73

• 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  •  
  • 658 posts

Posted 3 September · Report post

You would think so. But civil discourse is lost on some. 

I still agree with you. My response has more to do with the fact that NDSU has a plan which some here have been critical even though UND hasnt announced a plan.

NDSU's "plan" is to "raise money" to pay for FCOA.  UND's plan doesn't involve raising any money.  The plan is simply to hope the money tree sprinkles dollars on the quad, which the football team will shovel into buckets and carry to the Ralph for processing.  I read it on the internet, must be true.

LOL! Well done!

What is NDSU's plan? I think UNDBIZ did a fine (albeit smarmy and cynical) description of it. 

What is UND's plan? Again I think UNDBIZ did a fine (albeit smarmy and cynical) description of it. 

However, UND's plan has other options, like (a) cutting sports and reallocating the budget, or (b) Champions Club levels haven't been increased in a couple years, or (c) more and better marketing of existing things. 

PS - I'm pro smarmy and cynical. :D 

What is NDSU's plan? I think UNDBIZ did a fine (albeit smarmy and cynical) description of it. 

What is UND's plan? Again I think UNDBIZ did a fine (albeit smarmy and cynical) description of it. 

However, UND's plan has other options, like (a) cutting sports and reallocating the budget, or (b) Champions Club levels haven't been increased in a couple years, or (c) more and better marketing of existing things. 

PS - I'm pro smarmy and cynical. :D 

Ya, its a shame that NDSU doesn't have cutting sports and decimating what they offer on the table like UND.  What a great lever that is!!  Maybe they could cut coaches salaries further too, lots of great options for UND.

Edited by Herd
  • Downvote 4

And you know this how??!!  Since you are in the know, can you tell us how NDSU is going to pay for the other half they still need to raise??  UND could have announce COA when they felt the time was right.  Obviously when NDSU announced it they had to respond.  You aren't going to let a school in your recruiting area make that anouncement and be the only school out there doing this when you are going to do the same thing as well.  If you want to beat your chest and say you made the announce ment first (actually second) and are leading the pack in this issue, great.  Go ahead.  But UND has leveled that recruiting playing field, so any advantage you had with COA is gone in regards to UND.

Hey smart guy, you realize this is Faison's way of getting rid of sports they shouldn't have anyway, right?  UND has too many sports and it costs too much to have them at the D1 level.

Plus, if you don't know how UND and NDSU are going to both "fund" these FCOA's then you don't know how it works at the universities.  It will get paid for.   Every year.  No matter the donations.  

UND has too many sports and it costs too much to have them at the D1 level.

UND currently sponsors 21 sports at the DI level. NDSU sponsors 16. 

The sports at UND made sense for a DII UND. UND is no longer that school so a re-evaluation and reorganization makes sense. 

Ya, its a shame that NDSU doesn't have cutting sports and decimating what they offer on the table like UND.  What a great lever that is!!  Maybe they could cut coaches salaries further too, lots of great options for UND.

or we could cut scholarships for women to 30% of total like NDSU rather than being close to 50% like we have today.

Yeah, it's a shame UND has offered student athletes the opportunity to compete at the varsity level for years. What a shame. 

Let's be honest the only reason NDSU doesn't find themselves in the position where they need to cut sports is because their administration has taken the position that providing equal opportunities for women athletes to compete isn't a worthwhile goal.

• Upvote 4

Let's be honest the only reason NDSU doesn't find themselves in the position where they need to cut sports is because their administration has taken the position that providing equal opportunities for women athletes to compete isn't a worthwhile goal.

Let's be honest, NDSU is meeting the requirements set forth by the ncaa.  Their athletics scholarship plan is certiified by the ncaa.  Is that honest?

Let's be honest . . . UND offered FCOA for hockey with no intention of doing FCOA for all sports.  Faison acted like the cat that swallowed the canary when he said that UND was doing FCOA for hockey where they were needed to compete at the highest level.  He had zero intention of doing FCOA for anything but hockey.  He certainly didn't need it in the BSC, still doesn't.  Let's be honest.

Let's be honest . . . NDSU said "who cares that UND is offering FCOA for hockey, that doesn't affect us, we will do what's right for us."    NDSU looked at FB, BB, Wresting, T&F and other sports and said that everything needs to be included based on recruiting against FBS level teams in all of these sports.  NDSU received a matching donation offer for 3 years from a doner which put them in a good spot to easily achieve the 750k needed starting in 2016.

Let's be honest . . . when UND saw NDSU was doing FCOA for all sports, Faison had a steady stream of coaches in his office.  Then he gulped and said, Me Too . . . and went to find a scissors.  Let's be honest. 

Edited by Herd
  • Downvote 4

Let's be honest . . . UND offered FCOA for hockey with no intention of doing FCOA for all sports.  

No, let's truly be honest ... 

< in my best Joe Soucheray impression >

"We don't know that." 

What we must do is take Faison at his statements to the press, namely hockey now, and monitor the situation. That's honest. 

No, let's truly be honest ... 

< in my best Joe Soucheray impression >

"We don't know that." 

What we must do is take Faison at his statements to the press, namely hockey now, and monitor the situation. That's honest. 

Is he "monitoring" activities in his conference, or in north Fargo?   That's a pretty easy one, Let's be honest.    Can you be honest?  I didn't think so.

Is he "monitoring" activities in his conference, or in north Fargo?   That's a pretty easy one, Let's be honest.    Can you be honest?  I didn't think so.

Let's be honest, if South Dakota State was the first to offer, do you think the end result on schools offering FCOA would be any different?

Let's be honest, NDSU is meeting the requirements set forth by the ncaa.  Their athletics scholarship plan is certiified by the ncaa.  Is that honest?

Let's be honest . . . UND offered FCOA for hockey with no intention of doing FCOA for all sports.  Faison acted like the cat that swallowed the canary when he said that UND was doing FCOA for hockey where they were needed to compete at the highest level.  He had zero intention of doing FCOA for anything but hockey.  He certainly didn't need it in the BSC, still doesn't.  Let's be honest.

Let's be honest . . . NDSU said "who cares that UND is offering FCOA for hockey, that doesn't affect us, we will do what's right for us."    NDSU looked at FB, BB, Wresting, T&F and other sports and said that everything needs to be included based on recruiting against FBS level teams in all of these sports.  NDSU received a matching donation offer for 3 years from a doner which put them in a good spot to easily achieve the 750k needed starting in 2016.

Let's be honest . . . when UND saw NDSU was doing FCOA for all sports, Faison had a steady stream of coaches in his office.  Then he gulped and said, Me Too . . . and went to find a scissors.  Let's be honest. 

So is NDSU's breakdown of the FCOA dollars going to be $490,000 for Men and $210,000 for Women?

Lets be honest, the fact that UND made an announcement they are doing this also less than a week after NDSU made a huge deal about it drives you crazy.  NDSU acted like it was a huge deal and UND came in and did what the coaches, fans and recruits expected.  

Lets be honest, your AD still has to raise the other half of the money and than come up with a plan for sustainment of the $700,000  annually after year 3.  What's that plan look like?

Edited by homer
  • Upvote 1