SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Goehrings inexplicable love for the Sundogs has really put the hurt on us.  Instead of debating between 2 or 3 really strong names, it appears that if we don't play defense the Sundogs will win.  An if you look at the list - What the hell?  North Stars (the motto of the state most hated by us), two types of hawks - which really have no connection to North Dakota, Nodaks (sounds almost like a slur for North Dakota residents) - instead of sharing various ideas from different perspectives, this committee appears to be a pooling of ignorance.  

Just talked to a supplier I deal with from Minneapolis and read the list of names to him.  He couldn't believe how poor of choices there are, except for Roughriders.  He thought it was odd that North Stars would be on the list, and thought the two Hawks names sounded like community college names.  He said for being one of the two big Universities in the state, they sure didn't come up with very acceptable names.  

Goehrings inexplicable love for the Sundogs has really put the hurt on us.  Instead of debating between 2 or 3 really strong names, it appears that if we don't play defense the Sundogs will win.  An if you look at the list - What the hell?  North Stars (the motto of the state most hated by us), two types of hawks - which really have no connection to North Dakota, Nodaks (sounds almost like a slur for North Dakota residents) - instead of sharing various ideas from different perspectives, this committee appears to be a pooling of ignorance.  

Then how do any of us play defense on this?  What is the correct solution.  Direct contact with committee members saying do not go with Sundogs?

Then how do any of us play defense on this?  What is the correct solution.  Direct contact with committee members saying do not go with Sundogs?

I'll tell you this, if you thought petitions and protesting was crazy for the Fighting Sioux nickname, just wait to see what happens if they somehow narrow it down so Sundogs gets picked.   I don't think most people would stand for that. 

I thought KG said that Spirit was something he liked?  I didn't see anything that he openly supported Sundogs, but even if he does, looking at the vote totals, he clearly isn't the only one.

Someone needs to e-mail PadillaCRT the link to Sundogs from urbandictionary.  Interesting, but not surprising, that they took the time to check out Roughriders but nothing else.

I've been wondering about how logo options would work for Sundogs.  Thanks for the visual............................. :glare:  :ohmy:

I thought KG said that Spirit was something he liked?  I didn't see anything that he openly supported Sundogs, but even if he does, looking at the vote totals, he clearly isn't the only one.

but it did give you a small sample size of how he sees things in this mean mean world that all full of angry mean people hurting everyone else feelings....sundogs makes him smile and warm

http://und.edu/university-public-affairs/nickname/6-15-15.cfm

In case people wanted to check out the break down of the scoring.

No names are listed, but we can figure out two of them based off of GF Herald

Some interesting tidbits that mean absolutely nothing:

One of the highest on North Stars (+7) also hated Roughriders (-2, only negative score)

The two highest on Green Hawks (+7) were not huge fans of Fighting Hawks (+4, +2)

Two of the four highest on Fighting Hawks (+7, +5) did not like Green Hawks (-1, -1)

"No Nickname" was the only choice that had three scores of 0 or lower, Green Hawks and North Stars were the only other options that had at least two while Nodaks and Fighting Hawks had no negative scores

5 committee members gave out no score of 0 or worse, 4 had one, 1 had two and 1 had three

Using an arbitrary score of "6" as strongly in favor of, Roughrider had the support of 5, Sundogs and North Stars had 4, No Nickname, Fighting Hawks and Green Hawks had 2 and Nodaks had 13

If you change that to a score of "5", North Stars had the support of 7, Roughriders and Sundogs had 5, Fighting Hawks and Green Hawks had 4 and Nodaks and No Nickname had 3.

You know, now that I think about it, UND got this process all wrong.  They should have had the same group they are going to let vote narrow the choices down to 3 or 4, then had the committee pick the name.  At least then, you wouldn't have the possibility of getting a name that just about everybody hates. 

Um, change the the letter 'a' in Nodaks to an 'I' and there are some potential issues/negative chants that can occur.

I think it was in reference to how the committee scored it, those are the only two that didn't receive a negative score from any of the members.

• Upvote 1

So looking at the screening filters on this score sheet, here are the ones that stand out to me:

-  Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND

-  Promote a sense of pride, strength, fiercness, and passion

-  Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions & heritage of the past but also looks to the future.

Can anyone one on the committee, or anyone else for that matter, honestly tell me how Fighting Hawks, Green Hawks, Nodaks, North Stars, Sundogs, and even North Dakota meet the criteria listed above? 

• Upvote 3

So looking at the screening filters on this score sheet, here are the ones that stand out to me:

-  Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions & heritage of the past but also looks to the future.

Can anyone one on the committee, or anyone else for that matter, honestly tell me how Fighting Hawks, Green Hawks, Nodaks, North Stars, Sundogs, and even North Dakota meet the criteria listed above? 

They don't meet the criteria, let's hope they stick with it.

To be honest, neither does Rough Riders.  It meets some of the criteria but not being unique. RR, Cedar Rapids, Saskatchewan., etc.

Point being that none of the nicknames meet the criteria listed.