SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

We should ask the Trojans, all of them, how they deal with that:

Anderson College (Anderson, South Carolina)

Dakota State University (Madison, South Dakota)

Hannibal-LaGrange College (Hannibal, Missouri)

Mount Olive College (Mount Olive, North Carolina)

Taylor University (Upland, Indiana)

Trevecca Nazarene University (Nashville, Tennessee)

Trinity International University (Deerfield, Illinois)

Troy University (Troy, Alabama) (former name: Troy State University)

University of Arkansas-Little Rock (Little Rock, Arkansas)

University of Southern California (Los Angeles, California) (men's team)

Virginia State University (Petersburg, Virginia)

Goodness people, I thought universities promoted such things these days.

It ain't 1912 anymore, me boy! ( the year USC chose Trojans)

I can't believe how many people like Nodaks as a nickname, I think that is the worst one on the list.  Sure I think Nodak Nation is cool as a saying or whatever, but not that as an actual mascot name.   I can't even imagine the next time we make the Frozen Four and the ESPN commentator has to say......"and here come the North Dakota Nodaks".  I will be completely embarrassed. Don't some of you realize how flipping dumb that sounds???   Sounds like lots of Sundog haters....but I would take that any day over Nodaks.

• Upvote 2

I can't believe how many people like Nodaks as a nickname, I think that is the worst one on the list. Sure I think Nodak Nation is cool as a saying or whatever, but not that as an actual mascot name. I can't even imagine the next time we make the Frozen Four and the ESPN commentator has to say......"and here come the North Dakota Nodaks". I will be completely embarrassed. Don't some of you realize how flipping dumb that sounds??? Sounds like lots of Sundog haters....but I would take that any day over Nodaks.

Sun dogs is so much worse.

What I'm finding is that the further removed from the nickname controversy one is, the more Sun Dogs is acceptable.  I don't know of anyone who has been following this process closely that likes Sun Dogs, but casual observers seem to think it's okay.  

What I'm finding is that the further removed from the nickname controversy one is, the more Sun Dogs is acceptable.  I don't know of anyone who has been following this process closely that likes Sun Dogs, but casual observers seem to think it's okay.  

I haven't noticed that whatsoever.  More people are laughing at us for these names.

Casual = non-invested.

Of course one is going to be "OK" with Sundogs if one isn't invested in UND.................except if your first name is Karl.

Of the 7 remaining options IMO it is hands down the worst.

• Upvote 1

I haven't noticed that whatsoever.  More people are laughing at for these names.

I should have had said "some" casual observers think it's okay.  Yes, there are still plenty of casual observers that laugh at it.  I guess my point was that if you haven't been following this mess and don't have strong ties to UND, and someone reads the final 7 to you, you might think Sun Dogs is okay.  But among die-hard Sioux fans that have been following it, there is a visceral hatred for that nickname.

Make no mistake, I'm not advocating for Sun Dogs.  I detest it.  It's just something I've noticed in talking with people with no ties to UND.

I should have had said "some" casual observers think it's okay.  Yes, there are still plenty of casual observers that laugh at it.  I guess my point was that if you haven't been following this mess and don't have strong ties to UND, and someone reads the final 7 to you, you might think Sun Dogs is okay.  But among die-hard Sioux fans that have been following it, there is a visceral hatred for that nickname.

Make no mistake, I'm not advocating for Sun Dogs.  I detest it.  It's just something I've noticed in talking with people with no ties to UND.

My brother in law doesn't like UND athletics at all....he's loving this.   He's cheering for sundogs hard.  He wasn't invested until he heard the final 7.

Is there a date scheduled for when we can expect to see this list cut to 3?

At that point does the final vote still go to the "public"?

Beyond that, is there a rough date by when they would actually implement the name? By this football season? hockey season? Middle of a season? Next Year?

Is there a date scheduled for when we can expect to see this list cut to 3?

At that point does the final vote still go to the "public"?

Beyond that, is there a rough date by when they would actually implement the name? By this football season? hockey season? Middle of a season? Next Year?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's certain they have to cut it down to three. I thought I remember reading that the committee has the option to narrow it to four or even two if they wanted.

Wasn't the name supposed to be selected by May?

Standard joke here: Yes, they said "May" back in January, but not what year. :blink:  

• Upvote 1

I haven't noticed that whatsoever.  More people are laughing at us for these names.

While I think this list has plenty to be desired, I think as previously discussed, a ton of names would look funny.  As for people laughing at us, if names like  gophers, jackrabbits, tigers, bulldogs, huskies, etc. were on the list and not already taken, I would be laughing at them just as much.  Not many names look good when you had such a proud name like Sioux.  I always wonder how you could take pride in a mascot like gophers.   In the end, the pride is actually in the school itself and not so much the nickname -- except if you are called the Sundogs, then all pride is out the window. 

• Upvote 2

While I think this list has plenty to be desired, I think as previously discussed, a ton of names would look funny.  As for people laughing at us, if names like  gophers, jackrabbits, tigers, bulldogs, huskies, etc. were on the list and not already taken, I would be laughing at them just as much.  Not many names look good when you had such a proud name like Sioux.  I always wonder how you could take pride in a mascot like gophers.   In the end, the pride is actually in the school itself and not so much the nickname -- except if you are called the Sundogs, then all pride is out the window. 

Very true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's certain they have to cut it down to three. I thought I remember reading that the committee has the option to narrow it to four or even two if they wanted.

You are not wrong. That is correct. Kelley threw out 3 as an arbitrary number early on, and that "Burleson girl" from the Herald, as she is known by some on here, awkwardly reported it as the number that the final list would comprise.

Thankfully, Pride is actually out the window.  That would have been even worse than sundogs!

So what is the next step here?

Is there a date set for the next action?

Do we know if that action is for the committee to narrow the list further, or put it up for a vote?

Do we have any additional information on how the vote will be conducted, and if it will be limited to a certain group, or open to ALL?

This process is really dragging out, and I'm not totally understanding why?

So what is the next step here?

Is there a date set for the next action?

Do we know if that action is for the committee to narrow the list further, or put it up for a vote?

Do we have any additional information on how the vote will be conducted, and if it will be limited to a certain group, or open to ALL?

This process is really dragging out, and I'm not totally understanding why?

The next step will be to rank the names 1 to 7, my guess is that they will cut the list down finally to the final 2-4

I haven't found a date yet, but looking as to how they structure their meetings I am guessing an early July meeting, something after the 4th

I am convince we will have our 2-4 at the early July meeting that will be send to Kelley for the public vote

No, I am guessing that will be discussed at the meeting or a later July meeting. 

Welcome to the club, we all feel the same.  My prediction is the name is announced at homecoming

Welcome to the club, we all feel the same. My prediction is the name is announced at homecoming

Well that could definitely kills some of the homecoming spirit. Regardless of the outcome, there will be some upset folks.

My Personal Rankings

1/2: North Dakota - Still my favorite

1/2: NoDaks - Basically another way of using just North Dakota

3: Roughriders - Far and away, the best Non-North Dakota option

(As far as I am concerned North Dakota/NoDaks/Roughriders should be the top three.)

4: North Stars - ND is not the North Star state, but this gets ranked here by default (just look at the next three options). I would still take North Stars over Fighting Stars or Green Stars.

5: Fighting Hawks - Don't like it, but its better than Green Hawks or Sundogs

6: Green Hawks - Don't like it but its better than Sundogs

(In no way shape or form should Sundogs be an option going forward. It should have been eliminated from the initial suggestion list.)

7: Sun Dogs - No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

Lately the Herald has been publishing too many letters to the editor from people who support sundogs.

For example, one of the letter was from a u of Minnesota alum who lives in Grafton. So I got off my butt and submitted a letter last night so hopefully it gets published. If it doesn't, here is is for everyone of this forum: (special thanks to RD17 for doing the research on the institutions that usetheir state motto)

What the heck is a sundog?

I will begin this by conveying my dissatisfaction with how this entire nickname process has played out thus far. Do we really need pay consultants to help us pick a new nickname? The old saying about consultants goes something like this: “A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time, and then keeps the watch.” 

Now to my main point: Sundogs. This is a weather phenomenon that does happen in North Dakota, among other cold weather states. Sure it is kind of cool to see, but is this a name that merits the nickname of the states flagship university UND? Some have said this represents Grand Forks. This is not the University of Grand Forks so let’s think bigger than that. To me the answer is a resounding no.  I do not want my U’s nickname to be a weather phenomenon. I definitely do not want the logo to be some sort of rainbow.

There are many state universities that use their states motto as a nickname.  Of the seven names the committee and consultants deemed “popular”, there is one that does stick out. Roughriders. Which happens to be one of North Dakota’s state mottos.

A common argument is that RRHS is the Roughriders. Hazen High School is the bison, the exact same name as another major university in the state. I can live with that. Here is a list of state universities that use their state motto as their mascot:

Razorback State (Arkansas)

The Bear State (California)

Buffalo Plains State (Colorado)

Blue Hen State (Delaware)

Alligator State (Florida)

Hoosier State (Indiana)

Hawkeye State (Iowa)

Jayhawk State (Kansas)

Terrapin State (Maryland)

Wolverine State (Michigan)

Cornhusker State (Nebraska)

Tar Heel State (North Carolina)

Buckeye State (Ohio)

Sooner State (Oklahoma)

Coyote State (South Dakota)

Volunteer State (Tennessee)

Mountain State (West Virginia)

Badger State (Wisconsin)

Cowboy State (Wyoming)

I love the Fighting Sioux nickname and will continue to identify as such for quite some time, and I am happy that in the past UND was respectful enough to only use a logo.  However, we must move on for uncontrollable reasons and there are not enough pages in this fine publication to explain how we got here. If we have to pick a new nickname please pick something that I don’t have to explain every time someone asks:

“What the heck is a sundog?”

I like it!  

Go Ridas!

• Upvote 2

Lately the Herald has been publishing too many letters to the editor from people who support sundogs.

For example, one of the letter was from a u of Minnesota alum who lives in Grafton. So I got off my butt and submitted a letter last night so hopefully it gets published. If it doesn't, here is is for everyone of this forum: (special thanks to RD17 for doing the research on the institutions that usetheir state motto)

What the heck is a sundog?

I will begin this by conveying my dissatisfaction with how this entire nickname process has played out thus far. Do we really need pay consultants to help us pick a new nickname? The old saying about consultants goes something like this: “A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time, and then keeps the watch.” 

Now to my main point: Sundogs. This is a weather phenomenon that does happen in North Dakota, among other cold weather states. Sure it is kind of cool to see, but is this a name that merits the nickname of the states flagship university UND? Some have said this represents Grand Forks. This is not the University of Grand Forks so let’s think bigger than that. To me the answer is a resounding no.  I do not want my U’s nickname to be a weather phenomenon. I definitely do not want the logo to be some sort of rainbow.

There are many state universities that use their states motto as a nickname.  Of the seven names the committee and consultants deemed “popular”, there is one that does stick out. Roughriders. Which happens to be one of North Dakota’s state mottos.

A common argument is that RRHS is the Roughriders. Hazen High School is the bison, the exact same name as another major university in the state. I can live with that. Here is a list of state universities that use their state motto as their mascot:

Razorback State (Arkansas)

The Bear State (California)

Buffalo Plains State (Colorado)

Blue Hen State (Delaware)

Alligator State (Florida)

Hoosier State (Indiana)

Hawkeye State (Iowa)

Jayhawk State (Kansas)

Terrapin State (Maryland)

Wolverine State (Michigan)

Cornhusker State (Nebraska)

Tar Heel State (North Carolina)

Buckeye State (Ohio)

Sooner State (Oklahoma)

Coyote State (South Dakota)

Volunteer State (Tennessee)

Mountain State (West Virginia)

Badger State (Wisconsin)

Cowboy State (Wyoming)

I love the Fighting Sioux nickname and will continue to identify as such for quite some time, and I am happy that in the past UND was respectful enough to only use a logo.  However, we must move on for uncontrollable reasons and there are not enough pages in this fine publication to explain how we got here. If we have to pick a new nickname please pick something that I don’t have to explain every time someone asks:

“What the heck is a sundog?”

Great job!

And...Go Ridas!!

• Upvote 1