SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

I feel like some of these are already known.

I'm surprised the guy the own the USHL Youngstown Phantoms hasn't tried to get Youngstown State University to add hockey. He's trying to get Robert Morris to re-add hockey. Seems like it would be easier to get Youngtown State University to add the sport and the arena is close to the school.

Lindenwood hasn't officially said they will be a NCAA D1 team next season, but the Denver PxP guy said it multiple times during the game that Lindenwood will be playing next season as a NCAA D1 team.

Thoughts of Lindenwood vs Denver:

Zombo looks to want his team be fast and Lindenwood showed their speed at times during the game

Depth is what did Lindenwood in, I honestly thought this would have been a more lopsided game then it really was

If Lindenwood make the jump next season I could see them having faster success then Penn State and Arizona State had.

For the D1 teams that don't want to play exhibition games against Canadian teams should give these ACHA D1 teams a game to see how good they are.

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

Lindenwood hasn't officially said they will be a NCAA D1 team next season, but the Denver PxP guy said it multiple times during the game that Lindenwood will be playing next season as a NCAA D1 team.

Thoughts of Lindenwood vs Denver:

Zombo looks to want his team be fast and Lindenwood showed their speed at times during the game

Depth is what did Lindenwood in, I honestly thought this would have been a more lopsided game then it really was

If Lindenwood make the jump next season I could see them having faster success then Penn State and Arizona State had.

For the D1 teams that don't want to play exhibition games against Canadian teams should give these ACHA D1 teams a game to see how good they are.

We should play Minot State (instead of Manitoba) every few years.

• 2 weeks later...

What conference would Augustana U go to? I don’t see the CCHA accepting them, the NCHC will not accept them, that pretty much puts them out of their footprint. It will get pretty costly playing as an independent. Surely they had to get assurances they would get into a conference before announcing, right?

10 minutes ago, crb1 said:

What conference would Augustana U go to? I don’t see the CCHA accepting them, the NCHC will not accept them, that pretty much puts them out of their footprint. It will get pretty costly playing as an independent. Surely they had to get assurances they would get into a conference before announcing, right?

Why wouldn't the CCHA accept them?

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Why wouldn't the CCHA accept them?

They don't have a need to expand? For the majority of the schools(LSSU, NMU, MTU, FSU, and BGSU), Augie is an outlier. Why would they want to enlarge their traveling when the main reasons of CCHA was to reduce it? I think only way Augie gets a home in the CCHA is if NCHC chooses to expand and one of the schools they invite is Mankato.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I could see Augie entering into a scheduling alliance with the other schools looking for homes. (See: Lindenwood, RMU, UAH, UAA, UAF)

Which would probably morph into a formally-established conference (like College Hockey America was in the late 1990's and early 2000's).

Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, UM-Duluth, now Augustana.  NSIC hockey in the future?  Somebody check the by-laws.  If Moorhead, SMSU, or Winona jump on the D1 train is that the magical 6th needed to force NSIC hockey?

My guess is Augie is CCHA bound.

51 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, Minnesota State, UM-Duluth, now Augustana.  NSIC hockey in the future?  Somebody check the by-laws.  If Moorhead, SMSU, or Winona jump on the D1 train is that the magical 6th needed to force NSIC hockey?

My guess is Augie is CCHA bound.

Augie will have the backing to make the move to division I. If they ended up in the Summit in other sports, would they be a "like-minded" school? 

I think they will end up somewhere. They're going to have some money and Sanford Health's might be bankrolling them. They're going to be playing in Midco Arena. 

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Augie will have the backing to make the move to division I. If they ended up in the Summit in other sports, would they be a "like-minded" school? 

I think they will end up somewhere. They're going to have some money and Sanford Health's might be bankrolling them. They're going to be playing in Midco Arena. 

Which raises a question - when the TV contract with Midco is up for renewal, does Midco say goodbye to UND hockey?

3 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Which raises a question - when the TV contract with Midco is up for renewal, does Midco say goodbye to UND hockey?

Why would they? They have more than one channel, and UND hockey is probably the biggest draw on their network.

50 minutes ago, Goon said:

Why would they? They have more than one channel, and UND hockey is probably the biggest draw on their network.

Just wondering. Do they have the talent to cover both programs? Do they have the equipment? Doesn't Alex live in Sioux Falls? I'm sure if he had the choice of a trip to GF versus staying in Sioux Falls he would prefer to sleep in his own bed. Really would like to hear people's thoughts on this topic,

2 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Just wondering. Do they have the talent to cover both programs? Do they have the equipment? Doesn't Alex live in Sioux Falls? I'm sure if he had the choice of a trip to GF versus staying in Sioux Falls he would prefer to sleep in his own bed. Really would like to hear people's thoughts on this topic,

he lives in SF? does he drive up or fly?

29 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

he lives in SF? does he drive up or fly?

Alex does lives in SF and drives up for the weekends, made the move a few years ago. I think he would stay with UND on Midco. He is a USF guy anyhow I believe. 

Also Midco has 3 channels. And SDSU/USD/Augie/USF always get put on 2nd channel if UND is playing. I would bet it would be the same. UND on Midco Sports 1 and Augie on Midco Sports 2 if on conflicting nights. Not conflicting games all on Midco1. Midco needs additional content for their secondary channels and this would help.