SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Brian Kelly, head coach at Notre Dame, is limiting where Everett Gohlston can transfer to:

"Former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson won’t be lining up under center for the Fighting Irish in 2015, and according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman, he won’t be lining up on the other side of the field from them either. Feldman is reporting Sunday night that Notre Dame is not granting a release for Golson to play at any of the schools on the team’s 2015 schedule, along with “several” Big Ten teams."

It appears that what Bohl has done is standard operating procedure for coaches.

There aren't many FBS programs that would limit their players playing time at an FCS school.

The second part of this, taking the schools on Notre Dames schedule off the list and the SEC due to transfer rules, any chance Golston ends up at Oregon?

There aren't many FBS programs that would limit their players playing time at an FCS school.

The second part of this, taking the schools on Notre Dames schedule off the list and the SEC due to transfer rules, any chance Golston ends up at Oregon?

Do we know for a fact that there aren't many FBS schools that would limit their players playing time at an FCS school? This may be true, but just wondering if you know this for a fact.

Because 2 of the biggest dickheads in college football do it, it's standard operating procedure?

It may be, but please do not use those 2 as a standard. Both are complete arrogant asses.

Both are arrogant asses to be sure, but that doesn't mean it is not standard operating procedure. Here is another example... not apples to apples because both schools are FBS, but it's clear that coaches can and do do this across the country:

"Wes Lunt was the starting quarterback for Oklahoma State last season, but he decided to transfer due to poor communication regarding the quarterback situation, according to Joe Schad of ESPN.

Lunt's transfer options were extremely limited. According to Kerker, Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy wasn't going to allow him to play for a Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC school. He was also banned from playing for Southern Miss, which is now coached by Todd Monken, the former offensive coordinator for Oklahoma State."

By the way... I'm not saying any of this type of behavior is right. It's not in the best interest of the student athletes and it should be stopped.

I know you're not, and I wasn't trying to come down on you. 

And yes, 2 totally different situations.....but....

Just repeating what everyone already knows.  Those 2 are both douchebags.

I know this'll be crazy talk, but what if a kid wanted to transfer because he changed majors and the school he wants to go to is the best in that field? 

Coach: Nope, you can't go to the best < college major here > school in the country because you might chuck a pigskin for them too! < banjo music here > 

But, let's not make it too easy for kids to transfer because it will essentially turn into free agency.....in a way.  These are adults, signing a contract, and it should be difficult to drop school A and play for school B.  Do we want more guidance from the NCAA on this, or should players expect to honor a commitment or face pretty harsh consequences in some instances.  Just a thought -

For UND, Neverman situation sucks and so does Troy Hanson and his decision.  I assume Troy is done with his college eligibility??

• Upvote 1

But, let's not make it too easy for kids to transfer because it will essentially turn into free agency.....in a way. 

The rules already are in place:

- FBS to FBS you are ineligible for a year

- FBS to FCS you are immediately eligible

- if you have your degree and eligibility left, you can start grad school wherever you choose

For UND, Neverman situation sucks and so does Troy Hanson and his decision.  I assume Troy is done with his college eligibility??

Troy Hanson? Why? He's not going to major juniors (considered a professional league by the NCAA). He's going to a Canadian college, right? 

The rules already are in place:

- FBS to FBS you are ineligible for a year

- FBS to FCS you are immediately eligible

- if you have your degree and eligibility left, you can start grad school wherever you choose

As to the second example, that should probably be prefaced with a "usually" or "generally", thanks to the "release" requirement. Prior to a few months ago, I suspect most probably assumed that was just a formality.  :whistling:

Troy Hanson? Why? He's not going to major juniors (considered a professional league by the NCAA). He's going to a Canadian college, right? 

I don't know much about the Canadian system.  He broke a NLI with a US College.  Are you saying he can play a year in Canada and transfer to anywhere he wants from there?

I don't know much about the Canadian system.  He broke a NLI with a US College.  Are you saying he can play a year in Canada and transfer to anywhere he wants from there?

I defer to anyone who knows those details. :) 

But, let's not make it too easy for kids to transfer because it will essentially turn into free agency.....in a way. These are adults, signing a contract, and it should be difficult to drop school A and play for school B. Do we want more guidance from the NCAA on this, or should players expect to honor a commitment or face pretty harsh consequences in some instances. Just a thought -

For UND, Neverman situation sucks and so does Troy Hanson and his decision. I assume Troy is done with his college eligibility??

If they played at least their year, as scholarships are renewed every year, and schools can drop the players scholarship, then they should be free to move if things aren't what they thought. If they transfer, then yes they should sit a year in those FBS>FBS transfers, but don't lose year of eligibility. But in cases of FBS>FCS or graduate and transfer to another school, their definitely should be no restrictions. And this is where the NCAA fails the "student-athlete" again.

But, let's not make it too easy for kids to transfer because it will essentially turn into free agency.....in a way.  These are adults, signing a contract, and it should be difficult to drop school A and play for school B.  Do we want more guidance from the NCAA on this, or should players expect to honor a commitment or face pretty harsh consequences in some instances.  Just a thought -

I agree with Gundy to a point. Players should expect to abide by the NLI they sign, and it probably shouldn't be easy to back out of it - at any point.

But:

• If the institutions are only on the hook for scholarships one year at a time, why is the athlete expected to commit for the duration of their remaining college years?
  • Many of the athletes aren't legal adults at the time they sign the NLI. They can't yet vote, but we hold them to a binding agreement.
  • Coaches come and go, promises are made and broken, and playing situations change dramatically (see Neverman and Bohl) - and only one party in the agreement is held to their promise.

Like most complex things in life, there are no easy answers - but systems that don't balance the interests of all the parties tend to break down over time.

I am more than a bit concerned with RB depth this fall, is Cedric Simmons still around or is it down to Arrington, kyle, and Olivera?

Simmons injury was a career ender. 

I'm hoping that the FBS well that we're looking at isn't dry.  Haven't heard any news on that front about the couple that the staff was after for a while.