SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Although it's not an apples to apples comparison, look at what happened in Idaho with the University of Idaho and Boise St.  At one time, Boise State was a junior college.  Boise is the largest city in Idaho and used that to it's advantage in gaining sponsorship's, focusing on sports, etc.  Are they the best University in the Idaho?  Academically no, but athletically, yes.  Does this mean UND should sell out and focus only on athletics, of course not.  But if we continue to be oblivious to what Fargo and NDSU are doing, we may end up in a similar scenario.  NDSU has a lot of momentum in gaining fans around the state.  Many people feel they can support UND hockey while supporting NDSU athletics since NDSU doesn't sponsor hockey.  Our Athletic Department needs to realize this and start promoting and supporting all of our athletic teams better.

i do think instead of a meaningless (albeit profitable) game versus u of manitoba to start the season at REA play in rotation among bismarck, williston, and minot to reach out to that side of the state?

and one bball game...instead of at the betty versus dickinson state...have it at the bismarck civic center versus dickinson state???

and maybe the spring football game rotating around the state at a high school field..maybe starting out in Zeeland/Strasburg, ND?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So where do some of our players rank amongst other Big Sky players at their positions? Just curious as is an interesting topic.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say all 4 of UND's starting linebackers could be a top 10 Big Sky player at their position, with ILB Will Ratelle being in the running for the top linebacker in the entire Big Sky Conference.

S Cole Reyes is a top 10 safety in the BSC.

LG Brandon Anderson is a top 10 offensive lineman in the BSC.

A lot of players in line this season to possibly make the top 10. Players that come to mind are RB Ja'Won Arrington, TE Zach Adler, WR Clive Georges, DE Dranka, DE Carrothers, DE Greeley, NT Hinojosa, CB Deion Harris, CB Chris Carter, and S Johnson. The potential is thick with the defense, and the hope is the FBS transfers at RB and WR (Arrington and Georges) translate into top BSC players at their position.

Probably the most important potential question is at quarterback. If one of UND's quarterbacks can break into the top 10 that would go a long ways towards success.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say all 4 of UND's starting linebackers could be a top 10 Big Sky player at their position, with ILB Will Ratelle being in the running for the top linebacker in the entire Big Sky Conference.

S Cole Reyes is a top 10 safety in the BSC.

LG Brandon Anderson is a top 10 offensive lineman in the BSC.

A lot of players in line this season to possibly make the top 10. Players that come to mind are RB Ja'Won Arrington, TE Zach Adler, WR Clive Georges, DE Dranka, DE Carrothers, DE Greeley, NT Hinojosa, CB Deion Harris, CB Chris Carter, and S Johnson. The potential is thick with the defense, and the hope is the FBS transfers at RB and WR (Arrington and Georges) translate into top BSC players at their position.

Probably the most important potential question is at quarterback. If one of UND's quarterbacks can break into the top 10 that would go a long ways towards success.

With 13 teams in the conference, I'd set a goal this season for the starting quarterback to break into the top 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Bubba was on Tim and Swyg this morning.  Sounds like pretty much the whole team plus around 10 incoming players are going to be in town for the summer.  Glad to see those numbers at where they need to be.

It's 'Optional'......wink, wink.

• Upvote 2

I suggest you book your rooms for Laramie now.  I tried to get the Hampton and garden inn. Both booked solid.  I'm staying in Cheyenne about 50 miles away.  Friday is a monster truck deal and a josh brown or some cowboy singer giving a concert Friday or sat.   look like a big party.  

I suggest you book your rooms for Laramie now.  I tried to get the Hampton and garden inn. Both booked solid.  I'm staying in Cheyenne about 50 miles away.  Friday is a monster truck deal and a josh brown or some cowboy singer giving a concert Friday or sat.   look like a big party.  

Start of football season is a big deal apparently.  http://visitlaramie.org/event/cowboy-kickoff-concert-pep-rally/?instance_id=25098

Start of football season is a big deal apparently.  http://visitlaramie.org/event/cowboy-kickoff-concert-pep-rally/?instance_id=25098

Concert and game ticket $60.00, might have to bump ahead the departure time for the RV.  14 hour drive from Fargo, not too bad.

Good for them in hyping up the opener with a creative event......maybe we can learn something from this.

• Downvote 1

What are the odds some chuckle-head there, in an official capacity (not some random fan), still refers to UND under the old nickname to make their "Cowboy Kickoff" more "Cowboys and ... ". 

If they are anything like the renegades down at Texas Tech, the odds are pretty good.  TT didn't give two sh*ts about our nickname or the controversy surrounding it.  Neither did their student section.

• 2 weeks later...