SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Combination of that and probably Rob Port continuously voting Nodth Dakota to support his agenda.

I still haven't figured out his angle on this but his headline that "Newspaper Readers overwhelmingly Oppose New UND Nickname" is absolutely classic.  The poll was absolutely trash but regardless, 66.4% of people voted for a new nickname.  That seems to be quit opposite of his headline.  Math must be hard.

I still haven't figured out his angle on this but his headline that "Newspaper Readers overwhelmingly Oppose New UND Nickname" is absolutely classic. The poll was absolutely trash but regardless, 66.4% of people voted for a new nickname. That seems to be quit opposite of his headline. Math must be hard.

Funny thing is that he quietly changed the headline after a few commenters called him on it. At first, it read: "North Dakotans overwhelmingly Oppose New UND Nickname"

As usual in everything he does, he's just trying to click-bait as much as he can to justify advertising on his site.

• Upvote 1

Funny thing is that he quietly changed the headline after a few commenters called him on it. At first, it read: "North Dakotans overwhelmingly Oppose New UND Nickname"

As usual in everything he does, he's just trying to click-bait as much as he can to justify advertising on his site.

Didn't even catch that, but you are correct. Still an incredibly inaccurate headline but yeah, just trying to generate page views.

I think Roughriders makes the top 3.  It did receive the most votes.  I would guess Roughriders, Sundogs and Nodaks make top 3.  I can't see them keeping North Dakota as an option as that would probably run away with the vote.

They'll have to come up with some facially legitimate excuse to keep "North Dakota" off of the final 3.  The hyperventilating group clarion call to have a nickname, I think, is a resounding acknowledgment that "North Dakota" would run away with it. 

I do wish the committee would come out and say "we don't mean North Dakota as a nickname; we mean 'no nickname'". 

Why? "North Dakota" as a nickname would be in violation of the NCAA policy because Dakota is a tribe name and can not be used as a nickname. Yes, I'm harping on this point, but people need to know what the intention is, because I really don't believe they mean "North Dakota" as the nickname and should say so to be clear. 

If they just chose "Dakota" you'd have a point.  Putting redundancy aside, "North Dakota" would be fine as a nickname because it's a state.  There is no "North Dakota" tribe.  That said, they should clarify this to acknowledge what that option actually means. 

• Upvote 2

The hyperventilating group clarion call to have a nickname, I think, is a resounding acknowledgment that "North Dakota" would run away with it. 

I think it'd depend on who was allowed to vote (and how many times).  The last two polls (while a small sample size and very unscientific) have Roughriders as the favorite.  It would also depend on what other names and how many are put on the ballot, splitting the vote for those that do not want "no nickname".

If they just chose "Dakota" you'd have a point. Putting redundancy aside, "North Dakota" would be fine as a nickname because it's a state. There is no "North Dakota" tribe. That said, they should clarify this to acknowledge what that option actually means.

There's no Fighting Sioux tribe* either but that didn't work.

The < adjective > < tribe name > pattern (like Fighting Sioux, or North Dakota) as a nickname would not pass muster.

*There's Spirit Lake Sioux, and Standing Rock Sioux, and Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux, but no Fighting Sioux tribe.

I do wish the committee would come out and say "we don't mean North Dakota as a nickname; we mean 'no nickname'". 

Why? "North Dakota" as a nickname would be in violation of the NCAA policy because Dakota is a tribe name and can not be used as a nickname. Yes, I'm harping on this point, but people need to know what the intention is, because I really don't believe they mean "North Dakota" as the nickname and should say so to be clear. 

Yeah, but calling a kid Harrison Ford doesn't make him a Ford.   I'm not sure they could actually pull that one off.

I checked out the forum poll and when comparing that to the SS one one thing stands out. People really have no interest in green Hawks fighting Hawks Sundogs or Nodaks. North Stars is 3rd in both but even that is way behind. Looks to me like the popular opinion might be down to two names. Only question left would be if they eliminate just ND and what those people then vote on. These polls could mean nothing, but that caught my eye.

The popular vote is breaking to Roughriders. It should make the final three easily.

However, I just am not sure this committee will accept the will of the people.

Your last statement is the biggest issue left in this nickname eqaution and with the complete lack of leadership I have seen from anyone on this committee my opinion is the "will of the people" means little to the "we know what is best" from the committee.

I was expecting a whole lot more from Karl, Dave and Lowell.

I checked out the forum poll and when comparing that to the SS one one thing stands out. People really have no interest in green Hawks fighting Hawks Sundogs or Nodaks. North Stars is 3rd in both but even that is way behind. Looks to me like the popular opinion might be down to two names. Only question left would be if they eliminate just ND and what those people then vote on. These polls could mean nothing, but that caught my eye.

They really, really, really don't mean that much.  As I stated earlier, I saw people commenting on how many times they voted for "no nickname" and encouraged others to do the same because: "Fighting Sioux!".  Most definitely did not see that kind of manipulation for the other choices. 

Again, exactly why any public vote needs to have very tight controls.

• Upvote 3

Jim's poll in this allows for multiple selections.

At this time I see 124 members have cast 197 votes (about 1.6 votes per member). So for every 5 members, about 8 votes have been tossed in. 

Anyone else interested in what "one choice only, live with it forever" poll results would look like?  

I am hoping that no name or "North Dakota" is left off the final names that get voted on.  If it is Roughriders against any other name, I think that Roughriders wins without a doubt.  If North Dakota is in there, it could be close.  We need a decisive super majority type of numbers for a new nickname. If 2/3 of the votes are for one name, thatn I would say that is pretty unifying. 

• Upvote 3

Then how do any of us play defense on this?  What is the correct solution.  Direct contact with committee members saying do not go with Sundogs?

Bu supporting the Roughriders even if you don't like it much (like me) - seems the least offensive of the lot

Does it seem so incredibly painful that if they go with the easy, lame and unoriginal Roughriders, like has been talked about for so many years....

That this whole god forsaken process was a magnanimous waste of time, money, and resources?

I mean really we are coming down to....for all the time and money spent,

Either pilfering a used nickname form a high school down the street, or just not even picking one.

The lessons on failure here should be taught in every school in the state, from elementary to MBAs

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Does it seem so incredibly painful that if they go with the easy, lame and unoriginal Roughriders, like has been talked about for so many years....

That this whole god forsaken process was a magnanimous waste of time, money, and resources?

I mean really we are coming down to....for all the time and money spent,

Either pilfering a used nickname form a high school down the street, or just not even picking one.

The lessons on failure here should be taught in every school in the state, from elementary to MBAs

I really didn't expect anything more. It is what happens when you try to be all inclusive and let everyone have a voice.

I guess I'm in agreement with RD17 when he said here, " ... Roughriders as the top choice because it is the only name that makes sense." 

That's why it's easy. "Lame and unoriginal" are your opinion. 

However, I will agree with you on one point: Taking a decade plus to end up with the obvious is a waste of time and money. 

• Upvote 2

I really didn't expect anything more. It is what happens when you try to be all inclusive and let everyone have a voice.

Pretty much any time you try to do something "by committee" you end up with the obvious at 10x price.