SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

So basically, just so everyone understands, a state with "no affiliation" with TR's Roughriders has been flying a replica of the Roughrider battle flag as the State flag for over 100 years.

I guess bringing North Dakota Roughriders teams onto the playing surface led by the State flag ... would make complete historic sense.

• Upvote 1

Those of you championing Roosevelt will be disappointed when you notice that ship has sailed.  "Rough Riders" (affiliation to Teddy) was eliminated 2 rounds ago.  On the other hand, "Roughriders" (general term) is the option you are left with.  These branding people have already safeguarded against the idea of being tied to Teddy imagery should this nickname win somehow.

"The regiment was presented with three different mascots that represented the Rough Riders: a mountain lion by the name of Josephine that was brought to Tampa by some troops from Arizona, a war eagle named in Colonel Roosevelt's honor brought in by some New Mexican troops, and lastly a small dog by the name of Cuba who had been brought along on the journey overseas."

All those would be hits.  

Though the mountain lion might eat some of the small children we're trying to entertain.  :p

Those of you championing Roosevelt will be disappointed when you notice that ship has sailed.  "Rough Riders" (affiliation to Teddy) was eliminated 2 rounds ago.  On the other hand, "Roughriders" (general term) is the option you are left with.  These branding people have already safeguarded against the idea of being tied to Teddy imagery should this nickname win somehow.

Red River spells it Roughriders and uses Roosevelt imagery as do the Frisco RoughRiders (who seem to use a hybrid spelling of the two, one word but capitalize both R's).

Also, the committee has the power to make slight adjustments as they see fit to any remaining finalists (such as changing "North Stars" to "Stars", etc)

Red River spells it Roughriders and uses Roosevelt imagery as do the Frisco RoughRiders (who seem to use a hybrid spelling of the two, one word but capitalize both R's).

Also, the committee has the power to make slight adjustments as they see fit to any remaining finalists (such as changing "North Stars" to "Stars", etc)

The state has the Rough Rider Award, but identifies as the Roughrider State and has the Roughrider Room in the Capitol.

You think removing "North" is a slight adjustment?

This will strike fear in opponents.

Sundog.jpg

I don't like Sun Dogs as much as anyone but this wlole idea of a nickname instilling fear in opponents has me intrigued. Does that really even happen because of a nickname or is it the calibre of play from one's opponents that instills the fear or lack there of? I mean c'mon, Gophers? Jackrabbits? I'm shaking in my boots at the mere sound of them! ?

• Upvote 2

I don't like Sun Dogs as much as anyone but this wlole idea of a nickname instilling fear in opponents has me intrigued. Does that really even happen because of a nickname or is it the calibre of play from one's opponents that instills the fear or lack there of? I mean c'mon, Gophers? Jackrabbits? I'm shaking in my boots at the mere sound of them!

Maybe not fear, but respect.  I remember when opposing players were questioned on their favorite logo.  Hands down, Sioux won.  Now, I'm not expecting to maintain the respect and honor of the Sioux nickname.  But I'd prefer to not be at the bottom of the 'favorite logo' pile.

I don't like Sun Dogs as much as anyone but this wlole idea of a nickname instilling fear in opponents has me intrigued. Does that really even happen because of a nickname or is it the calibre of play from one's opponents that instills the fear or lack there of? I mean c'mon, Gophers? Jackrabbits? I'm shaking in my boots at the mere sound of them!

Exactly.   A nickname won't instill fear in opponents.   I think the value in a good nickname is it gives an identity that the fans of that team can rally around, or in current terms "they can identify as...." something they very much like, respect, feel proud of.

Part of that, as keikla says, is being proud of the imagery.   That's part of being proud of the association with the nickname/logo.

Maybe not fear, but respect.  I remember when opposing players were questioned on their favorite logo.  Hands down, Sioux won.  Now, I'm not expecting to maintain the respect and honor of the Sioux nickname.  But I'd prefer to not be at the bottom of the 'favorite logo' pile.

I hear what you are saying, though, it's a rare goopher or Bizo fan that respects anything about UND, even when we were under the Fighting Sioux flag. I don't respect those nicknames I referenced in my previous comment, either. I think they are laughable.... as bad as Sun Dogs, and if they had not been taken and had they been proposed by the current committee, they'd be getting the same treatment as Sun Dogs on here and other places.

to strike fear was mostly in jest but a name should be something to rally around.  Weather events don't rate very high with me.

Great idea!

tr1.jpg

Oh, wait...I got the battle flag of the Roughriders confused with the North Dakota state flag here!

nunst056.gif

My bad.

Go Ridas!

OK, so where's the UND green ("pantone 347" is the official shade) version of that flag with the bottom words being "University of North Dakota".