SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Wow they have small LBs. Their ends aren't very big either. I hope our hogs can push them around.

Also have to think that having a tall cornering Harris will come in handy against their 6'6" WR.

Don't get too confident; they likely have a ton of speed, which works out nicely in the Tampa 2 defense they run.

Big thing will be depth: does Wyoming have more depth than us? Most likely, but it may be closer than one would think. If UND can grab a couple FBS transfers and further develop their depth, it will bode well in this matchup.

If we can run at them with success then speed doesn't mean anything. And it is Wyoming we're talking about, they aren't exactly world beaters. It will be a different animal when we play Utah and Washington.

O-Line is still a work in progress. Do you remember how well UND ran the ball versus Wyoming's conference mate San Jose State last season? Not very good. Point is, UND's offense did nothing last year to make me believe - hands down - that UND will be able to just "pound" the football down Wyoming's throat. UND will need a whole lot of offensive line improvement for that. I hope UND's running attack/O-line will be much improved this season, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for UND's defense, I do believe that UND will be able to handle Wyoming's offense for the most part. But how many points will UND's offense be able to muster?

• Upvote 1

O-Line is still a work in progress. Do you remember how well UND ran the ball versus Wyoming's conference mate San Jose State last season? Not very good. Point is, UND's offense did nothing last year to make me believe - hands down - that UND will be able to just "pound" the football down Wyoming's throat. UND will need a whole lot of offensive line improvement for that. I hope UND's running attack/O-line will be much improved this season, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for UND's defense, I do believe that UND will be able to handle Wyoming's offense for the most part. But how many points will UND's offense be able to muster?

I agree with you, Wyoming is going to be a tough game.   Every year a few people here, including geaux_sioux think the FB team has progressed to the point of being the greatest thing to ever grace the end zone, only to be proven wrong.   With the QB situation, and really the whole offense still a big question mark, I don't see WY as being a win.   I still think-hope-demand we make the playoffs, but this first game is probably a loss.   To pretend that we are going to go into Laramie and push these guys around is unrealistic, even for geuax sioux.   

I want an FBS win as bad as anyone, but won't happen here.    Main focus should be getting to 8-3 and the playoffs.   Anything less is not a successful season.

Main focus should be getting to 8-3 and the playoffs.   Anything less is not a successful season.

Seriously?  Losses to Wyoming and NDSU, and getting thru the BSC schedule with only two losses wouldn't be a successful season?  Ummm, OK.

Bohl's defense at NDSU never really had big defensive ends either. His system looks for the DEs to get up field and cause havoc. Average sized but quick DE is more valued. 

A huge key to Bohl's system, and the Tampa 2, is the MLB and the safeties. NDSU has had those three positions very solid for at least the last five years and that's been a big part of their success. How well Bohl's Wyoming MLB and safeties understand the Tampa 2 system and responsibilities will determine how successful that defense is. 

• Upvote 1

Bohl's defense at NDSU never really had big defensive ends either. His system looks for the DEs to get up field and cause havoc. Average sized but quick DE is more valued.

A huge key to Bohl's system, and the Tampa 2, is the MLB and the safeties. NDSU has had those three positions very solid for at least the last five years and that's been a big part of their success. How well Bohl's Wyoming MLB and safeties understand the Tampa 2 system and responsibilities will determine how successful that defense is.

I'd be confident in saying that I bet WYs MLB couldn't even carry NDSUs MLBs jock strap. DeLuca is a monster.

I have a feeling that bohl's defense will be much improved over last year. Regardless of the skill of their defense, ours will simply need to be better in all facets. 

Honestly I don't see a win here. I would like to see our team play fundamentally well and keep it close, but if it is close in the 4th quarter then anything can happen. Also, don't mistake this assessment with being happy with mediocrity, but rather I am just being realistic with the state of our (improving) program.  

This is an intriguing matchup between two teams with 2nd year coaches so I am just looking forward to seeing this play out in person. Outside of NoCo this is a rare opportunity for me to make a day trip to see the team in person.

I agree with your assessment of Bohl's version of the Tampa 2 defense. On that note, the two-deep that Wyoming just released has their two starting safeties as freshman and their starting MLB as a player from Germany who played TE last season. Given that information, I don't expect Wyoming to field anything close to resembling a dominating defense.

Although an FBS transfer or two this summer could change things, UND's offense is going to be average at best this season. The key, like Geaux_Sioux said, is how UND goes about moving it. If they can run the ball downhill, it will compliment UNDs defense well enough that it could lead to several wins.

I expect the UND-Wyoming game to be close. Wyoming is by no means a top Mountain West Conference program yet, so UND should be able to compete.

I agree with your assessment of Bohl's version of the Tampa 2 defense. On that note, the two-deep that Wyoming just released has their two starting safeties as freshman and their starting MLB as a player from Germany who played TE last season. Given that information, I don't expect Wyoming to field anything close to resembling a dominating defense.

Although an FBS transfer or two this summer could change things, UND's offense is going to be average at best this season. The key, like Geaux_Sioux said, is how UND goes about moving it. If they can run the ball downhill, it will compliment UNDs defense well enough that it could lead to several wins.

I expect the UND-Wyoming game to be close. Wyoming is by no means a top Mountain West Conference program yet, so UND should be able to compete.

I don't believe an FBS transfer to Wyoming would be eligible right away unless he had already graduated.

I don't believe an FBS transfer to Wyoming would be eligible right away unless he had already graduated.

In reference to the post you're concerned about, the introductory clause "Although an FBS transfer or two this summer could change things" precedes the sentence's subject "UND's offense"; so yes, I was referring to UND receiving an FBS transfer and not Wyoming. Bubba is actively looking for an FBS transfer (or two) at RB and CB, among a few other positions.

As optimistic as I am, given the continued state of flux that the offense is in there is no way I could say with a straight face that the Wyoming game is one of the "winnable" ones on the 2015 schedule.  If I am wrong, I'll gladly eat crow.

Having said that, I certainly don't expect a lop sided outcome similar to the one that San Jose St. put us in last year's opener. 

This season will be a telling season on how far we have developed as a D1 talent.   I believe we have a chance to make the playoffs and make a run for the Big Sky title.  Both will require luck as far as injuries.  But more importantly how much we have progressed from last year.  We could end up a 5-6 or 8-3 year.

Counting on winning

Drake

UC Davis

Portland St

N Colorado

Need to win these to have a chance at playoffs or title run

Mont State

Weber

Idaho St

Absolutely need to win one of the following to make playoffs or title run

Wyoming

NDSU

Montana

Cal Poly

I believe we will end up at 6-5 or 7-4.  7-4 season will be hard to achieve and 8-3 will be fantastic. 

Any idea when we can expect to hear more on potential FBS transfers?

I really think we are expecting way too much performance out of the FBS drop downs.   These guys aren't going to be second stringers from Alabama, they will be guys who couldn't cut it on mediocre FBS teams.   These are FBS teams that aren't much better than us, we are getting are getting the scrapings that failed.    I just don't see FBS transfers as being the magic bullet that others do.

I'd rather recruit and retain top notch kids out of high school and build the program right from the get go.   Think about it, can you really succeed with kids that couldn't hack it elsewhere?    And yes, I want to win immediately just as much as anyone but I'm not betting on transfers being able to do it.    That said, I think we can make the playoffs this year with what we have.   Just gotta do it.

I really think we are expecting way too much performance out of the FBS drop downs.   These guys aren't going to be second stringers from Alabama, they will be guys who couldn't cut it on mediocre FBS teams.   These are FBS teams that aren't much better than us, we are getting are getting the scrapings that failed.    I just don't see FBS transfers as being the magic bullet that others do.

I'd rather recruit and retain top notch kids out of high school and build the program right from the get go.   Think about it, can you really succeed with kids that couldn't hack it elsewhere?    And yes, I want to win immediately just as much as anyone but I'm not betting on transfers being able to do it.    That said, I think we can make the playoffs this year with what we have.   Just gotta do it.

You still have to fill gaps that we were not able to fill in recruiting. And even with some of the good recruits we do have, it is better to let some of them redshirt rather than burn a year of eligibility.

With Neverman ineligible, it would be great to get a RB to fill in, and you can always use depth at corner and on the line. I don't think FBS dropdowns always mean immediate success, but they have generally played against tough competition and we have certainly seen success from some of them. Tillman, Hinojosa, Braden Hanson. Also a big part of what Illinois State did this past season. I don't think it should be what your program depends on, but looking at some of those player and giving them a fresh start is certainly beneficial from a depth perspective.

So ....Does anyone know who they may be looking at, or when we may hear more.

• Upvote 1

I really think we are expecting way too much performance out of the FBS drop downs. These guys aren't going to be second stringers from Alabama, they will be guys who couldn't cut it on mediocre FBS teams. These are FBS teams that aren't much better than us, we are getting are getting the scrapings that failed. I just don't see FBS transfers as being the magic bullet that others do.

I'd rather recruit and retain top notch kids out of high school and build the program right from the get go. Think about it, can you really succeed with kids that couldn't hack it elsewhere? And yes, I want to win immediately just as much as anyone but I'm not betting on transfers being able to do it. That said, I think we can make the playoffs this year with what we have. Just gotta do it.

You often times are way too pessimistic, and although that may be okay sometimes in order to see both sides of an issue, this time I think you're being too negative.

Yes, sometimes FBS transfers are who you say they are: underwhelming FBS performers who need a change of competition. However, some FBS transfers are of a different background; they are transferring because they want more playing time, not because they are poor, but because players ahead of them are just that good. Remember Alex Tillman last season, that career backup CB from Houston? Yeah, he was easily the best CB on the roster last season. Or how about Hinojosa from Minnesota? He's our best defensive lineman right now, and the starting NG. Did you watch the FCS national championship last season? If you did, you would have watched Indiana transfer Tre Roberts, the QB who led Illinios State to that game.

Point is, if the right fit is found, the player can do big things for FCS teams. High school recruits are undoubtedly the most important asset when it comes to developing depth and eventual all-conference players, but FBS transfers are usually talented players (that's why they were in the FBS to begin with) that can fill holes much faster than high school recruits.

UNDs needs more athletes (RB and CB) on its team; therefore, Bubba is searching for players who are of that mold by looking at players talented enough to be on FBS teams. RBs and CBs of a physical, talented nature would do a lot to improve UND football. Right now, not enough talent or depth at RB and CB for UND to be a top FCS team.

• Upvote 1

You often times are way too pessimistic, and although that may be okay sometimes in order to see both sides of an issue, this time I think you're being too negative.

I'm thinking 8-3 and I'm too pessimistic?   LOL

I'm thinking 8-3 and I'm too pessimistic? LOL

That record prediction is quite gracious; good work!

But as far as saying "I really think we are expecting way too much performance out of the FBS drop downs.", no one is saying an FBS transfer is going to be up for the Walter Payton Award or even an All-American spot, but rather people are expecting a talented player(s) to come on board and help the team. If the player is talented enough, he may even start and lead the team at that respective position. All in all, FBS players are at the FBS for a reason: talent and potential. And the player doesn't have to be from a "mediocre" FBS team. For example, the Minnesota team Hinojosa came from last season was above average. UND currently needs that raw talent and ability at RB,WR, and CB (skill positions); therefore, FBS transfers could be difference makers in 2015.

Sure an FBS transfer or JUCO may be able to come in and help a team immediately but that is not a guarantee. I understand why coaches keep this option open with the hope to fill some immediate gap but I agree that quality recruiting and then more importantly developing players when they get into the program is the most important. Likewise, all the talk about incoming recruits paying right away is just as unlikely. Sure there may be 2 or 3 that get some playing time but that typically doesn't happen, especially in a D-1 program. The game is faster, players are bigger and competition is greater than most have experienced in any high school environment. Support should be given to all players.

It has been repeated on here that the best strategy is to recruit high school athletes to get them in the program young and then develop them. I agree with this 100%.

However, given the coaching change and state of our program in general, FBS transfers are a must to fill gaping holes in our depth chart. Most young guys just cannot step in right away at this level and I am a fan of redshirting them their first year so they can develop mental and physical strength. This strategy takes time and we need at least two more recruiting classes until this strategy can fully take over. Until then I am happy that the coaches are always on the lookout for the right transfer.