SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Hopefully for NDSU, UND is thinking about increasing it fees. 

From Hammersmith on BV

I picked the nearest DI schools to get a comparison. I took the student fee data from the annual USA Today report and divided it by the FTE enrollments of the universities(data from each schools' website). I think that's the most accurate way of figuring out how much the average student pays since most fees are based on credit hours.

$252.40 - UND
$248.09 - SDSU
$208.20 - USD
$169.67 - UNI
$103.03 - UNO
$88.57 - NDSU

If you get more money-----oh my.  :D

23 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

This simpleton math doesn't factor in how much each university kicks in from other areas to fund athletics, nor does it take into account the number of sports offered at each school.   (for instance, some universities offer women the opportunity to participate in sports, as well.)  :)   and lastly off the top of my head, it doesn't acknowledge the full cost for a student to attend each school.    But i'm sure it makes for a great talking point among the ill informed.

If you want to try and muddy the waters have at it. But its pretty irrelevant in this case.  This is what is charged  for student activity fees by schools . Not hard to understand.

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It didn't answer any of the questions the first time, not sure why you thought it might this time? 

It was in response to Cratter saying you were going to increase fees. Wow we may need to ask for more to keep up with you guys.:)

UND Student fees from https://und.edu/admissions/student-account-services/und-student-fees.cfm            $569.98 per semester or $1,140 per year

NDSU Student fees from https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/cost_tuition/cost/               $1,216 per year

UNI Student fees from https://www.uni.edu/tuition/2015-2016-undergraduate-tuition-fees                    $1,169 per year

USD Student fees from http://www.usd.edu/financial-affairs/business-office/tuition-and-fees/undergraduate               $1,125.6 per 12 credits University support fee plus $520.80 per 12 credits for General Activity fee

SDSU Student fees from https://www.sdstate.edu/admissions/financing/undergrad/cost/                     $1,920 per year

It appears that Hammersmith may be attempting to identify the amount of student fees that go to athletics (and I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the accuracy of the numbers put out by that USA Today annual report). These are the actual student fees as reported by each school's web site (with links to the pages for verification). It appears that NDSU students are already paying more in student fees overall than either UND or UNI, the Athletic Department just may not be getting as much. USD students seem to be getting the short end of the stick. I didn't post UNO's because they list every fee separately, but don't give enough explanation for all of them to know which need to be included for this discussion.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND Student fees from https://und.edu/admissions/student-account-services/und-student-fees.cfm            $569.98 per semester or $1,140 per year

NDSU Student fees from https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/cost_tuition/cost/               $1,216 per year

UNI Student fees from https://www.uni.edu/tuition/2015-2016-undergraduate-tuition-fees                    $1,169 per year

USD Student fees from http://www.usd.edu/financial-affairs/business-office/tuition-and-fees/undergraduate               $1,125.6 per 12 credits University support fee plus $520.80 per 12 credits for General Activity fee

SDSU Student fees from https://www.sdstate.edu/admissions/financing/undergrad/cost/                     $1,920 per year

It appears that Hammersmith may be attempting to identify the amount of student fees that go to athletics (and I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the accuracy of the numbers put out by that USA Today annual report). These are the actual student fees as reported by each school's web site (with links to the pages for verification). It appears that NDSU students are already paying more in student fees overall than either UND or UNI, the Athletic Department just may not be getting as much. USD students seem to be getting the short end of the stick. I didn't post UNO's because they list every fee separately, but don't give enough explanation for all of them to know which need to be included for this discussion.

Thank you for the clarification  on those numbers. Its nice to see information posted without all of the angst.

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

Who wouldn't be jealous of NDSU making their students pay more to support athletics to try and get on par with UND.

Just another example of them being a follower :) (just in case we need to attract a few more trolls.)

8 hours ago, bison73 said:

If you want to try and muddy the waters have at it. But its pretty irrelevant in this case.  This is what is charged  for student activity fees by schools . Not hard to understand.

It seems more like you continue to deflect (or muddy the waters) by bringing other schools into it. The rest of us are discussing why NDSU athletics suddenly needs an extra $1.5million from their students (over doubling what they are already contributing) just 2 years into a 5 year agreement with little information provided to the students on why the money is needed. Not to mention it is happening just a few months after they added $700K to their expenses by announcing FCOA. That has absolutely nothing to do with any other schools yet you keep bringing them into it. Any mention of a different school and what they do has zero to do with what NDSU is doing.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It seems more like you continue to deflect (or muddy the waters) by bringing other schools into it. The rest of us are discussing why NDSU athletics suddenly needs an extra $1.5million from their students (over doubling what they are already contributing) just 2 years into a 5 year agreement with little information provided to the students on why the money is needed. Not to mention it is happening just a few months after they added $700K to their expenses by announcing FCOA. That has absolutely nothing to do with any other schools yet you keep bringing them into it. Any mention of a different school and what they do has zero to do with what NDSU is doing.

Bison 73, while I appreciate the "Josh Earnest" type effort by you on this, you have to admit that this ^^^^^ looks and sounds shady, it might even be Chapman level shady.

9 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

This simpleton math doesn't factor in how much each university kicks in from other areas to fund athletics,...

This to me is a very key point. This is what are students, and taxpayers, kicking in for fun and games. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Travel, equipment, and supplies.  What more explanation is needed?  Who are we to ask for verification that those fees have doubled?

***Pure speculation***

If they move some money from one column into another to fund FCOA, then show this new money going to said cost, will the Bison faithful say all is well?

Do I need to have the smiley face emoticon?

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Bison 73, while I appreciate the "Josh Earnest" type effort by you on this, you have to admit that this ^^^^^ looks and sounds shady, it might even be Chapman level shady.

I think ANYTHING NDSU does will be looked upon as shady on this venue. It is what it is.

My opinion is based on talking to people at NDSU  and I am very comfortable with their plans.  I think they just shortchanged themselves in regards to funding and what they want to do in the future. They could have waited the five years  but have chosen not to.

If they would have waited 3 more years  to ask for the increase you guys would be up in arms again because thats when the current agreement with donors ends on FCOA as it stands now. The timing was bad but you cant let that stand in the way as the timing in the future wouldnt have been any better. IMO there is never a good time to ask for more. You just do and take your lumps because not everyone will be in agreement regardless of the reasons.

5 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I think ANYTHING NDSU does will be looked upon as shady on this venue. It is what it is.

My opinion is based on talking to people at NDSU  and I am very comfortable with their plans.  I think they just shortchanged themselves in regards to funding and what they want to do in the future. They could have waited the five years  but have chosen not to.

If they would have waited 3 more years  to ask for the increase you guys would be up in arms again because thats when the current agreement with donors ends on FCOA as it stands now. The timing was bad but you cant let that stand in the way as the timing in the future wouldnt have been any better. IMO there is never a good time to ask for more. You just do and take your lumps because not everyone will be in agreement regardless of the reasons.

So it is for FCOA costs  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Point 1: I won't argue that, however it is no different that the BS spewed on bisonville about anything UND. We can agree it is what it is.

Point 2: Your opinions (which are fine to have) don't seem to have a solid grasp of what the "plans" actually are or at least you haven't shared a concrete detail on them if you do. How did they shortchange themselves $1.5 million after only 2 years, which is almost 8% of their budget? They have been in the same conferences for almost a decade now and all of the sudden travel costs are almost tripling? That doesn't raise any red flags to you? Of course they are free to ask for more money whenever they want, but by choosing not to wait the 5 years and coming back after only 2, they opened themselves up to every bit of criticism they are getting.

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

and the people all said, Amen.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Is this how agreements work in your world?

Why does everyone on this board care so much what NDSU is asking their students for??  Keep in mind the students will be voting on the increase.

I think everyone is upset simply because NDSU athletics will be getting more money.

You can say the reason you are upset is because NDSU is lying, but 1.) That is speculation,  and 2.) There are other things to be more upset over.  Like Manitowoc County Sheriff's that are lying ;) For all of you that like a good protest, there is one currently happening.