SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Sure an FBS transfer or JUCO may be able to come in and help a team immediately but that is not a guarantee. I understand why coaches keep this option open with the hope to fill some immediate gap but I agree that quality recruiting and then more importantly developing players when they get into the program is the most important. Likewise, all the talk about incoming recruits paying right away is just as unlikely. Sure there may be 2 or 3 that get some playing time but that typically doesn't happen, especially in a D-1 program. The game is faster, players are bigger and competition is greater than most have experienced in any high school environment. Support should be given to all players.

UND - not including the incoming freshmen - has only 2 RBs and 3 CBs available for 2015. That is not going to work if UND wants to compete with the best of the Big Sky Conference; therefore, before depth is created with a couple more years of quality HS recruiting, FBS transfers need to be considered.

Sam Houston likes fbs transfers, Towson likes fbs transfers, Illinois state likes fbs transfers ! See a trend?

Playoff teams? ;)

Short-term? UND needs transfers to fill some gaps left by the pre-Bubba regime.

Long-term? It's better to recruit and develop talent within your systems.

• Upvote 1

Sam Houston likes fbs transfers, Towson likes fbs transfers, Illinois state likes fbs transfers ! See a trend?

In the short term, if UND can get to the National Championship with 2-3 transfers per year, I will take it.  

I really think we are expecting way too much performance out of the FBS drop downs.   These guys aren't going to be second stringers from Alabama, they will be guys who couldn't cut it on mediocre FBS teams.   These are FBS teams that aren't much better than us, we are getting are getting the scrapings that failed.    I just don't see FBS transfers as being the magic bullet that others do.

I'd rather recruit and retain top notch kids out of high school and build the program right from the get go.   Think about it, can you really succeed with kids that couldn't hack it elsewhere?    And yes, I want to win immediately just as much as anyone but I'm not betting on transfers being able to do it.    That said, I think we can make the playoffs this year with what we have.   Just gotta do it.

You realize UND signed 27 high school kids last year, right?  I believe they are doing it right and doing the exact same thing pretty much every college coach in America does when he takes over a program.  Trim the fat, recruit hard, and fills in the gaps until the high school kids take over spots themselves.

Those FBS transfers were vital to UND's defense being #1 in the Big Sky last year.  If Bubba thinks he needs to get 2-3 FBS transfers/year for a few years, I have no problem with it.

One of the coaches stated that they are going to be relying less on Juco's as the years go on, to the point where there are maybe 1 in the whole class.  Meaning they are building up their roster with upper midwest high school kids to be the future of the UND program.

As far as the FBS kids not being able to "hack it", most all FBS transfers played somewhat at their previous school but didn't start.  So they want to start.  Big Ten 2nd-3rd stringers are better than UND's first stringers at many positions right now.

All teams that lost to NDSU?

Given what UND has produced since being DI and in the BSC, you'd be insane not to respect and want to emulate National runner-up status. Most UND fans would love to see home playoff games in the Alerus just to end up short and end up losing in the NC game. It's certainly better than losing seasons every year. A few FBS transfers a year until the roster is better filled in with Bubba's recruits is a must. Give Bubba 4 years so that all the players on the roster are players he has recruited. His emphasis on local recruiting will mean there will be very few defections; thus, his seniors will be 4-year system guys and that will produce more wins than anything. By 2017, UND should easily be competing for BSC titles.

At the risk of speaking for TRex here, I don't think his point was so much a debate about the value of high schoolers vs transfers.  I took his point to be a comment on the opinions which appeared to assign a very critical role in the success of the 2015 team onto a transfer.

At the risk of speaking for TRex here, I don't think his point was so much a debate about the value of high schoolers vs transfers.  I took his point to be a comment on the opinions which appeared to assign a very critical role in the success of the 2015 team onto a transfer.

He didn't mention 2015 anywhere in his post.  It was an overall philosophy opinion, which is fine.  

We very much need to count on those FBS transfers and I personally do place importance on them based on the fact most everyone of them is better than anything we got right now at said position.  

Last year they went 2 for 2.  If Georges and Arrington can both play significant roles this year they will be 4 for 4 in bringing in FBS players that made a positive difference.  

The Juco's on the other hand have been a disappointment.  J. Johnson appears to be a stud but the rest have been mediocre to bad, thus far.

He didn't mention 2015 anywhere in his post. It was an overall philosophy opinion, which is fine.

We very much need to count on those FBS transfers and I personally do place importance on them based on the fact most everyone of them is better than anything we got right now at said position.

Last year they went 2 for 2. If Georges and Arrington can both play significant roles this year they will be 4 for 4 in bringing in FBS players that made a positive difference.

The Juco's on the other hand have been a disappointment. J. Johnson appears to be a stud but the rest have been mediocre to bad, thus far.

That LB from Kansas was a bust, big time.

To an extent, you are right.   What I was trying to get across was that everyone thinks FBS transfers are going to come in here and turn us into an FCS superpower in one year.   It doesn't work that way.

To an extent, you are right. What I was trying to get across was that everyone thinks FBS transfers are going to come in here and turn us into an FCS superpower in one year. It doesn't work that way.

See Tre Roberson, QB, Illinois State

Point is, it can happen. But I agree with you in that I don't see it happening for UND. They likely won't find an FBS transfer thats has All-America ability, but who knows.

Arrington and Georges, the two FBS transfers already on the team, have the potential to be the top two players in the offense this season; therefore, it's not too far fetched to expect decent things from FBS transfers.

To an extent, you are right. What I was trying to get across was that everyone thinks FBS transfers are going to come in here and turn us into an FCS superpower in one year. It doesn't work that way.

I read most comments as posters saying we need some immediate contributors to be competitive in the tougher games on our schedule next season.

I also think getting full buy in by the players on the importance of staying together for summer will make a difference. It has been a number of years since that happened.

I read most comments as posters saying we need some immediate contributors to be competitive in the tougher games on our schedule next season.

I also think getting full buy in by the players on the importance of staying together for summer will make a difference. It has been a number of years since that happened.

Exactly.  I don't believe anybody has ever stated they think the FBS transfers will become All Americans.  I personally just want them to better than what we have at that position.  

UND football isn't a transfer haven team like the basketball team is, Bubba is doing it right by having a few transfers but recruit the majority of players from high school. All schools (including NDSU) have transfers so this is nothing new except the amount compared to the Muss era.

I can see the points that others have made about FBS transfers, and you are right, they do have a place.   I just want to get to playoffs, and I don't care how we do it.   I've always scaled back my optimism to 7-4 and hopefully that gets us in.   Loses against WY, NDSU, MT, and CP.

I can see the points that others have made about FBS transfers, and you are right, they do have a place. I just want to get to playoffs, and I don't care how we do it. I've always scaled back my optimism to 7-4 and hopefully that gets us in. Loses against WY, NDSU, MT, and CP.

I also am hoping for 7-4, but that would require going undefeated at home. That will require an active fan base that attends the games well. Winning a big early game, like Wyoming or NDSU, would do that. Of course, just always winning at home will do it also. If UND wouldve beat Montana last season, in the nail biter that it was, I think attendance would've boosted nicely. Same thing goes for the home games this season: just win and attendance will increase. Winning one of the four tough road games (Wyoming, NDSU, Montana, or Cal Poly) would go a long ways towards increasing attendance and playoff chances.

Brian Kelly, head coach at Notre Dame, is limiting where Everett Gohlston can transfer to:

"Former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson won’t be lining up under center for the Fighting Irish in 2015, and according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman, he won’t be lining up on the other side of the field from them either. Feldman is reporting Sunday night that Notre Dame is not granting a release for Golson to play at any of the schools on the team’s 2015 schedule, along with “several” Big Ten teams."

It appears that what Bohl has done is standard operating procedure for coaches.

Brian Kelly, head coach at Notre Dame, is limiting where Everett Gohlston can transfer to:

"Former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson won’t be lining up under center for the Fighting Irish in 2015, and according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman, he won’t be lining up on the other side of the field from them either. Feldman is reporting Sunday night that Notre Dame is not granting a release for Golson to play at any of the schools on the team’s 2015 schedule, along with “several” Big Ten teams."

Because 2 of the biggest dickheads in college football do it, it's standard operating procedure? 

It may be, but please do not use those 2 as a standard.  Both are complete arrogant asses.

Interesting that Golson is graduating and they are still limiting his options that much.  Nor is it even remotely the same situation as Nevermann's as he was a walk-on player at WYO and is transferring down a level.