SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

I originally had Roughriders, Cavalry and Explorers as my top 3.  While I would be ecstatic if Ridazzz was chosen, I think I could live with Fighting Hawks and Nodaks as long as the logos were quality.  I'm still torn on North Stars.  I think it would be accepted over time but there would be some backlash at first from Minnesotans.  Sundogs, remaining North Dakota and Green Hawks don't really do it for me although I could eventually live with Green Hawks.

Pretty much my exact thinking. I liked the people (Riders, Cavs, X-men) as the top 3, now leaving Roughriders as a clear favorite for me. I similarly don't love North Stars because it's the wrong state, but could come to live with it (in that no one outside of Minnesota/North Dakota knows that, and once UND had coopted it for some time it would stop seeming weird).

• Upvote 3

So you are saying that ticking off Gopher fans is a bad idea?  Anything that gets under their skin is a positive, IMHO. :)

Besides, we could use just "Stars" without the directional abjective in front of it and it probably would STILL tick them off! :p

For the record, I voted Roughriders in the poll and I think that is what it will end up being.

Doing it for that sole intent is a bad idea, Yes. If it was a different name that made sense, then go for it; but being the Northstars, when we are not the Northstar state, just makes us look dumb, and completely incapable of coming up with our own name.

Just Stars, could not be more boring; and Stars is not on the list, Northstars is.

For the record I agree, Roughriders, but I do still like North Dakota or NoDaks.

Pretty much my exact thinking. I liked the people (Riders, Cavs, X-men) as the top 3, now leaving Roughriders as a clear favorite for me. I similarly don't love North Stars because it's the wrong state, but could come to live with it (in that no one outside of Minnesota/North Dakota knows that, and once UND had coopted it for some time it would stop seeming weird).

Do you think Minnesota fans would let us forget we stole their motto?  It's on their state flag!  Pretty sure the UM would take every chance to remind us and others that UND took their nickname from their state...

I don't really want to cheer for Hawks, but I could do it.  Same goes for Sundogs.  But I gag every time I think of cheering for the North Stars.  Loved the pro team, love the name in general, but it's the MINNESOTA (not north dakota) state nickname.  I don't understand why it's even in contention.

I've already stated my complete displeasure with North Stars, but would still take that over Sun Dogs. It would be one of the worst nickname concepts in the NCAA.

Remember, variations on names could come into play here.  :"Stars" without the "North" in front of it might be what is being considered here.  But that is just pure speculation; I have no contacts on the Committee (maybe gfhockey does though! :p).

Didn't realize that. Still hate Stars.

Remember, variations on names could come into play here.  :"Stars" without the "North" in front of it might be what is being considered here.  But that is just pure speculation; I have no contacts on the Committee (maybe gfhockey does though! :p).

So you're saying Green Stars is still possible?  Ooooh, what about Green Star Hawks. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sensing that the main opposition to Roughriders is coming from those that either grew up in GF or currently live there due to the high school.

As a relative outsider, I'm guessing that most "stakeholders" across the state and country aren't concerned about it. As long as North Dakota isn't one of the final 3, I think Roughriders will win in a landslide.

It may not be unique to GF, but would be virtually everywhere else.

You are assuming Ridas is in the top 3 at the end............from what I have seen and heard the consulting firm will make it's best pitch to make sure that isn't the case and unfortunately I don't see enough people on the committee with the stones to disagree with what the consultants are pushing.

"Here come your UND Fighting Green Sundogs"..............

I'm sensing that the main opposition to Roughriders is coming from those that either grew up in GF or currently live there due to the high school.

As a relative outsider, I'm guessing that most "stakeholders" across the state and country aren't concerned about it. As long as North Dakota isn't one of the final 3, I think Roughriders will win in a landslide.

It may not be unique to GF, but would be virtually everywhere else.

You are absolutely correct.

I have been pretty outspoken with the Rough Rider nickname solely on the points you made in your post.  However, I could definitely live with that nickname if ND, NS, and Nodaks are not one of the finalists.  And I wouldn't complain, I'd jump on the bandwagon instantly. :)

You are assuming Ridas is in the top 3 at the end............from what I have seen and heard the consulting firm will make it's best pitch to make sure that isn't the case and unfortunately I don't see enough people on the committee with the stones to disagree with what the consultants are pushing.

I nominate Oxbow to be the proactive ss member and fill in the consultant on the other meaning of sundogging. If the consultant can have the overriding vote on Roughriders, they should be able to veto Sundogs.

• Upvote 1

Doing it for that sole intent is a bad idea, Yes. If it was a different name that made sense, then go for it; but being the Northstars, when we are not the Northstar state, just makes us look dumb, and completely incapable of coming up with our own name.

Just Stars, could not be more boring; and Stars is not on the list, Northstars is.

For the record I agree, Roughriders, but I do still like North Dakota or NoDaks.

To your point, going with just North Dakota or Nodaks would be equally self-depricating, in that UND can't even come up with a real nickname, but can only re-use the state name, or worse yet, can't even use the whole name and have to shorten it to something that will make us look dumb and unimaginative.

I nominate Oxbow to be the proactive ss member and fill in the consultant on the other meaning of sundogging. If the consultant can have the overriding vote on Roughriders, they should be able to veto Sundogs.

is it just me or do i find it very offensive that this consulting group is telling US that our award that we give to the best north dakota citizens is offensive??? i think they just wanna keep on keeping on with the "insert school color" and add hawk formula that has made them big money because of the pc police....

Someone needs to e-mail PadillaCRT the link to Sundogs from urbandictionary.  Interesting, but not surprising, that they took the time to check out Roughriders but nothing else.