SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

I'd rather beat the Bison and go 1 and 10

Then going 9 and 2 and be one and out in playoffs

That's how much I hate them

" you can go 11-1, and if that 1 is to those son of a guns north of us your season is not a success" Rocky Hager 1995

• Upvote 1

They are the 3 time FCS champs and until someone knocks them off they remain the champs. I understand they are very good. I get your point and I believe it is not only valid but shared by the majority of bloggers. I hope we aspire to take this University and the athletic teams beyond what they do at the Ag School. I hope we aspire to much more than a "good showing" against them. My point is that if you want to be like someone else you waste time, resources, and energy when what we should really aspire to is maximizing our own potential. That puts us in a good position to be better than our competition and that includes the AC. I think our staff knows what we need to do to get there. We need time and resources and the right kids who could give a rats behind what they are doing in Fargo cuz we aspire to be National Champions. Don't kid yourself, when we dominated the Ag School, they weren't so noisy, but they don't tend to respect us whether we beat them or not. You are right in that is can be used as a measuring stick but I don't see it as anything more and I don't see it as pivotal.

Not a theory. It's a culture change. Sicatoka has it right. Your philosophy is that we try and get to be competitive with the AC. But you have also crowned them king. My thought is that we have the mindset that what we do in the classroom, every set we do in the weight room, every sprint and drill in practice, every play in practice, every repetition is geared to maintain a culture and focus of nothing less than a maximum effort and success for what we are doing as a Sioux athlete. The goal is a national championship and the AC game will take care of itself. Right now they are the king of nothing except for those who revel in past glories. We make the future by what we do today. If you crown them king you may be beaten before you start.

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance: UND must be confident that they can beat NDSU and others on their BSC schedule, but it would be foolish to be so arrogant that one cannot recognize NDSU is a consecutive 4-time FCS national champion.

Recognition of the "King" in FCS football may actually be what's needed in order for UND to rally and pull the upset in September; beating NDSU would be a noteworthy accomplishment for the 2015 UND football squad.

Lastly, there's a difference between a pivotal game and a must-win game. UND doesn't *HAVE* to beat NDSU in September, but a good showing would be pivotal in that UND would build momentum that could then be carried into the BSC schedule. Bubba has made it no secret that the teams number 1 goal each and every season is to be Big Sky Conference champions.

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance: UND must be confident that they can beat NDSU and others on their BSC schedule, but it would be foolish to be so arrogant that one cannot recognize NDSU is a consecutive 4-time FCS national champion.

Recognition of the "King" in FCS football may actually be what's needed in order for UND to rally and pull the upset in September; beating NDSU would be a noteworthy accomplishment for the 2015 UND football squad.

Lastly, there's a difference between a pivotal game and a must-win game. UND doesn't *HAVE* to beat NDSU in September, but a good showing would be pivotal in that UND would build momentum that could then be carried into the BSC schedule. Bubba has made it no secret that the teams number 1 goal each and every season is to be Big Sky Conference champions.

On the other side of the coin, NDSU MUST win and win very big or they will have it from the fans. There's no avoiding that pressure for them. It will be a different kind of pressure than what they're used to.

They are the 3 time FCS champs and until someone knocks them off they remain the champs. I understand they are very good. I get your point and I believe it is not only valid but shared by the majority of bloggers. I hope we aspire to take this University and the athletic teams beyond what they do at the Ag School. I hope we aspire to much more than a "good showing" against them. My point is that if you want to be like someone else you waste time, resources, and energy when what we should really aspire to is maximizing our own potential. That puts us in a good position to be better than our competition and that includes the AC. I think our staff knows what we need to do to get there. We need time and resources and the right kids who could give a rats behind what they are doing in Fargo cuz we aspire to be National Champions. Don't kid yourself, when we dominated the Ag School, they weren't so noisy, but they don't tend to respect us whether we beat them or not. You are right in that is can be used as a measuring stick but I don't see it as anything more and I don't see it as pivotal.

I understand your point, but disagree.  I recently returned from the Class B tournament.  Even though the Sioux Hockey Team was playing in their conference tournament and on at least one tv in every bar I was in, it was disheartening to look at the number of Bison jerseys worn compared to Sioux jerseys.  My home town used to be pro-UND in the rivalry, but was almost exclusively wearing hometown colors or Bison wear.  It was especially sad to see the number of young athletes support the Bison.  I am so sick of listening to Bison fans I could puke.  The Sioux need a bigtime win in any sport (looking at you, hockey) very badly, and very soon.  I am worried that  Bubba's premature challenge to the Bison coupled with the away-away formula could be detremental.  

• Upvote 2

I meant 4 time champs. Anyway you and UND-FB-FAN share the opinion of most. There is nothing arrogant stating the past is past. Recognize what others have done and move on. Next years season hasn't even started. They are the "king" of the 2014-2015 season, not yet 2025-2016. Who cares what others wear? 20 years ago you didn't see all of the yellow and green here either. The Bison didn't get where they are by aspiring to get where UND was at that time. They wanted to get beyond that and they were successful. Many of their own supporters opposed their moves. Those were the ones who were more focused on where they had been and how UND was dominating them in FB. They had decision makers who took calculated risks and surpassed where we were. I am still of the opinion we need to quit focusing on them and their fans and pay closer attention to what we are doing and how we get back to championship performance in all sports. I'm not sure all of our decision makers are thinking along that same line. Our administration plans for enrollments of 20,000 in next few years. (I don't see it for 15 yrs) but if that is the case we need to be preparing now to move to whatever level best fits us as the NCAA changes the Div 1 make up. I guarantee you the Ag school decision makers are thinking ahead. By the time, we get to where they are, they will have moved on and some of us will still be frustrated waving a Sioux flag as the yellow and green parade goes by. If we focus on maximizing our own efforts and potential, the competition with them will take care of itself.

• Upvote 1

This all sounds good and by theory is correct, but it's more difficult than it sounds.

NDSU is presently the king of football and basketball in the region, and UND beating NDSU --particularly in football-- will go a long way in building confidence and putting together a championship-type season. UND football needs to gain some regional momentum and the NDSU game is one such opportunity.

UND fans will move away from NDSU comparisons once UND shows the ability to win DI conference and national championships.

Agree - seems like the company line is to not worry about what NDSU does at all and rebuild our program.  Sounds ok on the surface, but if you think that any college with an in-state rival doesn't care about the hearts, minds, and support of the residents of that state, you are delusional.  Of course Auburn cares if Alabama is getting the glory and in-state support as do Michigan and Michigan State, Kansas and K-State - well - you get the picture.  To pretend we don't care if most of the residents of the state are wearing Bison gear and screaming yellow is comparable to sticking your fingers in your ear and going la la la.  It is plenty clear to most that our administration from Kelly on down has dropped the ball on athletics among other things.  Time for us to demand a turn-around.  Bubba is a step in the right direction, but sometimes I think he is on his own as far as the athletic department is concerned.  

• Upvote 1

Agree - seems like the company line is to not worry about what NDSU does at all and rebuild our program.  Sounds ok on the surface, but if you think that any college with an in-state rival doesn't care about the hearts, minds, and support of the residents of that state, you are delusional.  Of course Auburn cares if Alabama is getting the glory and in-state support as do Michigan and Michigan State, Kansas and K-State - well - you get the picture.  To pretend we don't care if most of the residents of the state are wearing Bison gear and screaming yellow is comparable to sticking your fingers in your ear and going la la la.  It is plenty clear to most that our administration from Kelly on down has dropped the ball on athletics among other things.  Time for us to demand a turn-around.  Bubba is a step in the right direction, but sometimes I think he is on his own as far as the athletic department is concerned.  

Although it's not an apples to apples comparison, look at what happened in Idaho with the University of Idaho and Boise St.  At one time, Boise State was a junior college.  Boise is the largest city in Idaho and used that to it's advantage in gaining sponsorship's, focusing on sports, etc.  Are they the best University in the Idaho?  Academically no, but athletically, yes.  Does this mean UND should sell out and focus only on athletics, of course not.  But if we continue to be oblivious to what Fargo and NDSU are doing, we may end up in a similar scenario.  NDSU has a lot of momentum in gaining fans around the state.  Many people feel they can support UND hockey while supporting NDSU athletics since NDSU doesn't sponsor hockey.  Our Athletic Department needs to realize this and start promoting and supporting all of our athletic teams better.

• Upvote 4

He also had an attitude problem around the locker room and thought he was bigger than the university. Good riddance from what I heard! 

That's why I'm never a fan of transfers.   They washed out at the last place they were at, so why should we expect any better of them here?   I'm wondering if we won't have a few more leave by the time spring ball ends.

That's why I'm never a fan of transfers.   They washed out at the last place they were at, so why should we expect any better of them here?   I'm wondering if we won't have a few more leave by the time spring ball ends.

Unless your schools decides to close down their football program...then we will take you!!  (

We didn't have much of a choice the 1st year.....we stretched on a couple guys like Jenkins-Moore and we had 2 guys that didn't even show. We are in a much better position this year to perform our due diligence with transfers, although our pot smoking WR isn't looking so hot right now. Anyway, not everyone has the fairy tale college career from recruiting to graduation. If that is the requirement, cast the 1st stone. If the coaches like a transfer and it's their belief a player will make us a better team, I support it.

• Upvote 1

We didn't have much of a choice the 1st year.....we stretched on a couple guys like Jenkins-Moore and we had 2 guys that didn't even show. We are in a much better position this year to perform our due diligence with transfers, although our pot smoking WR isn't looking so hot right now. Anyway, not everyone has the fairy tale college career from recruiting to graduation. If that is the requirement, cast the 1st stone. If the coaches like a transfer and it's their belief a player will make us a better team, I support it.

What is the latest on our doper?    I haven't heard anything that Bubba took any action.   Maybe I just missed it, but we need to maintain discipline, even if it is just a little weed.

What is the latest on our doper?    I haven't heard anything that Bubba took any action.   Maybe I just missed it, but we need to maintain discipline, even if it is just a little weed.

2 games, just guessing.......

But, we'll have 3 guys starting that are transfers from this year. (Reed, Arrington, Johnson). Then look at Hinojsa, Flowers, Boas, Bakker, and you have 7 guys on the 2 deep for this year, all transfers. And I am probably missing a guy or two that will be on the 2 deep.

2 games, just guessing.......

But, we'll have 3 guys starting that are transfers from this year. (Reed, Arrington, Johnson). Then look at Hinojsa, Flowers, Boas, Bakker, and you have 7 guys on the 2 deep for this year, all transfers. And I am probably missing a guy or two that will be on the 2 deep.

The RB from Wyoming would have been if Bohl was a cock sucker.